• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Questions About Jaap Sahib

Jaspreet08

SPNer
Feb 1, 2008
This is my first topic post. Apologizes if this has already been asked and answered.

I recently started reading Jaap Sahib, and I had a few questions about it.

1) When Guruji says God destroys or punishes the enemies (Ganeemul Shikastai or Ganeemul Khiraj Hain), is it in reference to internal enemies (e.g. Pride, Worldly Love, etc.) and our sins being are the ignorance of God's presence?

2) I also noticed Guruji describes God as causing both darkness and light,, disease and cure, life and death. Is this to show that God is the cause of everything - the good and the bad. I was bit thrown off by it the first few times I read it, but I'm trying to see past the words to the real meaning.

I apologize if these questions seem very naive or innocent, but I've only recently turned to Sikhi.

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh.

Jaspreet

svea00

SPN Sewadaar
SPNer
Feb 3, 2008
Hi Jaspreet Ji!

Thank you for asking. Interesting questions.
I´d like to know that as well.

And I´d like to add another question to this.
If God created everything (good-bad, maya as well), did he provide us with this duality or "test" to see how we would handle this and fight against it?

Maybe this is even a more naive question :)

Jaspreet08

SPNer
Feb 1, 2008
Not really naive, svea00. a lot of people seem to think along the same lines... that God is testing us.

I think he gives us whatever we want. We want something from the world - cars, money, etc. - you can get it.

In the end, however, all things except God's love and companionship is what you will want. In the meantime, he will provide with whatever you want. The test is process when you begin to let go of these worldly attachments.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
God is a mirror of your ownself. Whatever you perceive you conceive.

More Later.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM