• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Food Crisis? Try Rats, Says Bihar Govt

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Das extends the disccusiin as in todays Hindustan times we have bihar govt. encouraging the eating of rats.Das has seen people eating loctus also.In far east such things are ore common.Can as a Sikh we encourage this also as varity rather cheap varity of food.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Food crisis? Try rats, says Bihar govtFont Size - -A
+A

Reuters
Posted online: Monday , August 18, 2008 at 07:59:05
Print Email To Editor Post CommentsRelated Articles

Indian Express & Citizens for Peace Essa...
He got you right to fly Tricolour, now J...
Updated: Monday , August 18, 2008 at 07:59:05 Print Email To Editor Post CommentsRelated Articles

Indian Express & Citizens for Peace Essa...

Patna, August 18: The Bihar government is encouraging people to eat rats in an effort to battle soaring food prices and save grain stocks.

Authorities in Bihar, one of India's poorest states, are asking rich and poor alike to switch to eating rats in a bid to reduce the dependence on rice. They even plan to offer rats on restaurant menus.

"Eating of rats will serve twin purposes -- it will save grains from being eaten away by rats and will simultaneously increase our grain stock," Vijay Prakash, an official from the state's welfare department, told Reuters.

Officials say almost 50 percent of India's food grains stocks are eaten away by rodents in fields or warehouses.

Jitan Ram Manjhi, Bihar's caste and tribe welfare minister, said rat meat was a healthy alternative to expensive rice or grains, and should be eaten by one and all.

"We are very serious to implement this project since the food crisis is turning serious day by day," Manjhi, who has eaten rats, told Reuters.

In Bihar, rat meat is already eaten by Mushars, a group of lower caste Hindus, as well as poorer sections of society.

Rate this Article

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
I noticed some mainstream UK sites picking up on this story. Well done India - yet again you've presented yourselves to the world as the dashing modern country you are. :up:

Just imagine - cooking rat meat in a turkha! :shock:

eeeewwww! ::cool::

I might consider it if I was starving to death. I saw a special on SAS survival techniques. The guy made "smoked rat" and ate it! :unsure:

I'm feeling the smiley icons today......

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
There is another problem.Rat is also considered as sacred animal in Hinduism.I don't understand how bjp ruled state is exploring this idea.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Respected forum members,

In Bolivia, guinea pigs are considered a delicacy. And what is "guinea pig" in Italian? Well, it is porcellino d'india -- or the little fat piggy from India :confused: We are talking about 'Lil Squeaky!

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
RolandRat.jpg

Here is one Rat I would love to see dead! :happy:

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh
There are two tribes Musahar(in Bihar) and Iluras(in Tamil Nadu) which eat rats.

In Manusamrit one of the out caste is told to be catching the animals in borrows.Perhaps the term in Chechnu.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM