• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Father, Son Fly Together, Create Family History In IAF

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN

An Indian Air Force (IAF) AN-32 aircraft which took off from air force station Vadodara today, proceeded to create history of sorts, as it was flown by a father and son team of IAF pilots.

The sortie was flown by Air Commodore R S Sodhi, who is Air Officer Commanding at Air Force Station Vadodara and his son Flight Lieutenant Angad Singh Sodhi, who is presently posted to Squadron 12, based at air force station Agra.

Three generations of the Chandigarh-based Sodhis have served in the IAF, beginning with Flight Lieutenant Angad Singh Sodhi’s grandfather, 85-year-old retired Wing Commander Bhupender Singh Sodhi, who had joined the IAF’s administration and legal branch, in November 1949.

Both his sons too chose to join the IAF, as his elder son Air Commodore P S Sodhi joined IAF as a medical officer and is presently commanding the 5 Air Force Hospital at Jorhat. His younger son is Air Commodore R S Sodhi, who was commissioned in June 1979 as a fighter pilot and went on to achieve today’s feat, when he flew a sortie with his son Flight Lieutenant Angad Singh Sodhi, who joined the IAF as a pilot in June 2010.

Air Commodore R S Sodhi has a total of 3,500 flying hours on various aircraft and he is an alumnus of the Defence Service Staff College and College of Defence Management. He has been awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal by the President in recognition of his distinguished service of high order.

Talking to reporters after flying with his son, Air Commodore R S Sodhi said "Youth should should be motivated to join the IAF".

His unmarried son Flight Lieutenant Angad Singh Sodhi, posted to Squadron 12 at air force station Agra said, "I will encourage my son to join the IAF after I get married". He said he drew this inspiration from his father and would want his son to maintain this tradition.

His grandfather, retired Wing Commander Bhupender Singh said, "I am proud of my son and grandson for joining the IAF".

Courtesy of www.deccanherald.com

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM