• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

USA Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg Only Eats Meat He Kills Himself

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Forwarded by Gyani Jarnail Singh "Arshi"

Facebook's founder and CEO sets himself a challenge to 'basically become a vegetarian' by slaughtering his own meat

I have yet to see The Social Network, the film about the founding of Facebook, but, from what I gather, Mark Zuckerberg is portrayed as being, shall we say, a little intense.

This perception of Facebook's multi-billionaire, 27-year-old founder and CEO has been magnified over the past 24 hours by his admission that he is currently only eating meat from animals he has personally killed himself.

Earlier this month, he surprised his 847 friends on his private Facebook page when he posted: "I just killed a pig and a goat."

According to Fortune, the idea came from a chef called Jesse Cool who runs a restaurant called Flea Street Café, close to Zuckerberg's home in Palo Alto, California. She introduced him to some local farmers who showed him how best to kill his first chicken, pig and goat. "He cut the throat of the goat with a knife, which is the most kind way to do it," says Cool.

Zuckerberg has subsequently explained, via an email to Fortune, that his new-found predilection for slaughtering animals is just his latest annual challenge. Last year, he challenged himself to learn Mandarin. The year before, it was to wear a tie every day. (Given this sense of escalation, we now await next year's challenge with some interest.) He said:

This year, my personal challenge is around being thankful for the food I have to eat. I think many people forget that a living being has to die for you to eat meat, so my goal revolves around not letting myself forget that and being thankful for what I have. This year I've basically become a vegetarian since the only meat I'm eating is from animals I've killed myself. So far, this has been a good experience. I'm eating a lot healthier foods and I've learned a lot about sustainable farming and raising of animals.

I started thinking about this last year when I had a pig roast at my house. A bunch of people told me that even though they loved eating pork, they really didn't want to think about the fact that the pig used to be alive. That just seemed irresponsible to me. I don't have an issue with anything people choose to eat, but I do think they should take responsibility and be thankful for what they eat rather than trying to ignore where it came from.

I imagine some vegetarians might want to argue with him on the point of whether he can described himself as "basically a vegetarian" just because he slaughters his own dinner, but it is certainly a far more thought-provoking challenge than wearing a tie each day. In fact, I would go further and repeat the sentiment of Michael Pollan, the author of The Omnivore's Dilemma, who tweeted earlier today: "Good for him."

Anything that helps to show meat-eaters - of which I am one - the full, often harrowing process involved in getting that lump of dead animal to their plate should be encouraged. It is often noted that most meat-eaters are ignorant - and wish to remain so - about the mechanics of how an animal is reared, slaughtered, butchered and packaged for human consumption. Hopefully, Zuckerberg's high profile will ignite interest and debate around this sensitive subject.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environme...2011/may/27/mark-zuckerberg-kill-animals-meat

Attachments

• Leo-Blog--Facebook-CEO-Ma-006.jpg
    Leo-Blog--Facebook-CEO-Ma-006.jpg
    21.9 KB · Reads: 267
Oct 11, 2006
Patiala,Punjab.
Forwarded by Gyani Jarnail Singh "Arshi"

Facebook's founder and CEO sets himself a challenge to 'basically become a vegetarian' by slaughtering his own meat

I have yet to see The Social Network, the film about the founding of Facebook, but, from what I gather, Mark Zuckerberg is portrayed as being, shall we say, a little intense.

This perception of Facebook's multi-billionaire, 27-year-old founder and CEO has been magnified over the past 24 hours by his admission that he is currently only eating meat from animals he has personally killed himself.

Earlier this month, he surprised his 847 friends on his private Facebook page when he posted: "I just killed a pig and a goat."

According to Fortune, the idea came from a chef called Jesse Cool who runs a restaurant called Flea Street Café, close to Zuckerberg's home in Palo Alto, California. She introduced him to some local farmers who showed him how best to kill his first chicken, pig and goat. "He cut the throat of the goat with a knife, which is the most kind way to do it," says Cool.

Zuckerberg has subsequently explained, via an email to Fortune, that his new-found predilection for slaughtering animals is just his latest annual challenge. Last year, he challenged himself to learn Mandarin. The year before, it was to wear a tie every day. (Given this sense of escalation, we now await next year's challenge with some interest.) He said:

This year, my personal challenge is around being thankful for the food I have to eat. I think many people forget that a living being has to die for you to eat meat, so my goal revolves around not letting myself forget that and being thankful for what I have. This year I've basically become a vegetarian since the only meat I'm eating is from animals I've killed myself. So far, this has been a good experience. I'm eating a lot healthier foods and I've learned a lot about sustainable farming and raising of animals.

I started thinking about this last year when I had a pig roast at my house. A bunch of people told me that even though they loved eating pork, they really didn't want to think about the fact that the pig used to be alive. That just seemed irresponsible to me. I don't have an issue with anything people choose to eat, but I do think they should take responsibility and be thankful for what they eat rather than trying to ignore where it came from.

I imagine some vegetarians might want to argue with him on the point of whether he can described himself as "basically a vegetarian" just because he slaughters his own dinner, but it is certainly a far more thought-provoking challenge than wearing a tie each day. In fact, I would go further and repeat the sentiment of Michael Pollan, the author of The Omnivore's Dilemma, who tweeted earlier today: "Good for him."

Anything that helps to show meat-eaters - of which I am one - the full, often harrowing process involved in getting that lump of dead animal to their plate should be encouraged. It is often noted that most meat-eaters are ignorant - and wish to remain so - about the mechanics of how an animal is reared, slaughtered, butchered and packaged for human consumption. Hopefully, Zuckerberg's high profile will ignite interest and debate around this sensitive subject.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environme...2011/may/27/mark-zuckerberg-kill-animals-meat

To me it seems quite a normal to do.By the way, I rear poultry,turkies and a

few goats and I kill them myself. I have even taught my son how to skin a goat

or a rabbit.My wife also sometimes lends me a hand sometimes by holding t a broiler by its legs, while I chop-off its head. It really is fun.:singhsippingcoffee::singhbhangra:
By doing all this to claim I am trying to become a vegetarian would seem

quite far-fetched.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
IMHO..hes taking a jibe at the most popular argument Veges use for theri diet preferences...."NO KILLING for ME..I am a Vegetarian !!"...and SIKH Vegetarians also tow along this fake line....when GURU NANAK Ji and and others like Bhagat kabir Ji have made it abundantly clear that ALL LIFE is SACRED..all life is EQUALLY "life"..there is no such thing as a holy cow being more holier than a SUGAR CANE !!
Vegetrainsim is a Choice..without any need for excuses and bases...if you want to be one just be one...why drag in the Gurus, Gurbani, excuses of paap punns killing morality etc etc..to show your "holier than thou" EGO is right.
HUMAN is sardaar..highest on the FOOD CHAIN...and Gurbani does say clealry that BEINGS EAT OTHER BEINGS....and the HUMAN at the TOP of the FC can and does eat everything else..BUT its NOT "SHOULD" in any case...the choice is there.
Just as a Vegetarian cuts his own tomatoes..lady fingers and potatoes...he should also cut his own chickens..THAT is the message of FB Ceo...* I think..ha ha...Normal veges dont even think twice of another cutting and slashing the saag..the carrot..the toamto..the cucumber..BUT they hold their noses when it comes to cutting a piece of HAM ?? why ?? thats the jibe..here

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Apologies ....yes, Jasbirkaleka ji, I did get your sarcasm. I was playing "straight" or "second banana" to your "lead banana role."

What I did not get was that Zuckerberg was also being sarcastic.

Having said that, this issue of veg/not veg nearly always turns into a slapstick comedy act,

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: