• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Embracing Sikhi, Becoming A Sikh: What Am I Truly Embracing?

ragu96

SPNer
Jul 15, 2010
Question I have been considering as I have recently begun embracing Sikhism - kase, turban and bani.

I was watching a video on american exceptionalism - the idea that america is something special and is a example to the rest of the world. It seems that most of the founding fathers agreed on this one. It seems it is this idea that was a driving force for many of these men; they were driven to do great things because they were driven to make there country better etc.

Now with the lens of sikhism I find it hard to by into any nationalism at all. And for that matter any identity what so ever. I feel detached from all of it. Problem is I think you need to be attached to some sort of banner to progress in life and to motivate you further.

My question is how does a person motivate themselves and at the same time avoid the five theives. And if someone has suggestions, could they also provide examples of people as well?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I am not sure that the title of the thread reflects what you are saying in the thread, except for one sentence. So I am changing the title. Thanks.

jnanavan

SPNer
Aug 21, 2010
You are embracing the teachings of the gurus, simple. A sikh is essantialy embracing the virtues, wisdom and teachings of the 10 masters now manifested as the holy living text Guru , Guru Granth Sahib.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
From Sikh Rehat Maryada section on Baptism:

[SIZE=-1]o. After this the five beloved ones, all together in chorus communicating the name of Waheguru to all who have been administered the ambrosial baptism, recite to them the Mul Mantar (basic creed, seminal chant) and make them repeat it aloud : [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] Ik aunkar satnam karta purakh nirbhau nirwair akal murat ajuni saibhang gur prasad. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]p. After this, one from amongst the five beloved ones should explain to the initiates the discipline of the order : * Today you are reborn in the true Guru's household, ending the cycle of migration, and joined the Khalsa Panth (order). *Your spiritual father is now Guru Gobind Singh and spiritual mother, Mata Sahib Kaur. *Your place of birth is Kesgarh Sahib and your native place is Anandpur Sahib. You, being the sons of one father, are, inter-se yourselves and other baptised Sikhs, spiritual brothers. You have become the pure Khalsa, having renounced your previous lineage, professional background, calling (occupation), beliefs, that is, having given up all connections with your caste, descent, birth, country, religion, etc. You are to worship none except the One Timeless Being (Waheguru) no God, Goddess, incarnation or prophet. You are not to think of anyone except the ten Gurus and anything except their gospel as your saviour. You are supposed to know Gurmukhi (Punjabi alphabet). (If you do not, you must learn it). And recite, or listen in to the recitation of, the under mentioned scriptural compositions, the daily repetition of which is ordained, every day :(1) The Japuji Sahib, (2) The Jaap Sahib, (3) The Ten Sawayyas (Quartrains), beginning "sarawag sudh", (4) The Sodar Rahiras and the Sohila. Besides, you should read from or listen in to the recitation from the Guru Granth Sahib . Have, on your person, all the time, the five K's :[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]I. The Keshas (unshorn hair),
II. The Kirpan {sheathed sword} (The length of the sword to be worn is not prescribed.,
III. The Kachhehra (The Kachhehra (drawers like garment) may be made from any cloth, but its legs should not reach down to below the shins.),
IV. The Kanga (comb),
V. The Karha {steel bracelet} (The Karha should be of pure steel.)
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] The undermentioned four transgressions (tabooed practices) must be avoided [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1. Dishonouring the hair;
2. Eating the meat of an animal slaughtered the Muslim way;
3. Cohabiting with a person other than one's spouse;
4. Using tobacco.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] In the event of the commission of any of these transgressions, the transgressor must get baptised again. If a transgression is committed unintentionally and unknowingly, the transgressor shall not be liable to punishment. You must not associate with a Sikh who had uncut hair earlier and has cut it or a Sikh who smokes. You must ever be ready for the service of the Panth and of the Gurdwaras (Sikh places of worship). You must tender one tenth (Daswand) of your earnings to the Guru.
In short, you must act the Guru's way in all spheres of activity.
You must remain fully aligned to the Khalsa brotherhood in accordance with the principles of the Khalsa faith. If you commit transgression of the Khalsa discipline, you must present yourself before the congregation and beg pardon, accepting whatever punishment is awarded. You must also resolve to remain watchful against defaults in the future.[/SIZE]

It seems wrong to use an example from science-fiction, but in the series Star Trek, set in the future, the star fleet don't have money. The crew of the star ship don't get paid. They encounter aliens who ask them "Why do you bother if you don't get paid"? and the captain responds that betterment of human society and exploration of the universe are what the people want, not riches and possessions so much.

I think it rings true -- you can motivate yourself for the betterment of human society. Not necessarily identifying with American society, or Indian society, or British society, but look for the human society.

Sorry, I can't give you any examples of people (unless Captain Picard counts?! :rofl:)

Ishna

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM