• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Education: The Only Survival For Sikhi

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
The only solution to save our Sikhi from disaster is EDUCATION. When the clergy of the Takhats is uneducated academically, intellectually and from the Gurmat view point then what is bred is ego and me-ism where if anyone bats an eye and questions and challenges the set traditions which contradict Gurmat and the teachings of SGGS, he/she becomes an outcast and is stoned in a metaphorical sense.

In order to keep our Sikhi house in order the first prerequisite should be that at least all Jathedaars of the Takhats and head Granthis of the Gurdwaras, starting from Harmader Sahib should have Phd in Gurmat studies and fluency in English.

Just memorsing the SGGS and parroting it not only an insult to our Gurus but to Sikhi.

Only educated clergy can modify the SRM to its present needs. Then only SRM can become a flowing document which can be adapted with the changes that time and the understanding of SGGS requires.

Now the question arises HOW to sow the seeds of all this so the future generations can reap and savour the true Sikhi fruit?

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
VaheguruSeekr ji

It will be very interesting to see what responses you receive. Not just here in the forum --- but let's say you float this idea in other venues. What do you think the response will be? :confused: I don't know about the need for a Ph.D. -- but some level of formal training in Sikh philosophy and theology would seem right.

And do you think politics would leave the arena? Or would politics remain but become subtler, crafty? HMMM ;) Maybe harder to spot right off? Maybe more difficult to face down in the breach?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Tejwant Singh Jio,
Gurfateh.

I agree with Antonia Ji's suggestion above. It would be useful to place the SPN Community into the loop....maybe you can compile all the emails you send me (and others) on the subjects of Education/Miracles/reincarnation/84 lakh joons etc etc...so that more enlightened souls on SPN can really benefit from your knowledge.

We are all well into our age...lets use the remaining time to get our ideas across before we get the Call..Ghalleh ayeh nanaka Saddeh utth jayeh....and take all that with us...it would be such a loss to the Youth who need all the guidance they can get.

Thank you Ji.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Giani Jarnail Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

Excellent idea. In fact this is one of those emails that I have posted it here. In doing what you have requested, I would need your help if you do not mind. Please email me and help me sort out the emails that you would think would benefit this beautiful, new, curious, always open to learn paneeri.

Thanks and Regards.

Tejwant Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Guru Piayario Jio,
gurfateh.
Will do that asap. Just give me a day or two.

2. BTW the "cross-posting" bamboo curtain the mods are hiding behind...is an euphermism for.... We are EXCLUSIVE...post ONLY to US...and thus FORCE others to join our membership by EXCLUDING all others from the posts.
Exact same attitude of DOG IN THE MANGER that we often see in the GURDWARAS...every Committee of every Gurdwara wants the "members" to ONLY use OUR Granthi..OUR SGGS BIR (GOLUCK)...etc..etc.... Even if a memeber has his own copy of the SGGS at his home...( GRUDGINGLY....its OK then.) .....BUT please do send the GOLUCK to US....after all its the Goluck that we really want !!

3. Instead of clicking on the CC button..click on the BCC button....in that case the CC remains HIDDEN.......and your friends Emails remain PRIVATE ( its not beyond some to STEAL such email addresses and then send them INVITATIONS/or forcibly ENROLL them as Members !! EK panth do kaaj !! As a matter of Principle i REFuSE to be a memeber of any biased Forum no matter what its "name" may suggest about Gurmatt/Sikhi Learning :yes:etc.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
VaheguruSeekr ji

It will be very interesting to see what responses you receive. Not just here in the forum --- but let's say you float this idea in other venues. What do you think the response will be? :confused: I don't know about the need for a Ph.D. -- but some level of formal training in Sikh philosophy and theology would seem right.

And do you think politics would leave the arena? Or would politics remain but become subtler, crafty? HMMM ;) Maybe harder to spot right off? Maybe more difficult to face down in the breach?

Antonia ji,

By Phd, I did not mean, Passed Highschool with Difficulty.;)

Balkar Singh

SPNer
Oct 30, 2008
Dear Tejwant Singh,
Yes education , but what kind of education ? Gurbani gives us examples of educated people.
1) Fools are the educated who have greed, temptation and ego. Vaar Majh M-1 GGS-140
2) Deers, eagles and touts, if trained/educated , bring their own community to the trap.waar malhar M-1 GGS-1288
3) You will be in high spirits,all the day-long ,if you sit near the educated who think over good and evil and reject the falsehood. M-2 GGS-146

Please note the difference .There are so many such Holy-sayings in Gurbani

A) I don't know a single institute which gives Gurmat education alongwith acadmic degrees. Please tell me if you know one !

B) Are the academic degree holders ready to be a devotional granthy ? if so

C) Is it possible that the koor-pardhani system will allow them to serve the Satguru and not the management/employers ?
The subject is great and must be completed and followed.

with regards, dass
Balkar Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Balkar Singh Ji
Gurfateh.

I am sure Tejwant Ji didnt want the "parriah moorakh akheayeah..types....you know the so educated...who pick holes in everything just to show one upmanship.
What we wnat and need are the DOWN TO EARTH types..reasonably educated 9 to stand up in the world - Just look at our GURUS....right from Guur nanak ji who went to SCHOOL - First the F{censored}e one to study the Islamic tradition..then the Pandit to study Hinduism/related subjects..he also went to Learn Accounts/Maths etc so that he could work. The other Gurus were also "Educated" ( in worldly sense) as wella s Dhurron Warsai Hoyeh ( blessed from Creator)..Thus WORLDLY EDUCATION and SPIRITUAL EDUCATION must BOTH be present in a successful SIKH.
We certainly dont wnat a totally "spiritual Sikh" who cant get / hold a decent job to earn honest livelihood... ( wittness the hordes of Gyanis/Ragis/Kathawachaks/Granthis/Kirtaniyas etc who are solely dependnat on SGGS/GURDWARAS for daily bread. GURU NANAK JI certainly DID NOT earn his daily bread from Singing KIRTAN..He was a FARMER..but our "holy Men" today dont wnat or cannot qualify for decent outside jobs as they dotn have a decent education. In other words they are UNFIT for anything except what they do...parrot Gurbani/ritualise gurbani/sing Gurbani for a living. Period.
This type of PRIESTHOOD was NOT encouraged in GURMATT...whereby EACH SIKH is to be His Own Kirtaniyah..paathi..ardassiah.)
So Now that we have descended into a situation that we must have "professional" ragis/granthsi etc to do our JOB for us...then least of all we can suggest that these be BASIC EDUCATED..in ENGLISH..PUNJABI...have knowledge fo Science/Maths/General knowledge.Comparative religions/ etc etc rathere than just memorised Gurbani limited to a few shabds/ardass etc.

GURUS ennvisaged SIKHS to be ALL ROUNDERS..saints..soldiers..academics..professionals...linguists....we must strive towards that...
It is said that the SIKH is the BEST FARMER...the BEST SOLDIER...and we are the best in many others..and must strive to be so....its NOT a tall order...

Balkar Singh

SPNer
Oct 30, 2008
Thanks Arshi ji I whole-heartedly agree and respect your thoughts. It's must and hope that with Guru's grace ,the day come to fulfill it Thanks a lot.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Dear Tejwant Singh,
Yes education , but what kind of education ? Gurbani gives us examples of educated people.
1) Fools are the educated who have greed, temptation and ego. Vaar Majh M-1 GGS-140
2) Deers, eagles and touts, if trained/educated , bring their own community to the trap.waar malhar M-1 GGS-1288
3) You will be in high spirits,all the day-long ,if you sit near the educated who think over good and evil and reject the falsehood. M-2 GGS-146

Please note the difference .There are so many such Holy-sayings in Gurbani

A) I don't know a single institute which gives Gurmat education alongwith acadmic degrees. Please tell me if you know one !

B) Are the academic degree holders ready to be a devotional granthy ? if so

C) Is it possible that the koor-pardhani system will allow them to serve the Satguru and not the management/employers ?
The subject is great and must be completed and followed.

with regards, dass
Balkar Singh

Balkar Singh ji,

Guru fateh.

What you said is right. Thanks for sharing all the mine fields facing Sikhi.

I have no answers to your valid questions. That is why I put it in open for all of us to brain storm in order to find solutions because the fact remains we have none at the moment.

Isn't brainstorming the new word borrowed from Shabad Vichaar?

Allow me to paint an abstract about Gurmat education that is needed and please pitch in with your ideas.

1. Education that can give us the tools to instill the concept of Miri-Piri so that we can find balance in our daily life from infancy onwards.

2. Education that can teach us to build a bridge between devotion and pragmatism so that the devotion does not become the opium whose effect is very transistory but an engine to lead a pragmatic life.

3. Education that can teach us to feed the hungry and help the needy rather than having langar banquets in the name of Sangat-Pangat concept and offering rumallahs after rumallahs to SGGS.

4.Education that can teach us how to cultivate Shabad Vichaar so it can put into practive in our daily lives rather than just parroting Gurbani.

5. Education that can teach us how to find the Gurmat Fulcrum - Sehaj within.

As the saying goes," People do not plan to fail but fail to plan.".

We have been doing the latter ever since our 10th Guru, Guru Gobind Singh ji bestowed upon us our last and only Guru, SGGS.

Tejwant Singh

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
WHAT IS YR aim by saying all this?Should we have education for all people in SGPC and Gurudwaras or not?
if u need education then we should find a way.
Simply raising questions does not help.
We have educational streams on religion in universities.
We should find a way to make it more attractive...
for example... making it preferable for every granthi to be a graduate( do not argue on this... it is just a suggestion)
Let them STUDY ALL OTHER RELIGION..
When we buy something, we compare it with all other similar items... so Our religious leader must be sure that they know what other religions are.

By the way... there are so much discussion about hairs but only two pages about education in sikhi

Josh martin

SPNer
Jul 8, 2009
sacramento, CA
Shame on anyone who who thinks Sikhism can be saved by us or We have say in what will happen whatsoever. Since when did sikhs assume this responsibility from the Guru Sahib?:welcome:

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
Josh ji

Religions are man made things and all man made things need to be protected by humans and not God.

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
We certainly dont wnat a totally "spiritual Sikh" who cant get / hold a decent job to earn honest livelihood...

Gyani Jarnail Singh Ji,

In my humble view, holding a job to earn an honest living (to fulfill our required needs) doesn't require any education. A totally uneducated person can do it and can be totally spiritual at the same time. There had been many many examples in the world.....you can find these kind of people in every religion including Sikh Faith.

Education doesn't bring honest livlihood and spirituality. But for sure-- Spiritual advancement opens the doors to all kinds of knowledge and wisdom as well as it inculcates honesty.

A Spiritual person does everything without expectation of any result. Honest living is their trait...I have not met a single spiritual soul who is not earning his/her livlihood honestly irrespective of their education level. Tell me if you have....

A Spiritual person has access to the absolute knowledge(which covers wordly wisdom as well). Answer to everything comes from within...........
Guru Ji taught his own school teacher(we dont need to go far to see that!!!!).....

A person can be very highly educated but not spiritual at all--
A person who is evolved spiritualy does'nt require worldly education. It comes from within. He/she is the most educated...just like Guru Ji--Who has the capacity and courage to teach a teacher..........

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
In my humble view, holding a job to earn an honest living (to fulfill our required needs) doesn't require any education. A totally uneducated person can do it and can be totally spiritual at the same time. There had been many many examples in the world.....you can find these kind of people in every religion including Sikh Faith.
Look at a bigger picture and a real possibilty:
An uneducated person becoming a raagi to earn money even though he is not spiritual. he may be just faking it. Many are doing it. It is good money.
That is why a process and rules are required for every profession. If he/ she gets education along with spiritual motivation, there is no harm in it. It will be MUCH MUCH better. Such people can be our true guides and take the religion to higher level.
It can be done by standardisation. I think Christians have done some standardisation.How do they select their clergy?
Uneducated impersonators may even misleed for their own gain. World is not so simple and easy. Even jarnail singh Bhindranwale was congress supporter in 1980. Still he manged to become what he did. It is easy to influence people. We must be sure that our religious leaders are good. Education may not be 100% solution but it reduces error margin to a large extent.
Again, people are not so simple. You just need one person to make or break.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
An uneducated person becoming a raagi to earn money even though he is not spiritual. he may be just faking it. Many are doing it. It is good money.

May be an educated person will never try to become a raagi or bhai ji because educated people are the most egoistic people on earth more than who have money.They always
want white collar jobs and when these jobs are not available they just sit idle

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: