• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Earrings Allowed?

Kamala

Banned
May 26, 2011
Canada.
Okay so the other forum never explained anything clearly to me. I was wondering if a female Sikh woman who has taken Amrit be allowed to get her ear's priced? Vaccines are allowed that make a hole inside one's body but why not earrings? If it's about you cannot wear jewelry I always see Sikh women wearing like rings and such but why not earrings? On one's own will is it okay? On a question I see here "http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110412003414AA1SWSe" people say it's okay but I want to know what you guys feel about this. Many Hindu Devi's take Amrit and they still wear earrings. I also heard a quote "If Hinduism is a Tree, Sikhism is a fruit on the tree" is that quote true? Thank you! I look forward to you're views.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Welcome and thanks for the first post.

I believe the question of body ornaments have been covered in other threads but I don't have a quick reference. If I find one I will edit my post if it helps.

As far as the following excerpted in your post,

I also heard a quote "If Hinduism is a Tree, Sikhism is a fruit on the tree" is that quote true?

This quote goes in the general line of making Sikhism appear like part of Hinduism. It is belittling and a way to create falsehoods.

You may wish to review the following thread too among others,

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/interfaith-dialogues/35502-are-the-sikhs-hindus-2.html#post146841

Sikhism does not need a Hindu tree in the sense of a fruit needing a tree or a bush.

Sikhism stood up and developed to correct the mis-leading and controlling mechanisms of Brahmins through their propagation of rites, rituals and beliefs and control manipulation of the masses.

In a more martial sense Sikhism stood up against Islam and its ways of conversion of infidels (anyone non Muslim) and belief on paths to Hell and Heaven through intermediaries.

Just a quick summary if it helps to clarify.

Sat Sri Akal.

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
For your information:

Sikh Rehit Maryada ( THE CODE OF SIKH CONDUCT AND CONVENTIONS )

Section Four, Chapter X
Living in Consonance with Guru's Tenets (Gurmat Rehni)

Article XVI :

( k ) Piercing of nose or ears for wearing ornaments is forbidden for Sikh men and women.

source: http://www.sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/section_four.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can Sikh ladies wear earrings, makeup, and other jewellery?

According to the Panthic Sikh Rehat Maryada, there is no objection to wearing any kind of jewellery by an Amritdhari person provided one does not have to pierce his/her ear, nose or any part of the body to wear it.

ਚ) ਸਿੱਖ ਮਰਦ ਅਥਵਾ ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ ਨੂੰ ਨੱਕ, ਕੰਨ, ਛੇਦਨਾ ਮਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਹੈ ।
"k. Piercing of nose or ears for wearing ornaments is forbidden for Sikh men and women."
(SRM: Ch. 10, Article 16)

Gurbani says:

ਜੈਸੇ ਸੀਗਾਰੁ ਕਰੈ ਦੇਹ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨਾ ਨਕਟੇ ਨਕ ਕੀਕ ॥੩॥
"They may adorn and decorate their bodies, but without the Naam, they look like their noses have been cut off. ||3||"
(Ang 1336)

ਮਾਨੁਖੁ ਬਿਨੁ ਬੂਝੇ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਆਇਆ ॥
ਅਨਿਕ ਸਾਜ ਸੀਗਾਰ ਬਹੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਜਿਉ ਮਿਰਤਕੁ ਓਢਾਇਆ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
"Without understanding (the value of human life), his coming into the world is useless.
He puts on various ornaments and many decorations, but it is like dressing a corpse. ||Pause||"
(Ang 712)

During the olden days, the wearing of earrings and nose rings indicated slavery. The owners used them to identify their slaves. This does not fit in the Khalsa culture. We, the Khalsa, enjoy full freedom and are not slaves of any person or even of any god; hence we feel it degrading to wear earrings.

The reader may be surprised to know that wearing earrings is a recent fad. In early 1960s, when Dr. Gurbakhsh Singh visited the USA for higher studies, he did not see any woman or a girl with earrings. Rather he found, coeds chuckling at the ‘silly’ act on Indian women students piercing their ears and putting rings in them. They believed that it was practice of backward and uncultured people. (In 1961 two American friends of the Dr. Gurbakhsh Singh showed their concern about this hurtful and meaningless Indian custom).

What a U-turn fashion has taken now! All females young or old, almost without exception, are now seen wearing earrings. The size and design of the rings have no limits. The earrings have grown long enough to touch the shoulders and they swing around when the head is suddenly moved to left or right. Such fads come and go to be replaced by new ones. Wearing lipstick, earrings, skirts, and keeping long hair by boys is another example. However it is healthier for the mind and convenient for the body to live and dress simply and gracefully.

Those who avoid such fads enjoy greater and everlasting peace of mind and keep themselves free from self-inflicted punishment. It also strengthens their mind to think independently and live as leaders among their peers.

source: http://www.sikhism101.com/node/189

Kamala

Banned
May 26, 2011
Canada.
If earrings show slavery then why did the Hindu Devi's/ Dev's wear earrings? o_O Like even before the 1900 I can guarantee in Rajasthan almost every man had earrings. Is it still bad if you wear earrings and pray so much in the day like how it is told to do prayers?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I think that there is one sentence that will cause considerable confusion in this conversation.

"If Hinduism is a Tree, Sikhism is a fruit on the tree"

As forum member Ambarsaria ji has stated: Sikhism is not the fruit of Hinduism. It is not a form of Hinduism, nor is it an offshoot of Hinduism. In fact, "Hinduism" did not exist as a religion until the time of the British raj. Before that "Hindu" was the Mughal/Muslim term for Brahmins. The British also followed along for more than a century, until the 19th Century when they began to group members of all dharmic religions as Hindus.

Therefore, Guru Nanak would not and could not begin a radical religious and ethical movement based on a "Hindu" religion ...because Hinduism did not exist.

Some "Hindu" swamis and academics even today say that the term "Hindu" is a misleading label for a very diverse group of religions that draw guidance from the ancient vedas.

Now, when we accept that Sikhism is not the fruit of Hinduism, then it does not matter what Hindu Devi's did before, during, or after taking "amrit." It is irrelevant whether they pierced their ears or wore earings. It takes us off track. It is irrelevant to Sikhs.

Next, it is a fact that body piercing is forbidden to Sikhs who have taken amrit sanchar/khande da pahul. That is clearly given in the Sikh Rehat Maryada. There is no use arguing about it, because here again the actions of Hindu Devi's is unrelated/irrelevant.

Yes, Punjabi Sikh women wear jewelry. Jewelry is also a very common way to gift a new bride. The jewelry includes rings, neck chains, wrist and ankle bracelets. Wearing jewelry is permitted. Clip-on earrings and earrings with little screws in the back are permitted. Pierced earrings ....not permitted to amritdhari Sikhs.

Earrings and nose-rings did not only identity slaves. Earrings and other forms of piercings identified membership in yogic cults, such as the followers of Gorakh, who in the times of the Gurusahiban wore huge earrings. To clearly mark the difference between Sikhi and forms of Hindu belief, the Sikh Rehat Maryada forbade piercings.

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
This was Guru Nanak's point!

Ang 6, Pauree 28

ਮੁੰਦਾ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਸਰਮੁ ਪਤੁ ਝੋਲੀ ਧਿਆਨ ਕੀ ਕਰਹਿ ਬਿਭੂਤਿ ॥
Mundhaa Santhokh Saram Path Jholee Dhhiaan Kee Karehi Bibhooth ||
Make contentment your ear-rings, humility your begging bowl, and meditation the ashes you apply to your body.

ਖਿੰਥਾ ਕਾਲੁ ਕੁਆਰੀ ਕਾਇਆ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਡੰਡਾ ਪਰਤੀਤਿ ॥
Khinthhaa Kaal Kuaaree Kaaeiaa Jugath Ddanddaa Paratheeth ||
Let the remembrance of death be the patched coat you wear, let the purity of virginity be your way in the world, and let faith in the Lord be your walking stick.

ਆਈ ਪੰਥੀ ਸਗਲ ਜਮਾਤੀ ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ ॥
Aaee Panthhee Sagal Jamaathee Man Jeethai Jag Jeeth ||
See the brotherhood of all mankind as the highest order of Yogis; conquer your own mind, and conquer the world

The pauree is talking about the yogis who made a public show of begging. And, as followers of Gorakh, they were recognized by their earrings. Guru Nanak is saying that symbols of your piety, like earrings, are meaningless, making a show of your poverty by begging is meaningless, wearing ashes, wearing a patched coat, and all of your abstinence from sex, all is meaningless, if you do not see all of mankind as one. The tuk, Aaee Panthhee Sagal Jamaathee Man Jeethai Jag Jeeth ||, is an outright rejection of the caste system, and all that Brahmins stood for (to include Hindu Devis and the yogis as well).

Therefore, what is or was part of the Brahmin tradition has nothing to do with Sikhi. You cannot use it as back up for the earring question.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Im no expert, but from what I understand, to do anything forbidden takes you further away from the light, and to heed the guru's advice brings you closer.

I would imagine being pierced and wearing rings is an encouragement for at least 3 of the five thieves. I don't believe there are scales to label things, other than how far away or how close you feel to gurmukh.

It clearly all depends on what sort of relationship you desire with the creator, for those who would put it above everything else, there are no grey areas, but the majority of people, including myself, make an effort to follow the way, but as long as it causes as little discomfort to my 'life' as possible. Of course my 'life' is nothing, and ignoring the love I feel, largely pointless without the hunt for way.

So I suppose in some respects its a 1, in some its a 10, depending on why you are doing it, where you are in the process of the hunt and where it leads to.

I do not speak with any authority of sikhi, just my own interpretation, I am sure someone more wiser than myself will also comment on this

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
harry ji, I think I disagree somewhat

I would imagine being pierced and wearing rings is an encouragement for at least 3 of the five thieves

She does not wear earrings ji! But the wife of granthi ji at my gurdwara wears a large gold ring on every finger. And she is one great model of Gurmat learning and self-composure.

Toe rings are common in sangat, and bracelets. All of these can magnetize 3 of those 5 thieves. But I think only if a person is pre-disposed to be seduced by them. That is when self regulation kicks in and we show we have the backbone to set limits for ourselves. To me it is just like being able to take a Percoset for post-surgical pain according the doctor's orders, without being afraid that I will lose control and become addicted to pain medication.

In my own small world I do not want to be an extremist who says NO and blindly follows "the rules" which may have nothing to do with true morality. Not like a fanatic who would use Gurbani to ban jewelry because the shabads in question are poorly understood.

Guru Nanak is not saying No to earrings. He is saying No to pierced earrings and anything else that harken back to a Brahmin identity that was mired in castism, ritual, ritual purification, animal sacrifice, false humility, while having no real grip on the suffering it caused for centuries to all women and anyone who was not a Brahmin.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Spnadminji,

If it is the piercing and the piercing alone then that is the issue. However surely people get a piercing to insert earings in them. It reminds me of a story of a sikh back in Punjab who burnt his beard off, as that would not constitute cut Kesh. I think the issue is what exactly is the sin, earings or piercings.Or indeed is it pierced earings, but not clip ons!

Gurbani does say a lot of things, and I am certainly no extremist, however if we were to uphold the laws of sikhi to the letter, including mental conduct, the gurdwaras would be empty, it is not the principal of upholding rather than knowing what exactly is the sin in the first place, surely gurdwara are places of learning, not a meeting place for the elite

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Dear 13800038 ji some comments,

How much of a sin is wearing earrings? 1-10 (10=worst)

You got to recognize that Sikh Rehat Maryada (a Guide to living the Sikhi way) does not talk about identified behaviors as evil or Sins but as indiscretions with intent or without intent (i.e. innocent mistakes). With that clarification I note the following,

• Rating
    • Adult doing the indiscretion with knowledge
      • Less than "1" as it is not a Kurehat or discretion requiring re-baptization
      • This is classified as Tankahayieh (subject to penalty like do Langar or other sewa with focus more on labor like effort) if the person doing the indiscretion seeks forgiveness from a Sikh congregation
      • It is also worth noting that Sikh Rehat Maryada has no place for vigilantism either. In such cases the transgressor is in-charge of seeking remedy and not anyone else can force or chastise them into doing so. Again the emphasis is internal recognition by the person themselves for any corrections rather than external force.
    • Anyone including children doing so without knowledge
      • "0"
Another related point to note perhaps is that Sikhi starts from inside out. So developing understanding, working with the understanding, living with the understanding is as if more important of a pre-requisite to being a good Sikh. In other words cleanliness inside is far too important versus external persona or compliance. External should naturally follow internal.

Sat Sri Akal.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
How much of a sin is wearing earrings?

This is something I was thinking of other day. I think there is no Sin. No Sin is bad and no good deed is pious. God doesn't see it that way. The Sin and Good concept is for you to measure. Where are you going? If you are going from Human Life (H) to God Union (G), then maybe you go 3 steps towards G. At times you might go one step away from G towards H. For God it is just a step. Step means a passage of time. Your time going away in thinking if you should wear earrings or not. Have this jewelery or that. Eating meat or not. What time to do Paath. All that thinking is either taking you away from God or making you stand still, and time gets wasted. Think of the clock, it goes tick-tock, tick-tock and you know it works fine. As long as you go Wahe-Guru, Wahe-Guru, you should be fine. very fine.

But since you are playing with doubts, I will add to it. Guru Gobind Singh threw away His gold bangles into river at Patna Sahib, for He felt them to be bounding in some way. Rest is your wish.

I think the problem is that now as a Sikh, we get ready and all groomed up (like we do to go before party) and before it is long, we have run out of time for Naam Simran. I think the best way is to do Kathin Naam Simran and realize what things you need and you don't in life. Or first Give up everything, do Naam Simran and add things to your life which you need. But basically stick to Naam Simran and Gurbani.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I do not think there is a "sin" in the piercing or in the earrings. "Sin" is not a concept in Sikhi; it is consistent with Abrahamic religions. But if there were a "sin" it would be in the haumei that comes with taking pride in one's false identity, and sporting earrings, piercings, patched coats, begging bowls to prove your pride is justified. In other words, thinking you are some kind of Brahmin, different from others, severed from your deepest connection to the divine and to everyone else.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
As a seeker of the ultimate truth, you get quite used to little droplets of knowledge in the most unusual places, and from the most abstract of statements. I have to confess to be being surprised at SPNadminji's story about his Granthiji's wife.

It was still on my mind as I walked the dogs that evening, surely, if you were in the light, or at least on the right path, both of which statements apply to Granthiji's wife, why would you want to have a large gold ring on each finger. I have never understood the attraction of jewelry myself, I wear none, and my wife wears very little, however that is our choice, jewelry has always been, for me, a rather pointless pursuit. However we are all different, and by the time I had got home, I still could not figure out to what end anyone would go as far as 10 large gold rings. I mentioned it to my wife over dinner, 'why do you think a gursikh lady should not wear gold rings, as many as she wants', she asked.I replied 'why would she want to, surely she has found the creator, what benefit could it have', my dear wife then said 'maybe she likes rings.., being a gursikh surely doesn't mean you have to walk around in rags to show everyone how holy you are, maybe she likes rings, and those ten large rings on her hands are there to show everyone that gursikhs should still live and enjoy life but under the laws of sikhi, as we are all individuals'

The Granthiji's wife, I then thought must be highly intelligent to draw attention to a facet of sikhism that is extremely valid. We are not meant to be ascetics , we are meant to enjoy family life, and pretty things, and find our happiness not only within the creator, but our own individual foibles, as long as they do not undermine the teachings of sikhi.

I have a passion for Range Rovers, upto 1994, the shape, bearing, and noise of a 4.2 V8 is beautiful, I have no wish to see myself as better than the next man, and although I have sold my LSE, and drive my fathers old mondeo, it always worried me a bit that I was being showy, (although as an old auntie pointed out once, well its hardly new is it), but the point is I suppose, if your heart is pure, and your intentions are pure, then I suppose this lady stands like a beacon to other people, eat well but modestly, dress nicely, enjoy yourselves and gods creation, live within the boundries of sikhi and you can still be yourselves, individuals,

of course i could have got all this wrong, in which case I am not discussing these things with my wife anymore

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
These things should come from the inside. As I grew closer to Waheguru and the Sikh way of life I had no desire to wear earrings or other adornments anymore and now rarely wear any jewellery or make up. There is no sin in Sikhi, just the difference in whether you are walking the path to being a manmukh or a gurmukh. Enforcing these rules can also be counterproductive. Making people aware of why they are so attached to their jewels is a constructive way I think.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Harry Haller ji some comments on your post,

As a seeker of the ultimate truth, you get quite used to little droplets of knowledge in the most unusual places, and from the most abstract of statements. I have to confess to be being surprised at SPNadminji's story about his Granthiji's wife.

..... Harry: I mentioned it to my wife over dinner,

• Please keep mentioning things to your wife and share her wisdom here. She is a brilliantly perceptive and gifted lady.

..... wife: 'why do you think a gursikh lady should not wear gold rings, as many as she wants', she asked.

• Harry Haller ji scratches his head lol
..... Harry: I replied 'why would she want to, surely she has found the creator, what benefit could it have',

• Reasonable response
..... my dear wife then said: 'maybe she likes rings.., being a gursikh surely doesn't mean you have to walk around in rags to show everyone how holy you are, maybe she likes rings, and those ten large rings on her hands are there to show everyone that gursikhs should still live and enjoy life but under the laws of sikhi, as we are all individuals'

• Now that is wisdom to behold mundahug for all who are caught up in little things like,
    • Ladies asked to wear turban not that they like it
    • Ladies asked not to wear makeup not that they don't want to
    • Downplaying the concept of beauty or looking beautiful for females and looking handsome for males as though it is evil
    • So on ....

...... Harry: if your heart is pure, and your intentions are pure, then I suppose this lady stands like a beacon to other people, eat well but modestly, dress nicely, enjoy yourselves and gods creation, live within the boundries of sikhi and you can still be yourselves, individuals,

• Thank you well said

..... Harry: of course i could have got all this wrong, in which case I am not discussing these things with my wife anymore

• Harry Haller ji and your wife ji don't got it wrong but got it very right, thank you in describing it so well

Thanks again for the great post.

Sat Sri Akal.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Now that I have said all I want to say about ShabadGuru on the topic, it is time for me to get down to earth and practical.

Why does it take you farther away from Waheguru if you wear jewelry? Why does it make you less of a gursikh if you wear jewelry? I have never figured that out. How does wearing jewelry, make-up or an richly embroidered silk kameez get in the way of the distance and direction travelled by your brain? This has to be a very individual thing...if you cannot focus on ShabadGuru whilst wearing a ring or two, take them off! I am bewildered whenever and wherever these stark choices are put before us.

Yesterday when I was thinking about pierced earrings and the Gorakh cult and doing my best to interpret the shabad, I was wearing two rings. Who knows if I will remember to wear them tomorrow? If I have a spiritual life, these matters should not affect my spiritual or mental state either way. Please someone explain how I am mistaken?

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Spnadmin ji,
I think these things are personal for everyone. For most the reasoning for wearing jewellery etc is a show of wealth or vanity and to attract others (esp the opposite sex like a pea{censored} does). That is why I mention it is important for each to examine their own reasons for why they do these things. There are many reasons for wearing jewellery that may not be contradictory to gurmat values but vanity is not a good reason imho! However, I am not judging, just encouraging introspection. With piercings, I agree its wrong for the historical reasons you mentioned but also it is a permanent change to your body and serves no purpose. Yet culturally Panjabi's tend to wear gold earrings all the time and the flashier the better! In Panjabi wedddings the jewellery for the bride can bankrupt the family quite easily!

The other thing I would like to add for this issue and most others is that saying its wrong and knowing its against SRM is one thing, but until someone believes from inside that they don't want to wear earrings or do any of the other things in SRM from the inside there will always be a longing for those things there.

I hope this all makes sense!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
findingmyway ji

You make sense completely.

But here is the core of perplexity for me. Nowhere in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the wearing of jewelry prohibited. Those who read a shabad that way have misinterpreted it. The rehat prohibits piercings...for reasons already covered. Hence the prohibition against jewelry comes only from human reasoning. The wearing of jewelry might be coming from a negative place. And that might be very true. The questions persists: Why is there a ban on jewelry and a lot of other things too, when there is no ban to speak of? Sometimes, conscience is working overtime and creating doubts where it may be counterproductive. That is my concern.

There are many points of entry for getting closer to Waheguru. This is only one of them.
ਆਈ ਪੰਥੀ ਸਗਲ ਜਮਾਤੀ ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ ॥
Aaee Panthhee Sagal Jamaathee Man Jeethai Jag Jeeth ||
See the brotherhood of all mankind as the highest order of Yogis; conquer your own mind, and conquer the world.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM