• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Donating Blood And Sikhism

Does Sikhism Allow to Donate Blood? Would you donate?

• Yes

Votes: 39 92.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Jul 13, 2004
UK
Is it allowed in Sikhism? What do you think? Would you do it even if some hairs were removed due to sticky tape on the skin? Is it against God's will to give blood? Please discuss.

Personally I am for, and even in Sikhism I think an amritdhari should be willing to give blood even if say one or two hairs maybe removed due to sticky tape on the skin.

One could argue however that it is wrong since people who do not have blood and need it from others are that way because of Gods will and giving blood is against God's will as you are altering what he had planned.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Re: Donating blood

wjkk
wjkf

It is allowed.

Admin Note: Dear kds1980 & All, please refrain from using such a clumsy language in future. Using such language does not make you look any wiser.

First condition of posting on SPN Forums says:

1) Treat all members with respect that you expect from them for yourself.

Please have a look at all the terms & conditions for posting on SPN at the top right side of this page. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 13, 2004
UK

Thanks for calling my question stupid. In future, please don't respond to any of my posts if you cannot be bothered to respond to my discussion topic in a friendly manner and cannot support your beliefs/claims with evidence or supporting arguments. Your response was unhelpful and unwanted.

May 26, 2005
San Francisco

CaramelChocolate said:
One could argue however that it is wrong since people who do not have blood and need it from others are that way because of Gods will and giving blood is against God's will as you are altering what he had planned.

Argument 1: You could make that argument about any technology, not just the medical technology that can transfuse blood from one person to another. For me, understanding God's Hukam doesn't just mean the holy Gurbani, it also means non-holy acts like understanding scientific discoveries and learning about & understanding other philosiphical/religious/spiritual systems people cherish. We're Sikhs-- students-- after all.

Argument 2: Sikhs are commanded to help the poor and suffering. If my blood reduces someone's suffering, they are more than welcome to it. After I die, they are welcome to any and all organs in my body-- it is, after all, nothing but a shell after death (well, more like a bag of meat & bones but I'm trying to be a bit less gross about it. :shutup:).

Argument 3: There is nothing in Bani that says we can violate God's Hukam, really. All the True Guru asks of us is to refrain from lust, anger, greed, maya & ego, to love her/him as deeply as we can, and to respect all aspects of the Guru-- meaning the earth, the Universe, other humans, animals.

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh
Dear CC

For Sikh,

Body belongs to God,

World Belongs to God.

All Blood and all Bodis are of God.

All Actions are of God.

We can not donate even an atom to anyone as we do not posses anything.

It is God who transfer blood form one Body into the body hwere it is needed.

In short blood 'donation' or any kind of Charity is anti Gurmat as nothing is of us so we can not give to anyone.

By good fortune by mercy of God say from the body of Vijaydeep Singh or anyother Sikhs blood is transfered to the needy then it is the deed of God we thank God for that.

We do not have donations or charity but we have service.

A persons who is made to serve by God without self interest gets the lord.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
In short blood 'donation' or any kind of Charity is anti Gurmat as nothing is of us so we can not give to anyone.

Preety hard for me to understand this logic, vijaydeep Singh ji, if i could help someone out by donating a bottle or two of blood and that saves the life of a patient then how can it be anti Gurmat?

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Respected Aman Singh Ji,

Das is only oppose to term Donation or Charity or Daan in Panth as we use term Service or Seva.

So if bottles or two are transfered from one body into another it is not that we are donating our blood but Akal is making this body to serve the body of other.

So Das can say it is service or seva by blood allowed in Gurmat but no donation as it makes us feel the giver which we are not Akal is.

So donation term increaes our ego but Service terms let us remain humble.

So in context donation word needs to be avoided but service term is to be used.

In fact we get donation from Akal,Sabad Guru or Panth Guru and no one can be doner but them menaioned above.

Jassy

SPNer
Aug 25, 2004
Dreamland
vijaydeep Singh said:
Gurfateh

Respected Aman Singh Ji,

Das is only oppose to term Donation or Charity or Daan in Panth as we use term Service or Seva.

So if bottles or two are transfered from one body into another it is not that we are donating our blood but Akal is making this body to serve the body of other.

So Das can say it is service or seva by blood allowed in Gurmat but no donation as it makes us feel the giver which we are not Akal is.

So donation term increaes our ego but Service terms let us remain humble.

So in context donation word needs to be avoided but service term is to be used.

In fact we get donation from Akal,Sabad Guru or Panth Guru and no one can be doner but them menaioned above.

At first I was going to second Aman Singh's reply, but then I read yours and it made complete sense. Though service is more of a business term and donor/donation is always affiliated with non-profitable organizations. But I understand what you're saying :) it makes sense.

As for the original question, I'm not an Amritdari but I would give blood w/o hesitation if someone's life was in question ... regardles of what my faith tells me.

Sep 11, 2005
Dear friend ,

It is a belief , If believed everything is Anti-Gurmat , If believed Nothing is AntiGurmat .......

OMG Just , Visualise and Imagine , If animals be asked to follow religion , what would happen ........

If Lion be asked to follow the particular religion ......... what would happen .......... Will he start eating grass ......... But if he starts eating grass ...... grass is also living being ........ :{;o:

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Respected Sikh Ji,

If parting of our hairs saves a human life,Das does not know where giving of hair can do this then it is OK.

If our hairs can act as a a sappling for others getting Hair groth then Das thinks it is OK to let Hair be delivered.

But we must get our Sikhi form(swaroop) resotrd as soon as possible.

Jassy

SPNer
Aug 25, 2004
Dreamland
agreed, if lets say you had your hair cut ... then the best thing to do is give it to Cancer society who will use it to make wigs out of that hair for those who are unable to grow hair due to health conditions etc.

Sep 4, 2005
Punjab, India
Any thing you have is not yours.

You can claim to be the owner of something when you can give away that thing to others....

Thus, only when you give something to someone... you actually are the owner of that particular object.

Thus, Givers are Owners

Someone said ..... Give till it hurts ! Give others till you feel the pinch ...

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

what das knows abot Gurmat is that owner of each and evry thing is Akal including our bodies and souls.

Well das was thinking in other terms when we say giving Hairs or Kes to save others.

like say if some one has to go for covert operations say from Indian Army to Pakistan or say freom UK Army in Iraq where we have to change our apperance.

Das know that many terrorits/freedom fighters also to dodge police did take form of without Hairs but resotred to Sikhi after success of mission.

Same could be said for many elemetns in Indian forces.Is it OK or not?

das votes for OK.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Dear Vijay Deep Singh Ji

The right word is sharing and not serivce. This is one among the three fundamentals of sikhism. Naam Japna, Kirat Karna and vand kai chakna. This vand is sharinge of experience, knowledge, our wealth, our blood or any other organ if we can afford and it helps other. This sharing is called bhakti provided it touches of subtlness of inner and lead to Naam Simran.
Best regard Sahni Mohinder

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Dear Vijay Deep Singh Ji

The right word is sharing and not serivce. This is one among the three fundamentals of sikhism. Naam Japna, Kirat Karna and vand kai chakna. This vand is sharing of experience, knowledge, our wealth, our blood or any other organ if we can afford and it helps other. This sharing is called bhakti provided it touches the subtlness of our innerself and lead us to Naam Simran.
Best regards
Sahni Mohinder

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM