• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Donating Blood And Sikhism

Does Sikhism Allow to Donate Blood? Would you donate?

• Yes

Votes: 39 92.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Well say if wife brings some mony after working and we can tell her to share that mony with needy.

Coming to haviing given once wife to have sexual pleasue to the needy.

Well das does not think that other person is going to dies if he is not given one's wife.

If that person say states that he will commit suicide if not givne the wife of another that means that person deminding wife needs phychiatric treatment more then wife.:u):

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Blood Donation to save someone's life is a commendable act. I wont get into tiny details of hair removal by tape etc during the process... because a bigger purpose is served by that blood and act.

I am not sure what S|kh veer is talking about hair donation! Kindly elaborate that ji.

And someone talked about sharing wife! I just consider that as a cheap joke.

Regards, Arvind.

Jul 27, 2005
Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

Hello to all SPN members, good to read the discussions by u all Spn members on the topic of "blood donation and Sikhism"

Regards
Gurpreet Singh

Dec 8, 2005
Toronto
Sikh are born to save the humanity in all possible ways so there is nothing anti-gurmat as far as it is concerned with the idea of saving somebody's life. So blood donation is the too little effort a sikh can do to save someone in dire need.
The idea of sharing wife, who so ever it was is really in bad taste & is definitely anti-gurmat & immoral.
Thanks,

Hukum Kaur

SPNer
Jul 6, 2005
Portland, Oregon
a seva of blood is like picking roses to dress ones altar: The act serves God and Guru. However, giving up ones hair (so that it may be made into a wig for a cancer patient) is like cutting off the roots of the rosebush. One draws the streingth for service and right action, from their hair, God speaks to us through our hair. Energy we manifest travels up the hair to the sun spot and crown chakra. Many years ago I lobbed off the hair that fell past the waist, to a long buzz cut, and I experienced phantom hair, where every night before bed I would reach for the pony tail ghost to let the locks fall. After donating blood, one may feel light headed, but not a strong feeling of loss. I waas weaker befor Sikhi, and the hair was so powerful, now I lhave earned its role.
PS I am against donating sperm or ovaries.

kharkoo4life

SPNer
May 30, 2005
BC, Canada
Beautiful analogy Liv Kaur!!

There is nothing anti-gurmat about "donating" blood or any other organ/tissue/cells of ones body. The important thing to remember in each situation is why are we "donating/sharing" that bodily part with another. IF the purpose is positive and benificial to the recipients well being then by all means a sikh is encouraged to engage in such altruistic acts as the guru themselves set the finest example of such altruism by "sharing/sacrificing" their lives for the betterment of others.

With regards to the reference to hair, i do not see how that can be compared to blood donation. The donation of hair to another person does not serve any direct medicinal benefit other than cosmetic changes. Unlike many other tissues, hair once cut, and severed from its follicular root, is dead tissue and therefore void of any physiological value. Only live hair, sprouting naturally from the follicular bulb has all the associated glands, muscles etc which give the hair follicle all its advantageous physiological value. As to a cancer patient who may be need of hair, there are amply available synthetic wigs which can provide the cosmetic help the person in question may be seeking. THere is no need to cut the natural hair of another person to fill this need.

Blood on the other hand is a very rare and valuable commodity which despite man's best efforts cannot be reproduced with the same accuracy and quality as it is naturally made in the body. For this reason (at least for the present time being until medical science makes further advances) it is imperative that all people as a community help fill this need for blood products through active voluntary donation.

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
CaramelChocolate said:
Is it allowed in Sikhism? What do you think? Would you do it even if some hairs were removed due to sticky tape on the skin? Is it against God's will to give blood? Please discuss.

Personally I am for, and even in Sikhism I think an amritdhari should be willing to give blood even if say one or two hairs maybe removed due to sticky tape on the skin.

One could argue however that it is wrong since people who do not have blood and need it from others are that way because of Gods will and giving blood is against God's will as you are altering what he had planned.
Isn't it funny? Guru Nanak was trying to get people out of useless practices and was trying to promote good old common sense and humanity.

And yet I am sure there will be self-proclaimed 'Sikhs' who will go out of their way to prove how 'special' hair really is with the zeal of an apologist desperate to justify views that are actually beyond any truly logical justification.

Take two steps back, one look forward, and tell me what you see.

Hukum Kaur said:
...God speaks to us through our hair.

I wouldn't have thought God was so limited that he "speaks to us through our hair".

Many years ago I lobbed off the hair that fell past the waist, to a long buzz cut, and I experienced phantom hair, where every night before bed I would reach for the pony tail ghost to let the locks fall.

When you're used to a certain physical form and then you proceed to change it, I think it is a natural psychological reaction to subconsciously feel as though the change never took place.

Last edited:

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Khalsa Ji

In my current understanding

I think god speaks to us through each and every creation he has created and it includes hair .
So saying god speaked through hair to somebody does not make God limited .

In day to day talk and disscusion we usually keep Logic as bechmark to prove anything right and I think it is due to fact one just cant believe the other person so there need to be some objective way , and that is logic

My question is now even though logic is dependable but is truth bound by logic or other words is God and his ways are bound by logic and he cant do anything beyond it ?

Jatinder SIngh

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
drkhalsa said:
Dear Khalsa Ji

In my current understanding

I think god speaks to us through each and every creation he has created and it includes hair .
So saying god speaked through hair to somebody does not make God limited .

So I guess I should stop clipping my fingernails then? :wink:

Heh...just kidding :}{}{}:

When the poster to whom I was responding said something to the effect of 'God speaks to us through our hair', the clear implication of that statement is that 'God only speaks to us through our hair'. If that was not the case, then why isolate the hair? If God does indeed 'speak' to us through "each and every creation he has created", then what is lost by not retaining hair?

Just to clarify, I'm neither for or against the keeping of hair. I'm just trying to see if anyone can actually offer up a legitimate argument (based on the logic of Ek Onkar upon which Gurbani - and the universe - is founded) as to why the cutting of hair is a big boo-boo.

Did I just say "boo-boo"? :shock:

In day to day talk and discussion we usually keep Logic as bechmark to prove anything right and I think it is due to fact one just cant believe the other person so there need to be some objective way , and that is logic

My question is now even though logic is dependable but is truth bound by logic or other words is God and his ways are bound by logic and he cant do anything beyond it ?

Jatinder SIngh
Well, with that mentality one could believe in castles in the sky. I don't believe in castles in the sky.

P.S. - It's interesting to think that certain people attempt to explain the importance of hair through something resembling 'logical' argument :)rolleyes:). But as soon as real logic starts to factor into it, it's like "no, no...we don't need logic to believe that part of it"... You can't have it both ways :}{}{}:

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Max 314

Forgive for my ignorance and any misunderstanding

I think the same way as you in matter of hairs so refrase it I'm neither for or against the keeping of hair if this just an objective question put to me

But for subjective case I fortunate to have found Sikh Faith with thw will of AKAL and keeping hair for me does not demand logic from my intellect and I keep hair because my Guru Asked me to do so.

Well, with that mentality one could believe in castles in the sky. I don't believe in castles in the sky.

unfortunately even with the same mentality I still dont believe in castles in Sky :)

But some of the the people I meet at work do believ in Castles in Sky :)

Anyway thanks your reply

Akal Sahai

Jatinder Singh

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
drkhalsa said:
Dear Max 314

Forgive for my ignorance and any misunderstanding

I think the same way as you in matter of hairs so refrase it I'm neither for or against the keeping of hair if this just an objective question put to me

But for subjective case I fortunate to have found Sikh Faith with thw will of AKAL and keeping hair for me does not demand logic from my intellect and I keep hair because my Guru Asked me to do so.
It gives me nothing but contentment to see that you have found a path that you feel truly gives you peace and purpose. That is a blessed life, and you have my best wishes :wink:

unfortunately even with the same mentality I still dont believe in castles in Sky :)

But some of the the people I meet at work do believ in Castles in Sky :)

Anyway thanks your reply

Akal Sahai

Jatinder Singh
When some of my friends smoke pot, I think they start believing in castles in the sky... :}{}{}:

amar7979

SPNer
Oct 26, 2007
Delhi (INDIA)
Have you had a kindness shown?
Pass it on;
'Twas not given for thee alone,
Pass it on;
Let it travel down the years,
Let it wipe another's tears,
'Til in Heaven the deed appears -
Pass it on.