• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Paganism Does Paganism Require A Belief In Divinity?

Jun 1, 2004
Taken from other resourse from internet...

Paganism does necessitate a belief in Divinity.

I find this strange - to myself, religious and spiritual systems almost always point to some expression of the Concept of God in some form of other, whether this be in the form of a personal God or gods, or aspects of the universe as a living, even conscious, principle.

Yet I've seen people refer to themselves as "Agnostic Pagans" and even seen reference to "Atheist Witches".

Somehow this doesn't seem to make sense in the traditional definition of Agnostic: "nothing is or can be known of the existence or nature of God".

However, is that too rigid a view, or is spiritual humility indeed a form of Agnosticism?

Heathen Dawn

SPNer
Jul 13, 2004
Holyland in Middle East
Paganism can subsist upon a feeling of inherent holiness in everything in the natural universe. There are those who call themselves atheist pagans whose paganism consists in reverence of nature and celebration of its cycles. They don’t believe the Gods are real—they view Them as archetypes, metaphors, symbols—and they use pagan rituals to attain oneness with nature. The secular pagans usually celebrate the Wiccan Wheel of the Year (two solstices, two equinoxes and the four dates between them), recounting the birth of the God and the marriage of Goddess and God as symbols.

Maize

SPNer
Jan 8, 2005
USA
I think the issue is over the definition of God. Most religious folk think of God as Divine and a deity that must be worshipped. Pagans, for the most part, see God in everything, pantheism, if you will. God is nothing special, because everything is God.

Eclectic

SPNer
Nov 11, 2004
Pagans just feel the need to live and express the Divinity that is inherent in everything and everyone. Basically it's really a law of love and peace.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Most Pagans I know have a belife in the divine. I mean why worship nature if you do not think it is divine?

Cheers,

lee.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM