• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Does Kaam Mean Lust Or Worldly Desires? Meaning Of Kaam As Per Gurmat

Logical Sikh

Writer
SPNer
Sep 22, 2018
Lust is defined as a passionate desire for something.

a passionate desire for something.
"a lust for power"
synonyms: greed, desire, craving, covetousness, eagerness, avidity, cupidity, longing, yearning, hunger, thirst, appetite, hankering
"a lust for power"

Greed is defined more as selfishness.

One can lust over things even strongly without being selfish. For example if I craved or lusted over alcohol or drugs, it doesn’t make me greedy. Maybe I share my alcohol and drugs openly... Greed is more hoarding for one’s self, more than one needs while not sharing or helping others. Similarly one can be greedy without necessarily listing over something.
Wow, Thanks
One more que.... Then Why lusting over something is a bad thing ?

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Lust in gurbani means sexual desire. Nanak says that the world is obsessed with it.

Which I have seen to be true.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Lust in gurbani means sexual desire. Nanak says that the world is obsessed with it.

Which I have seen to be true.

No, not "sexual desire". Lust. Blinding, burning, dominating drive to acquire (usually in Gurbani's use I think) sexual intimacy with the object of one's lust.

It's false to say it simply means "sexual desire" since you need that to have kids, and loving intimacy with your spouse. Perfectly good, natural and healthy.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Wow, Thanks
One more que.... Then Why lusting over something is a bad thing ?

It takes away your good sense, causes you to make unvirtuous choices, and most of all steals/blocks your connection to Naam.

Last edited:

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
No, not "sexual desire". Lust. Blinding, burning, dominating drive to acquire (usually in Gurbani's use I think) sexual intimacy with the object of one's lust.

It's false to say it simply means "sexual desire" since you need that to have kids, and loving intimacy with your spouse. Perfectly good, natural and healthy.

Yes lust, it's obsession and attachment

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

External and Internal are interwoven.

Kaam. To Act
Kaman . Force inspiring for Action.
Ras. Chemical or Hormones causing EMotion or chemistry release within body for body to perform action.

Naam Ras.Feeling after awareness of TRUTH of WORD, realisation of WORD.

If Kaman is woman, she has many roles as a mother/ sister/ wife/ etc girl friend/ which is Kaman?? Or it is self perception how our sense perceive.

It is self perception which triggers emotion, it is not woman responsible, one shall be aware. Trigger can be book, movie, talk or a drape of woman, etc.

For above it triggers harmone, which is far more powerful intoxicant than heroine or brown sugar etc. Without eternal awareness one blames woman.

And no way cause correction to self perception. She can be sister/daughter or mother. But at that moment self perception is to have a perceptive cover.

With eternal awareness one can realise.

Wrong Translation have grossly shadowed Guru's Bani concept.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru ji ki Fateh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM