• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Christianity Do You Celebrate Christmas?

Apr 4, 2007
Respected jasleen ji

your right "neither holiday has any significance for me" but the thread is about celebrating christmas. why we celebrate "Gurpurb"? coz that related day is "purb" of our "guru". If we have not special for christmas then why we celebrate?

My boss was happy and he gave me christmas gift as well. Also I attended my official christmas party. It does not mean I celebrated christmas. Similarly people living in Punjab (other than sikhs) enjoys government holidays related to sikhism, it does not mean they celebrate. Good examle is muslim festival id. We enjoy holiday but we do not "hallal" bakra. do we?

bhul chuk maaf

singh ji, my family is not sikh. they celebrate christmas (like most americans) as a time to spend with family. shall i abandon my family simply because i am a sikh? i don't think so. :) there is no religious tone to my family christmas gathering, ergo, there's absolutely nothing wrong in it.

May 13, 2007
singh ji, my family is not sikh. they celebrate christmas (like most americans) as a time to spend with family. shall i abandon my family simply because i am a sikh? i don't think so. :) there is no religious tone to my family christmas gathering, ergo, there's absolutely nothing wrong in it.

Jasleen ji, when I said to abandon your family? And who am I to give you this GREAT advice?

According to SGGS the meaning of family is bit different. The entire world could be part of our family.

For a sikh “tumhe chod koi avar na dhiaun jo bar chae tum te paun”

You are a sikh until you follow sikhi, when you follow the path other than sikhi simply you are not a sikh any more. For example if I start following muslim faith after marrying a muslim girl coz I can not abandon my family but religion, I am not a sikh anymore.

I may be wrong but that is what I learnt after reading SGGS. If you think am wrong, I am sorry.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I am loosing the thread of thought here in this thread. But my two cents.

Nobody should be abandoning their family -- unless their family is a criminal lot intent on making you and everyone around them miserable. That would be true no matter your religion. Nanak said "there is no Muslim there is no Hindu." That should give us a clue.

Imagine a world where every time a shift in religious belief or practice occurred people were abandoning one another. We have examples of how bad this can get in the Serbia, Croatia, the Middle East, and so forth.

Be a Sikh, because Sikhs don't go about creating intolerance. Sikhs overcome intolerance.

WoW! You all got me started. The more painful reality among Sikh converts is when their families abandon them. This didn't happen to me. Everything depends on how big a heart a person decides to have.

Apr 4, 2007

You are a sikh until you follow sikhi, when you follow the path other than sikhi simply you are not a sikh any more. For example if I start following muslim faith after marrying a muslim girl coz I can not abandon my family but religion, I am not a sikh anymore.

I may be wrong but that is what I learnt after reading SGGS. If you think am wrong, I am sorry.

giving gifts to and spending time with my family on a national holiday is not "abandoning" sikhi in any way that i am aware of.

but thanks for your input.

gurfateh!

I know jesus was not born on 25th dec and I already explained in my previous post. btw cud yu please define the word "christmas" ?

Cheers !!

Ave,

Christmas literally translates to "rebirth of the anointed one". Whether you celebrate the rebirth of the 'Sun' or 'Son' is perspective and based on faith.

it can be celebration of a cosmic event or something else.

Even Gurpurb is based on cosmic events and have little to do with the actual historical significance based on a solar calendar.

for example:
Gurpurbs of the ten Patshahis are all movable. Vaisakhi and Maghi are fixed festivals. An example of movable celebration is the Parkash Gurpurb of Guru Gobind Singh. It is celebrated on the 7th day of the bright half of the lunar month of Poh (Sudi 7)

so again relative. Some Gurudawara Comittees still squabble over the dates...as if it mattered ... lol

I celebrate everyday, if you know what I mean:up:
(well at least try to)

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
"Isn’t man an amazing animal? He kills wildlife by the millions in order to protect his domestic animals and their feed. Then he kills domestic animals by the billions and eats them. This in turn kills man by the millions, because eating all those animals leads to degenerative - and fatal - health conditions like heart disease, kidney disease, and cancer. So then man tortures and kills millions more animals to look for cures for these diseases. Elsewhere, millions of other human beings are being killed by hunger and malnutrition because food they could eat is being used to fatten domestic animals. Meanwhile, some people are dying of sad laughter at the absurdity of man, who kills so easily and so violently, and once a year sends out cards praying for “Peace on Earth.":mundafacepalm:
-C. David Coats from the forword to Old MacDonald's Factory Farm

choochoochan

SPNer
Nov 4, 2013
What's the issue here? Tho i converted to Islam, i still visit my relatives during Diwali and partake in Baisakhi festivals. It's just mingling with my family. I don't view them as religious events i observe.

The two Eids for me, however hold a different meaning. I still visit my mum during Eid, because it is Eid and it's special for me. Doesn't mean she celebrates Eid.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM