• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Do You Believe In Love?

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
not so fast, from a pragmatic point of view, I have within me the least amount of love since day dot, does that mean my waheguru content is diminished?
...no, never ! least or most are measures - the operative word is "love", which is beyond qualifications. Bit of Waheguru is enough to generate lot of Waheguru. I feel you're in denial to who you really are, and that love is your strongest of possessions. If the "least" of love, albeit writing, exerted by you generates so much want and popularity on SPN, what would happen if you were to exert a wee bit more ? Thank god you claim to have the least !

Scientists have been digging deep for love's neural basis, at best they've identified 3 subtypes: lust, attraction and attachment. Poets on the other hand, have called "love" God in essence; "is an ever-fixed mark, that looks on tempests and is never shaken"- Shakespeare.

It is your least love that makes you who you really are, for there are those who are devoid and are forever condemned to flames.

I don't know about anyone else, but I love you and always will do - you're beautiful !

Goodnight n Godbless

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
not so fast, from a pragmatic point of view, I have within me the least amount of love since day dot, does that mean my waheguru content is diminished?

From a Pragmatic point of view, please define love and prove it to us that is what in fact you are feeling :)

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
From a Pragmatic point of view, please define love and prove it to us that is what in fact you are feeling :)

from a pragmatic view, love is the ability to feel the aura of another, and to assist in pain, or share in happiness. To feel another's feelings as if they were your own, in some cases to feel another's feelings so acutely they dwarf your own.

This ability, which could also be called madness, is diminishing in me.

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
..no, never !
uhm I knew you were going to say that

least or most are measures - the operative word is "love", which is beyond qualifications.

love, soul, consciousness, what the hell do all these words actually mean, my definition of love, and I await Harkiran ji's, is quite simple, if you can feel someones pain, and you feel compelled to share it, or if you can feel someones joy, and it brings you joy, then that it my opinion is love. I can't even feel my own pain or joy never mind anyone else's. Of course there are different degrees of love, love is not a universal constant, I love you too, but not as much as I love chocolate,

Bit of Waheguru is enough to generate lot of Waheguru.

if nurtured, I agree
I feel you're in denial to who you really are,
I know who I really am, I am in denial about who I really want to be
and that love is your strongest of possessions.
and the cause of most of my pain

From a pragmatic view my definition of love remains the above, the ability to feel the aura others, there have been times in my life where I have been able to feel freely and fully, where making a difference, watering a seed, was important, at the moment, I can't really feel a thing, to be honest, I am edging towards the life of a hermit, how do I feel about this? Its a simple equation, no more people, no more pain, not that I am averse to pain, especially if something noble is achieved, but then another word, noble, all these words, are very individual and personal, one person's love, nobility, soul is completely different to another's.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
love, soul, consciousness, what the hell do all these words actually mean,
..consider them as means to an end. What end ? God. What God ? The you God. Sikhism spiritual is to that end, but first, says Nanak, self-realisation is a must, before God realisation. These so called words [shabds, meaning sound] are to connect you to the real you. What real me ? The "a-ha" moment, sound of the penny-dropping without there being a penny [see Chz for details].

my definition of love, and I await Harkiran ji's, is quite simple, if you can feel someones pain, and you feel compelled to share it, or if you can feel someones joy, and it brings you joy, then that it my opinion is love. I can't even feel my own pain or joy never mind anyone else's. Of course there are different degrees of love, love is not a universal constant, I love you too, but not as much as I love chocolate,

...I think we gonna have to be a little more clinical here; let's open it up a liitle. Thinking n feeling ! where the former is said to be an activity of the mind, the latter is that of the heart. By definition then, love is matter of the heart. And, since its feelings, it cannot be physically quantified, qualitatively defined, nor objectively tested. What does that tell you ? It is very very personal, meaning, only "you" the experiencer, the observer, the "mumbler" can truly know what love is, coz you can feel it.
if nurtured, I agree
..you see, this is the beautiful bit about you, your intellectual honesty ! nuturing requires an exertion of effort, some do some don't. The more the sugar the sweeter the tea, and so is Waheguru. The more the contemplation the greater the splendour.
I know who I really am, I am in denial about who I really want to be
We all like to kid ourselves now and then, but in truth, humans are utterly helpless against the Will of God.

But then again..that is your prerogative brother ! Like they say, you can take the mule to water, but you can't make it drink. And, likewise, Sikh spiritual is that pool, pool of nectar, which, those of us who drink and taste can express, you can't. That is not to say, you can't comment, of course you can, you've been doing it long enough; but that as I said above, the primary organ operative is the mind and not the heart. And, God my dear brother, resides in the heart.

Incidently, Baba Nanak, condemned self-alination, denial, hermitisation, etc. Instead, he recommended participation and total social responsiblity in all walks of life. He added value and said, "hey human, try keeping a balance between bit of everything, that is, physical [say a romp with a nun, in your case], mental, emotional [say love] and spiritual [meaning, the real you].
and the cause of most of my pain
..and a ticket to the spiritual world. Nanak says, 'dukh daru', meaning pain is medicine.
especially if something noble is achieved,
...the real you, mummy's boy! give up these so called mental exercises [manmukh] and get hold of your real self. The real as you know is, Waheguru, all else is the creation of the mind. And, just coz you're a coconut [environment and social] don't forget the genetic you, meaning, mum n dad. You're roots go back to mine....we're the first apes to have walked the planet. Let go of these idle talks between faiths etc for you are a true warrior [Sikh] and the battle is with the self and not with Hindus, Abrahamics and the spiritualists.
...H, I must go for my morning jog - speak soon !

TC

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
...I think we gonna have to be a little more clinical here; let's open it up a liitle. Thinking n feeling ! where the former is said to be an activity of the mind, the latter is that of the heart. By definition then, love is matter of the heart. And, since its feelings, it cannot be physically quantified, qualitatively defined, nor objectively tested. What does that tell you ? It is very very personal, meaning, only "you" the experiencer, the observer, the "mumbler" can truly know what love is, coz you cann feel it.

I disagree, I think love can maybe not be quantified, but we can certainly see what love is not, to some love is being looked after, to some love is doing the looking after, to some love is to be given things, to some it is to give, to some love is sex, to some love is being in control, to some it is to be out of control, although love may indeed be personal, I think true love can be clearly defined as something pure and without agenda.

.you see, this is the beautiful bit about you, your intellectual honesty !

only the truly stupid are truly honest, it does take grace or brains to be honest, just stupidity and lack of forsesight. I am honest because I have nothing to lose, they say familiarity breeds contempt, I would say honesty does the same.
We all like to kid ourselves now and then, but in truth, humans are utterly helpless against the Will of God.

it is quite comforting, to think that, but I know in my darkest hours, in my most depraved moments, god was sitting outside letting me get on with it.
But then again..that is your prerogative brother !
of course!
! Like they say, you can take the mule to water, but you can't make it drink. And, likewise, Sikh spiritual is that pool, pool of nectar, which, those of us who drink and taste can express, you can't

Drink this and join us? Hmmmmm as {censored}ed up and {censored}ed as I may be, the only thing I have left is that I am still my own man, I'd kind of like to keep it that way, I've never been good with clubs and associations, I think Groucho Marx said something interesting on the subject.
That is not to say, you can't comment, of course you can, you've been doing it long enough; but that as I said above, the primary organ operative is the mind and not the heart. And, God my dear brother, resides in the heart.
but I thought god was everywhere and in everything, in any case, I have no heart, no soul, I am just me, Harry.

Incidently, Baba Nanak, condemned self-alination, denial, hermitisation, etc. Instead, he recommended participation and total social responsiblity in all walks of life. He added value and said, "hey human, try keeping a balance between bit of everything, that is, physical [say a romp with a nun, in your case], mental, emotional [say love] and spiritual [meaning, the real you].

I can see why, its little fun, but unfortunately, I have wounds to lick, scars to heal, I need to play the game better, I am playing it with too much innocence, I am a child playing an adults game, I bow, however to your gaming ability, par excellence.

He added value and said, "hey human, try keeping a balance between bit of everything, that is, physical [say a romp with a nun, in your case], mental, emotional [say love] and spiritual [meaning, the real you].

In very real terms I am just working out the logistics for such, I gave myself until fathers day to move forward, that is tomorrow, today, I intend to destroy this personality, it has taken me as far as it can, tomorrow, we start flicking switches, there are banks and banks of switches all turned off, we slowly have to turn them on, call it a planned awakening, however, the points above are very relevant.

..and a ticket to the spiritual world. Nanak says, 'dukh daru', meaning pain is medicine.

its the only way we learn, pain
And, just coz you're a coconut [environment and social]

all these labels Originalji, no, I am no coconut, I am as misunderstood by the white community as I am the brown....

don't forget the genetic you, meaning, mum n dad.

My parents are the only people whom I consider having a true love bond with, I enjoy their company, talking to them, I consider during these times the need to be around them as much as possible, I am not married, I have no kids, so I go home and watch indian films with them, I get a lot of pleasure out of that.
You're roots go back to mine....we're the first apes to have walked the planet. Let go of these idle talks between faiths etc for you are a true warrior [Sikh] and the battle is with the self and not with Hindus, Abrahamics and the spiritualists.
Im a gemeni, I can battle with many things at the same time...

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
Original ji wrote:
"Poets on the other hand, have called 'love' God in essence."

Absolutely right. Reminds me of Heer's sajda to Takhat Hazara (Ranjha' s abode) rather than Qabba. Famous singer Surinder Kaur ji summed it very well in one of her songs.

More later, hitting the M1 in a few minutes to attend a wedding in the Midlands.
Rajinder S 'Arshi'

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Original ji wrote:
"Poets on the other hand, have called 'love' God in essence."

Absolutely right. Reminds me of Heer's sajda to Takhat Hazara (Ranjha' s abode) rather than Qabba. Famous singer Surinder Kaur ji summed it very well in one of her songs.

More later, hitting the M1 in a few minutes to attend a wedding in the Midlands.
Rajinder S 'Arshi'
..be safe when driving ! Enjoy the "Indian summers" in England - weddings galore !

Take care

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
from a pragmatic view, love is the ability to feel the aura of another, and to assist in pain, or share in happiness. To feel another's feelings as if they were your own, in some cases to feel another's feelings so acutely they dwarf your own.

This ability, which could also be called madness, is diminishing in me.

But how do I know that what you describe is in fact real if I don't experience the same thing? Wouldn't you say that love is subjective experience?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: