• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Do Sahijdhari Have To Keep Kes?

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
I have heard mixed things on this. Is there anyone who can clear it up for me?

Dear Khalsa Ji,

To the extent I know, either the person is Sikh or non-sikh. The term Sshijdhari, does not come from Panthic language. In a democratic society, people creatwe denomination of different types; Sahijdhari is noe of them.

What they do, it is for them to decide. There is no special directive for them as Sikh religion believes in brotherhood of mankind, it prescribes the same spirituality to all.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
I have spoken to a few sehajdharis (the ones who cut their hair) about their views on 5K's and to my surprise, they all respect the need to adhere to it, just that their family circles are 'modern looking' and they feel comfortable to remain where they are, but at the same time they feel that no one should be discouraged to work towards 5K's.

Comments please.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Its better for sehajdhari's to study sikhism themselves.If they find that keeping kesh is necessary then keep it if they don't then its their wish.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Kesh keep on growing...all by themselves....so all a "sehajdharee" got to do is....not CUT them. Cutting is a human act and done consciously - hence the sehaj is interrupted...meaning one step forward..FIVE steps Backward.
Sikhi/Gurmatt is FREEDOM of CHOICE/Voluntary LOVE..no force..no subjugation..no compulsion...if you LOve..stay on the path of SEHAJ...otherwise take as many steps back as you like...not to worry...all you can do is go backwards !!!

Gyani JS

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
I have spoken to a few sehajdharis (the ones who cut their hair) about their views on 5K's and to my surprise, they all respect the need to adhere to it, just that their family circles are 'modern looking' and they feel comfortable to remain where they are, but at the same time they feel that no one should be discouraged to work towards 5K's.

Comments please.

I think this is the general case. Most monay I know get happy and excited when a bundha who is a bundha decides to keep kesh.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
Amarpal ji put it beautifully

either you are sikh or not

couldn't agree more

and no one can give you a license /approval of being a sikh except your own conscience.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Amarpal ji put it beautifully

either you are sikh or not

couldn't agree more

and no one can give you a license /approval of being a sikh except your own conscience.

So if a person is following his personal guru.And he does beleive in Guru nanak or Guru granth sahib.Is he also a sikh?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Hafiz Sahib once wrote a poem in Arabic saying that if one wishes to realize God one should leave one's home and go to the wild places. Bhai Nandlal was a great gurubhakta (of Guru Gobind Singh) and when he read this, he said, "God? God is here!" and indicated his Guru who was nearby. He then added, "Where will you go? What is there in the jungles? He is standing here.", Who can say this sort of thing with any accuracy? Only he whose eye is developed- he who has seen, and then speaks of what he has seen. Those who boast
of their Guru without truly seeing what he is speak without real knowledge; their words are empty. For such people the Guru is the Guru when conditions are favorable, but when the conditions become difficult they turn their backs on him.

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,

I share with you what the word 'Sikh' means to me. To me this work means a teaching. When my being starts resonating with the teachings of my Gurus as enshrined in Siri Guru Granth Sahib, my life will then become a living teaching for others who want to learn. When this happens to me I will be rightly called a 'Sikh'. Till that time I remain a Sikh in a state of evolution. When my being beomes imbued with the teachings of Siri Guru Granth Sahib and my life start reflecting the same, I become a true Sikh (teachings) of Guru Sahib. Then only the title of Sikh will stand justified for me.

The Kesh, is a panthic requirement and Sikhs in the process of evolution should have them, it is part of our Sikh uniform, it conveys that we are preserving what nature has given us, we are living in harmony with nature. all spiritual people had Kesh.

I strongly suggests that all Sikhs should keep Kesh no matter at which stage of spiritual evolution they are.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<So if a person is following his personal guru.And he does beleive in Guru nanak or Guru granth sahib.Is he also a sikh?>>>

a person believing and being one with the teachings of SGGS and as described by Amarpal ji would not fit the condition provided by you.

thank you :)

Apr 4, 2007
I have heard mixed things on this. Is there anyone who can clear it up for me?

simple answer: yes.

sehejdhari literally means "slow adopter" or "slow learner". the word itself implies that one is on Guru sahib's path, a path which includes Amrit Sanchar. if one is on the path, one follows rehet as best as one can. if one breaks rehet purposely (cutting the kes), one cannot be considered to be following Guru sahib's path at all, so would not be a "slow learner", or even a sikh.

whether or not "sehejdhari" is a correct concept is another discussion altogether.

according to the definition of "sikh" from the rehet maryada, a sikh is one who follows the teachings of the 10 Gurus and the Guru Granth Sahib.
this includes keeping kes.

i hope this makes sense.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM