• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Did Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale Ji Ever Get The Respect He Deserved As Sikh Martyr

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Singh ji and Kaur ji

This topic was in my mind from quite a some time but recently it just surfaced up

We all know about our recent past history in which Akal Takhat declared Jarnail Singh ji Shaheed , I know there are some people on the forum or out there who think other wise and they have full liberty to do but for a Sikh now the thing could be different now Akal Takhat has declared jarnail singh ji Shaheed (i know there will be some of my brother sikhs who will say no Akal Takhat is not authority blah.. blah... but just a reminder this authority was made by guru sahibaans and any body who has some problem with its functioning then they should come forward and do something to rectify it, just saying it is wrong does not mean anything and not abolishes its authority)

Now the issue is: given the fact Sant Jarnail Singh ji being declared martyr, did he ever get the respect a Sikh martyr deserves (just like bhai dyala ji , baba banda singh bahadar...and many more), and if not then what could be the reason ?One reason i can think of is his shaheedi was kept under cover for long 20 years or so and perhaps it failed to create the impact it should have done...

Now my second question is: What did Baba Thakur singh ji meant to achieve or achieved by keeping Jarnail Singh ji's shaheedi a secret? Actually this question troubles me a lot so would like to hear from all of you.

Jatinder Singh

Last edited by a moderator:

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
Re: Did Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale ji ever get the respect he deserved as sikh ma

There was too much controversy around his actions for him to be respected by all as a great martyr.

And Bhai Thakur Singh Ji most likely withheld the "secret" because of the controversy, so as not to rift the Sikh community once again...wait till the tide is settled.

Either that, or they thought that if people thought Bhindranwale was still alive, they would actively pursue the Khalistan cause.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I concur with SIKH. The whole idea was to keep the Shahedee and the Khalistan movement on the BACK BURNER and allow it to "die" a natural death. This was in total connivance with the GOI...who wanted it this way.

While this was happening and the Movement and the Singhs were "waiting" for Sant Ji's "return"... the GOI began the PHASE II..kill the movement from the INSIDE. Support Badal, jagiro and Cohorts, install puppet Jathedars who would issue totally useless hukmnamas and further divide the Kaum and bring disrepute to the Institutions...and then bring in the RSS in total Force to further ERODE Sikhi and Gurmatt by making more and more Keshadharee Hindus as "Amrtidharee Sikhs"...and continue the onslaught agiasnt the Language, culture, econnomic power of Punjab, steal its waters and electricity, Block any development efforts, keep on more and more DRUGS and infant foeticide etc

And when the time is RIGHT announce that the Sant is actually dead..LONG AGO,...and cause even more RIFTS and factions as is happening now... The IRON is ICE COLD now and striking it will SHATTER it instead of making it into a SWORD.

This is POLITICS...not RELIGION...and "sikh leaders" fell for it just as they did in 1857..1947...and 1984...and beyond !!

ALL OPINIONS strictly MINE.

jarnail Singh

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

PS Badal,Late Tohra and most of the present day Jatts who have been doing lots of politics in sgpc are nothing but Kesdhari Hindus.

In Punjab if Sikhism has to survive let idealogy of S Gurbax Singh Ji Kala Afghana,Surjeet Singh Ji missionary of Delhi etc overthrow the fake Akalis.

But if we have to make Guramt strong in rest of teh India also then Idealogy of Dr Jodh Singh has to be encoruaged.

To make Panth flourish in overseas Baba Virsa Singh Ji and Late Yogi Bhajans reaching are neded.

coming back to Sant Ji there are mnay of out own so called Sikhs ,who have misused the name of Sant ji.

Those guys were unworthy to be Taksal set up by Guru.present head Baba Harnam Singh Ji Khalsa is moving so far in right direction as he also has sense of servitude towards the Panth unlike many inturders in Taksal who would better have been in babbers.

In fact hindus from poor and lower strata are recogansing Sant Jis contribution to humanity.

gurbilas

SPNer
Jun 25, 2005
UK
I lived in Amritsar quite near to the Golden Temple and as a young boy I was highly impressed by Sant ji's words be it preaching 'Rehat Maryada' or to become 'Tayar-bar-Tayar' with weapons. I guess it was not only exciting but also very close to the 'Sakhis' of valour I had heard from our elders and the Sikh youth were moved immensely by Sant ji's logic and militant approach.
In those days before entering the Golden Temple premises there used to be young Sikh boys holding guns requesting all pilgrims politely to take a few bricks upstairs to build bunkers. I did it myself on a few occasions and felt quite proud of it. There were several stories to hear all the time and the venom spurted out by Hindu leaders especially those from BJP alienated me further from the mainstream leading me to believe in separatism.
Then the Blue Star Operation happened. All said and done the Sikh pride was badly hurt and I personally felt ashamed of being helpless as all I could do was wear a 'Kesri' 'Siropa' and have arguements with the security men in the streets several times only just saved from being taken away. All this continued till finally 'terrorists' struck and killed my uncle who spent most of the time in village nearby looking after the agriculture land. I felt so different and it was only then I first realised that the pain of death is the same for everybody. I could identify more with the affected people and this was basically the reason for the end of terror in Punjab and not any Gill or Rebiero or Beant Singh. There was no leadership for the Sikhs. I was like many other capable of following but not good enough to be a leader probably and hence the youth were lost which is partially the reason for the present state of Punjab.
Sant Jarnail Singh Ji was an excellent leader and he could incite the feeling of religious fervour as none else after him could. He had a mass appeal I have seen this as a commoner sitting in the congregation. As for the path chosen by him, today I am not sure whether that was the best thing to do. The aftermath having been the Blue Star.
Certainly he will be a great figure in the history of the Sikhs but the question I ask today is how true were or are the ghosts of crusades against the Sikhs which were being fought? And even so how right it was to kill people the way they were killed and to gain what? The more we fight these shadows the more they spring at us.
In fact the reality is we are a scared lot. We know more than 50% of our population is 'Patit' as per the Rehatnama and the rest are also nonchalant. But how does it matter? If we only infuse the spirit of humanity in ourselves and incorporate truthful living as shown by Guru Granth Sahib Ji without having a face of Khalsa would that make us less of Sikhs? For sure being intolerant and insensitive to fellow human beings is much bigger a vice. And maybe this attitude will one day restore our pride and we stop talking big about our historical heroes and start following them in action.
And casteism, which the great Guru took out of us, will never leave us whatever we do. Because we have lost the essence of Sikhism. We will always be Jats, Khatris, Tarkhaans etc. It is so painful that on one hand we are taught about universal brotherhood and on the other hand we have limited ourselves to our sirnames! We have definitely failed our Gurus. We are yet to learn to respect each other as human beings.

Khalistani

SPNer
Dec 17, 2005
Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale- TRUE SAINT SOLDIER

Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Ji possessed the bravery and courage of a Sikh that belonged to the armies of Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji and Guru Gobind Singh Ji. People call him a terrorist and an extremist. they call him that compared to today's norm. We forget that we all are required by our faith to stand up and fight back against oppression. We bow in front of our Immortal Guru that was bestowed upon us by Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji. He fought against oppression and gave us the right to fight oppression...but only few have used that right to its full extent truthfully. One who has expressed that right was Sant Jarnail Singh Ji. Please research about him and read his speeches...please give you're opinion...Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Dec 8, 2005
Re: Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale- TRUE SAINT SOLDIER

Yes true .

The only question to be answered is if it is correct to target innocent people who play subtle games as challenges against you. Violence should not be used rather subtlity is the answer.You dont need force to address these challenges. you need smartness and critical number of children to win this battle.

Acually he never understood the deeper game of some forces to create a wedge between India and sikhs whose first proud sons we are.

Now to question as to how to keep sikhie intact and its value ( as a of harbinger of change : as discussed by me in thread " Modern Sikh Soldier new enemies ,battlefields and weapons" ) in its old form will require lot of ingenuity from us.

India is our mother and we son sikhs shall see to it that our mother is proud of us . India shall always live to glory which our forefathers wanted it to be and we shall be around to bask in that glory.

WGKWGF
BSNSSA

Dr HP Singh

:wah:

Jul 30, 2004
world

Gurfateh

Das would like to say that as per Gurmat we have whole earth is mother.But as manifestation of Akal.So Mother,Father,earth all is Akal.

Next coming to Sant ji Das can say that neither him nor Baba Harnam Singh Ji are anti Hindu(here das means Hindu and Indian as same).

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004

Dear Fellow Seekers

Just mention my experience

Bith the view point As given by Khalsitani brother and Plamba ji ( I have read that a long time ago) are just extreme type written with the intention fixed before writng ( I mean Biased) them so are reaaly of little help to know what kind of Personaliy Baba Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale was .

Jatinder Singh

Jul 30, 2004
world

Gurfateh

there were some myths psread by Aray Samajis about Sant Ji,
1. He was son of a Muslims who left in partiton as Sikh can not be Anti-hindu(Sant Ji any way were not Anti hindu either).
2. There are good lots of harlots been kept in Complex.(this shows the prevetrt minded ness of Arya Samajis)
3.Sant ji are going to declare himself as Guru ie Elventh Guru,this was idotic as Sant Ji fought only to counter Nirnakris,fake one off cource attempt o make a lving Guru.

List is endless.And Sikhs now siding with Arya Samajis seems not OK.

But one thing Das can say that there are many so called Sikhs who were all opposing Sant Ji till he was visible but later on they tried to misuse his name for sperading hoaxes and fairy tales.

So concers of Plamba brothers can not be attributed To Sant Ji but those who misused and are isusing Sant Ji's Name.

mbw

SPNer
Nov 5, 2004

I understood that a true sikh should not fear anyone nor cause fear in anyone.
Bhindranwale therefore does not fit that definition of a true sikh as he terrorised minority communities and individuals who did not agree with his narrow and restricted viewpoints on certain things.

Jul 30, 2004
world

Gurfateh

Das agree to MBW jI,

but in case of Sant Ji,As we has not shrwed politician he did not took care to sto disinformaton camgaign run against him by his bashers.

They were from Anti Hindu Arya Samaji akal hind Samachar gruo or Punjab Kesari(they showed thier true colours during Gujrat unrest by giving anti hindu views).who did false prooganda for him.

But more wrong doers wre those Sikhs who misused his name to bash non Sikhs and well as Sikhs from other idealogy and still are doing.Same peole even fought with Sant Ji men at very occaisions.

We could even say that very same people who lead to uprooting of his men from Complex later made him hero.Hyper wrong politics and bringing a spritual person into such pity politics.Both are wrong.

Das wants to tell that there were may Hindus from upper castes also who joined Sant Ji but after getting converted to Sikhism so were undistingushable from guys from Sikh Family.The Sants as such do not fid any diffreance between Hindu or Sikh or say Muslim and all are ready to join.
mbw said:
I understood that a true sikh should not fear anyone nor cause fear in anyone.
Bhindranwale therefore does not fit that definition of a true sikh as he terrorised minority communities and individuals who did not agree with his narrow and restricted viewpoints on certain things.

Khalistani

SPNer
Dec 17, 2005

i still dont understand why people think that Sant Ji was someone who would try to bestow fear into a person. I have read many books relating to Sant Jarnail Singh Ji. We are talking about a modest man whose actions were thought in the light of his religion. He loved his religion. no sorry, saying that he only loved his religion would not do him justice. There are no words to describe the amount of love care compassion and respect that he showed for his religion. we are talking about a man who cried when a gurbani gutka fell at his feet in the middle of the night and thought that he was to blame when it had fallen of a shelf. we are talking about a man who did a full akand paath as a way of forgiveness for a gutka falling to his feet. we are talking about a man who instead of killing my grandfather, who was a police officer (i dont remember the rank), when he was undercover, started joking around with him and talked to him. Who opposed ANY kind of sacrilege to our faith. He acted as a True 17th century Sikh soldier in the guru's army. Those kind of personalities are an endangered species in our modern world. we have lost site of what he was doing, which was very simple, he was defending our faith. we have made things too complicated by adding in the politics. many have become too cunning and think that there is more to his story. i dont understand. Why u cant accept the fact that he was a simple man who was fulfilling his religious duties?

Khalistani

SPNer
Dec 17, 2005

and to MBW, when did he terrorize minority communities and individuals who "did not agree with his narrow and restricted viewpoints on certain things"? show me some proof of those allegations

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004

i still dont understand why people think that Sant Ji was someone who would try to bestow fear into a person. I have read many books relating to Sant Jarnail Singh Ji. We are talking about a modest man whose actions were thought in the light of his religion. He loved his religion. no sorry, saying that he only loved his religion would not do him justice. There are no words to describe the amount of love care compassion and respect that he showed for his religion. we are talking about a man who cried when a gurbani gutka fell at his feet in the middle of the night and thought that he was to blame when it had fallen of a shelf. we are talking about a man who did a full akand paath as a way of forgiveness for a gutka falling to his feet. we are talking about a man who instead of killing my grandfather, who was a police officer (i dont remember the rank), when he was undercover, started joking around with him and talked to him. Who opposed ANY kind of sacrilege to our faith. He acted as a True 17th century Sikh soldier in the guru's army. Those kind of personalities are an endangered species in our modern world. we have lost site of what he was doing, which was very simple, he was defending our faith. we have made things too complicated by adding in the politics. many have become too cunning and think that there is more to his story. i dont understand. Why u cant accept the fact that he was a simple man who was fulfilling his religious duties?

Dear Khalsa Ji

I agree with you fully and I also feel the same about Sant ji

Why people think in this way is due to saome people at the time of santji and also a this time used sant ji name to do what they like and taking revenge from various other forces
so everybody thinks that Sant ji was responsible for such acts

And some people just write about Sant ji with such mind that they jsut pick and choose events from the history and will enlist every thing bad attached to santji name as if there was nothing postive in his personalities and this this is utter foolishnes.

Alos I have seen many such brothers of ours who just dont bother to follow even basics of Sikhi but will be frontline when it comes to commenting on personalities like Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale

And this is not a new thing let alone sant ji there have some people who even commented on actions of our Tenth Guru JI without understanding anthything Here I am talking about Mahatma Gandhi who was revered mahatma by millions .

Jatinder Singh
Jatinder Singh

mbw

SPNer
Nov 5, 2004

After reading the thread here and the links posted to Wikipedia, etc., I started to wonder if maybe I had been duped by my sources, my memory and by the media at the time, into an innaccurate and unfair 'picture' of Bhindranwalee. So I did some research.

My father, as a miltary man himself, was impressed with the ability Bhindranwalee had to lead men and inspire them for his cause.

But I now think it would be a self-denial to ignore that there WAS another side to the man.

We are all imperfect beings with both bad and good qualities. One who has only good qualities prevailing in him deserves the epithet 'Sant'.

After reacquainting myself again with the details, I myself don't see how Bhindranwalee deserves this title.

To present him as a 'hero' of sikhism imho castes a bad light on the teachings of the gurus.
Sorry if that offends people, but I ask you who disagree to consider without bias the following information.

No doubt he was a charismatic and inspiring leader. He DID have many noble qualities, sure.

That he loved his own interpretation of "his religion" and was tireless in its promulgation is not in any doubt.

But where were the saintly qualities of tolerance and comapassion and brotherly love for those who did not share his 'interpretation'? If you didn't agree you were put on a 'hitlist'.

Maybe its because many people are too young to know first-hand what was happening in the Punjab in the early eighties, or maybe its because many ex-patriate sikhs in UK Candada, etc., were too far from events to get a correct picture of events.

I was in Punjab in '83 and '84 and stayed in Jullundur, Amritsar and Kapurthala. The general perception at that time in those areas was very much of FEAR among minority groups such as, Nirankaris, Radha Swamis and Hindus. Even many in the Sikh farming community were in a state of fear.

The creation of this prevailing sense of 'fear' was understood at the time to be a deliberate policy intended to drive out all but those regarded as 'pure' sikhs from the Punjab in pursuit of a seperate sovereign sikh state.

Many people who publically criticised Bhindranwalee were murdered. This was a time when even the Punjabi police were in fear of Bhindranwalee and his gangs. Every day, you could read in the newspapers about five to thirteen people being murdered . And that is no exageration. Every day!

That is NOT to lay blame for all those killings at Bhindranwalee's feet. Just to remind people of the situation at that time in particular as regards what Bhindranwalee did regarding this climate of fear.
i.e. regarding:
"a true sikh should not fear anyone nor cause fear in anyone."

Sant Harchand Singh had become so scared of Bhindranwalee he did not meet him for six months in 1984 and enlisted the support of the Babbar Khalsa to protect him from attack.

When Bhindranwalee was at his most influential, not even the judiciary or police dared to cross him and were afraid of him. (Some may say with some justification that this was a good thing in certain cases). If they did cross him, he needed only to send word through a telephone message or by messenger and within 24 hours they would be punished or murdered.

How else was other than a fear of reprisals was he able to smuggle all that heavy armament into the Golden Temple complex, (Machine guns, mines, Sten guns, Anti-tank weaponery, grenades, etc.) And this at a time when the government was trying to secure his arrest?

It was then regarded as a well-known fact that many killings were directed by Bhindranwalee personally. Also I am not aware of him denying this. On the contrary he used the fear engandered by this belief to further his own ends and to gain control in the deteriorating situation with regard to the polictical stalemate between Akali Dal leadership, Congress, etc. This he did very succesfully.

To imagine he was just a religious man who was innocent of ordering/encouraging murder and also innocent of terrorising those he regarded as obstacles in his cause, for me is the exact oppsosite of the facts.

All the killer gangs of that time such as 'Dal Khalsa', 'Bhindranwalee Tigers', 'Dashmesh Regiment', Khalsitan Commandos', 'A.I.S.S.F.', 'National Council of Khalistan', etc. all declared allegiance to him.
Whole families of people who criticised these gangs were being wiped out, sikh or non-sikh.

We must ask what did he do to stop such actions? What quotes of his are there denouncing this behaviour? I am aware of none. Can anybody correct me in this?

As regards him supporting the idea of 'Khalistan' or not... Here are some quotes from Bhindranwalee that he made to the press at that time:

"The sikhs are a seperate nation. They must have a special status in the union like Jammu & Kashmir".
The Week, March 27 -April 2, 1984).

"I ask them - [the British Sikhs] - to join the fight for our independence as a seperate nation."
(Daily Mail, April 12, 1984)

"A sikh without arms is naked, a lamb led to the slaughter. Buy motor cycles, guns and repay the traitors in in the same coin."
(Int. Herald Tribune, April 24, 1984)

In a recorded speech to a select gathering in the Golden Temple complex he said:
"It comes to 35, not even 100. Divide fifty-five crores, then each sikh gets only 35 hindus, and not even 36th. How do you say you are weak?"

What is that if not a reference to how many hindus need to be killed by each sikh in a war for independence?

There is no doubt that the police ALSO were performing their own terrorist activities and unjust actions against suspected 'Khalistani' terrorists/supporters. That this included innocent sikhs is without doubt. For that reason I believe Bhindranwalee was regarded by many in the sikh communityas a protector and brave fighter for oppressed sikhs against such injustice.

In that regard, the 'hitlists' that Bhindranwalee circulated, have been described by supporters as only for those policemen who killed or tortured Bhindranwalee's men.

But also all sikhs who operated as 'sikh gurus' were on his lists, the sikh historian and critic of Bhindranwalee Dr. Gopal Singh was on his hitlists, etc., etc.

The lists go on and on.

So to say it was only a campaign of intimidation against corrupt police is only half the story:
S.Harbans Singh Manchandra (Pres. of Gurdwara Parbandhak Committe, Delhi) murdered March 28th, 1984;

Dr. V.N. Tiwari (Prof. of Punjab Uni) killed Chandigarh, 3rd April 1984;

85 yr old Giani Partap Singh, staunch critic of Bhindranwalee murdered in Amritsar, May 10th, 1984;

etc., etc.

The question occurs how much can accountability for these many, many murders be laid at Bhindranwalee's door? No doubt many were done without his direct order. Old scores were also settled by these gangs in ways that had nothing to do with Bhindranwalee.

But he must surely be held accountable by any fair-minded, unbiased person for his role in supporting and promoting the climate of fear and religious intolerance prevalent at that time.

Bhindranwalee first was wanted in the connection of the murder of Lala Jagat Narain and warrants were issued as as early as September 1980.

The murderer of the Nirankari guru on 24th Aril 1980 was by Ranjit Singh. Someone who had for a time worked in Bhindranwalee's household and had been a close confidant of Bhindranwalee.

Did Bhindranwalee ever deny involvemnt in these murders or condemn these acts?
No!

Regarding the murders of eminent Hindus like Jagat Narain, and of the Nirankari Baba Gurcharan Singh, Bhindranwalee said:
"whosoever has performed these great feats deserves to be honoured at the Akal Takht. If they come to me, I'll weigh them in gold".
This quote of his has been repeated many times but can be found in 'India Today', April 30th 1983).

I personally feel that it is a sad state of affairs when a person such as this is revered as a Sant and as a Martyr and ispresented as a lofty 'example' of Sikhi to sikh youth.

Apologies fo any offence caused.

Apologies also for possible misunderstandings on my part, or innacurate information in this post. Corrections of such will be gratefully welcomed by me if presented constructively and with references and reasoned argument.

Best wishes

MBW

Jul 30, 2004
world

Gurfateh

Das here wants to support you thsat Father of das too was in Amry and had great admirtion over the commitedness of men of Sant Ji.

Then as you are talking about Manjit Singh Ji.

Das would like to tell you that there was another group of Militants which was around harchand longowal and was all bent to kill Sant Ji and Hindus also.

many statemetns made after the name of Sant Ji were due to that group.

That gruop was near Langer hall and it took 5 hours to Indian army to dislodge this gruop which had Pakistani support.

while gruop of Sant Ji composed of many Ex Indian Army personal.

If you sse the historic prifile of Damdai Taksal and many men in his force you will find them free of biogatry.

If you want das can give detail of rival gruop of Sant Ji,who later on made him thier Hero while till he was alive they did all wrong they could do in his name and for him.This may means false interviews also.

Das does not want to hurt the sentiment of a particualr gruop of Sikh Brothers so he is not giving the name of that gruop.

mbw

SPNer
Nov 5, 2004

vijaydeep Singh said:
Gurfateh

"...many statements made after the name of Sant Ji were due to that group...."

The quotes I provided were from Jarnail Singh himself.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: