• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Desperately Wanted: Dhol Videos :)

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam

I fell in love with the dhol a long time ago. I'm all thumbs when it comes to playing music but I love music and the fact that Sikhi does so much with music is one of the rockin' parts of it for me.

Percussion, especially loud and thumping drums, is like listening to Mother Earth's Heartbeat. The dhol is like Mother's Heart with a microphone. :)

Does anyone know of some good dhol players' videos or cds, etc.?

I found some good ones. I'll pass those on here if anyone is interested. :)

I'm wondering who created to first dhol...where does it originate from?

Nam Jiwan :tablakudi:

Last edited by a moderator:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Sat Nam

I fell in love with the dhol a long time ago. I'm all thumbs when it comes to playing music but I love music and the fact that Sikhi does so much with music is one of the rockin' parts of it for me.

Percussion, especially loud and thumping drums, is like listening to Mother Earth's Heartbeat. The dhol is like Mother's Heart with a microphone. :)

Does anyone know of some good dhol players' videos or cds, etc.?

I found some good ones. I'll pass those on here if anyone is interested. :)

I'm wondering who created to first dhol...where does it originate from?

The double sided dhol you are referring to is probably the punjabi version.
This was not the original but it is distinctive.
The origins of the dhol go back to mughal times around late 1700's and different versions have come since all over the east.

You will find lot's of people claiming to be the best dhol players all over the world, but the best is actually myself!!!
Just joking...... haha..... I can play most instruments but am no expert in any.
Most people in the music industry will say that the best dhol player is probably 'Lal Singh Bhatti',- I would say he was the original composer of the many compositions and off beats.
Many have come adapting his approach and doing it better in different styles, but they do regard him as the 'ustad'

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Luckysinghji

Do you know of any good dhol cds?

I suspect I play my daf a hundred times worse than you ever could play your dhol! :tablakudi: lol :D Wanna have a "who plays drum worse?" contest? LOL :grinningkaur:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
I don't have any cd's I'm afraid, although I do have some cassettes somewhere !!
These tapes were from a long time ago back in the UK that I had obtained from recording studios. Most of them were done by different dhol players from various bands and they weren't officially released but were real good.
Although I have never had any official teaching or lessons, the tapes were good enough to help me learn dholki and dhol. As I say, i'm no expert, but have been good enough to play at some weddings and parties for friends.

I'm sure you can get some good videos from you tube, as now there are huge numbers that can play.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Sat Nam

namji{censored}aur ji you may find some that you may like in the following I posted a bit back,

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/general-videos/35383-just-some-dhol-drum-music-enjoy.html

Your comments and characterization of Dhol music pretty good too.

Regards. :mundabhangra: :singhbhangra:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM