• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Dementia

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Generally when people grow old, they start forgetting things. We have a habit of making fun of them at times.

But do we look at ourselves? We forget Waheguru all the time. We are suffering from such a disease. And we don't know the cure. Yes simran and sangat helps. Yet no matter how much we try, we cannot remember God beyond a few hours. We are lost in this sea of madness.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Indeed... but what about those who have dementia / alzheimers with regards to Sikhi? Technically, they are almost the most forlorn with no chance to remember Waheguru, especially not at the time of their death. :( Could there be any more horrible thing than to be separated from Waheguru like that?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Kanwaljit Singh ji

Thanks for starting a thread that takes us to gurbani over and over again. :happykudi: I miss such threads of late.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ ੩ ॥
Salok mėhlā 3.
Slok 3rd Guru.

ਸੇਖਾ ਅੰਦਰਹੁ ਜੋਰੁ ਛਡਿ ਤੂ ਭਉ ਕਰਿ ਝਲੁ ਗਵਾਇ ॥
Sekẖā anḏrahu jor cẖẖad ṯū bẖa▫o kar jẖal gavā▫e.
O Shaikh, abandon thy mind's violence, abide in Lord's fear and shed thy madness.

ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਭੈ ਕੇਤੇ ਨਿਸਤਰੇ ਭੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਪਾਇ ॥
Gur kai bẖai keṯe nisṯare bẖai vicẖ nirbẖa▫o pā▫e.
Through the Guru's fear, many have been saved. Abiding in fear, obtain thou the Fearless Lord.

ਮਨੁ ਕਠੋਰੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਭੇਦਿ ਤੂੰ ਸਾਂਤਿ ਵਸੈ ਮਨਿ ਆਇ ॥
Man kaṯẖor sabaḏ bẖeḏ ṯūʼn sāʼnṯ vasai man ā▫e.
Pierce thy stone heart with the Lord's Name, so that peace may come to abide in thy mind.

ਸਾਂਤੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਵਣੀ ਸਾ ਖਸਮੁ ਪਾਏ ਥਾਇ ॥
Sāʼnṯī vicẖ kār kamāvṇī sā kẖasam pā▫e thā▫e.
The virtuous deeds done with peaceful mind are approved by the spouse.

ਨਾਨਕ ਕਾਮਿ ਕ੍ਰੋਧਿ ਕਿਨੈ ਨ ਪਾਇਓ ਪੁਛਹੁ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਜਾਇ ॥੧॥
Nānak kām kroḏẖ kinai na pā▫i▫o pucẖẖahu gi▫ānī jā▫e. ||1||
Nanak, by lust and wrath, none has ever attained God. Go and ask any divine.

Translation is by Bahi Manmohan Singh

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Another similar story source: http://strangersingh.wordpress.com

It was Sunday, and as decided on Friday in the office that we all will be going on an outing on Sunday, so we all went outside, to visit the Fort, the Lake and the Museum very famous in our city. When we were buying the entry tickets for the Museum, I borrowed some money from one of my friends, Mr. X.

On Monday morning, when I was leaving for the office, I made sure that I have the amount of money which I had to return to Mr. X, and would be giving him when he comes to office. Unfortunately he didn’t came on Monday and then took off for the whole week, when he came back after a week, whenever I will meet him, sometimes I would forgot to return the money, and sometimes I would not have the exact amount I had to return. But for few days whenever Mr. X would come infront of me, I would get a feel that I have to return the money back to him which I had borrowed.

But till now I have not returned him the money, and sometimes I feel that what will he think when I would return the money to him, because Mr. X values HR i.e. human relations more than money, and I am sure that he will not take the money back and will say that whenever we will go out next time you give it in my place.

But sometimes I felt something itching inside because of this Udhari, so I narrated the whole story to Gurpreet to seek his guidance.

Gurpreet – I cannot help you here Mr. Singh, its such a small amount and it depends on the kind of relation you have with Mr. X.

I – Hmm…..

Gurpreet – Yes, but your story has made me realized something very true, something which I am always borrowing, and not giving anything back in return.

I – What is that, Gurpreet?

Gurpreet – Mr .Singh, my each breath which I am taking in and out, is being borrowed from Waheguru ji, but I am just passing away my life either sitting idle, or running after more and more money to satisfy my greed.

I – Hmm…

Gurpreet – Instead I should thank God, for each breath He has given me, for this life, for the things which make my life comfortable. I should try to do Sewa (social service) and Simran (meditation on one Lord) also along with earning my living.

I – I have nothing to speak now, I also fall in your category, with a much more debt than you.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Indeed... but what about those who have dementia / alzheimers with regards to Sikhi? Technically, they are almost the most forlorn with no chance to remember Waheguru, especially not at the time of their death. Could there be any more horrible thing than to be separated from Waheguru like that?

Ishna ji yes it is sad to lose your memory and recall facilities. But generally such people go about their daily tasks without problem. This means that if you have an inclination to do Paath you will do that. For you will forget your memories, not the form and sound of each Akhar of Gurbani. That is why when my parents say, this is not your age to be too much into Sikhi, I try reason that when I am older, it will be harder to inculcate good habits. Sooner we start the better.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM