• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

December 27 Shaheed Of Sahibzaade. Spreading The Word

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Basics Of Sikhi on Youtube and Facebook... on his channel he shared this. I don't know if someone already posted this or not? I can't find it so thought I would share:

Sangat Ji, Important news from Punjab...please share far and wide
Bhai Rajoana (letter of today) has asked that we all support the Akaal Takht sahib order that ALL SIKHS WORLDWIDE are to do a 15 minute meditation of 5 Mool Mantars and Vaheguru Simran on Thursday 27th December at 10:15am India time. Thats at 4:45am here in the UK (Amrit Vela). This is to remember the Shaheedi of the Younger Sahibzaade. Dont worry what length of mool mantar, just do it!
As the year ends, lets get back into the feeling of Unity, if 22 million people globally come together, under One Nishaan Sahib and One Vaheguru, magic can happen. Please pass on, set your reminders, lets help each other get up and do this.

Thanks to Akasha ji for persevering for several days, and finally locating the written text of the hukamnama for us. spnadmin
Thursday, 4:45am, 15 mins of Simran and remembering the Shaheedi of our younger brothers and role models.
Spread it - share it - Do it
VJKKVJKF

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Does anyone know if this is 'legit'?

I love the way the author says 'Dont worry what length of mool mantar, just do it!' It's a good reminder of leaving aside the little technicalities to remember something much larger, i.e. the sacrifice and bravery of those young lads.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Also, this would not be the time nor the occasion for Akaal Takht to get bogged down in an international debate over the rightness or wrongness of the short versus long version. But I am sure we will see at least one discussion on at least one Internet forum this coming week.

I like the idea: JUST DO IT!

Does anyone know if this is 'legit'?
That part I do wonder about. We are not in the habit of repeating any mantars as a matter of practice. Repetitions of the mool mantar for protracted periods of time falls outside of the Rehit Maryada.

ALL SIKHS WORLDWIDE are to do a 15 minute meditation of 5 Mool Mantars and Vaheguru Simran on Thursday 27th December at 10:15am India time.

This flirts with being a religious ritual. If there were to be a debate, that would be the one to have. One ardaas in remembrance of the shaheedyaan seems more appropriate.

Last edited:

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I can't comment as to the legit-ness of it myself. The guy who owns the Basics-Of-Sikhi Youtube Channel and FB page does a LOT for teaching of Sikhi in English though. I don't think he would post something arbitrarily. He's well known in the UK. I have watched many of his vids and he seems to be very knowledgable.

This is a link to the vid he did on this very topic recently at the Southampton Gurdwara in London area UK.
What made younger Sahibzade so brave? @ Southampton Gurdwara - YouTube

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Akasha ji

This gets more intriguing. Bhai Rojoana? Is this the Singh who is on death row in Patiala prison for the 1995 murder of Beant Singh? He has a stay of execution at this time because no one would come forward to be the hangman (or so the news relates). Bhai Rojoana of late has been writing letters on a number of matters, and releases them to a following in India and the west. I cannot find anything on the net about an Akal Takht order to recite the Waheguru simran on December 27. This year Akal Takht did declare Bhai Rojoana a Living Martyr and a National Martyr in a order of March 28, 2012. Just wondering if there is some deeper layer of information that some have and others do not that led to the posting of this request via Southampton Gurduwara. I will keep looking.

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Thanks for your research adminji.

Just out of curiosity (and in no way challenging the original idea), what might a special ardaas look like for this occasion, do you think? I've always been a little bit confused about ardaas.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Thanks for your research adminji.

Just out of curiosity (and in no way challenging the original idea), what might a special ardaas look like for this occasion, do you think? I've always been a little bit confused about ardaas.

That was just my personal inspiration. Nothing more than the regular ardas, with a special remembrance in the part that is left open for any special prayer. That is about it. Also I don't see how ALL SIKHS could comply with the timing of the order, or with a worldwide ardas either.

The sons of Guru Gobind Singh are already remembered in ardas. This would be a simple addition of remembrance of their sacrifice.

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Right, I get what you mean now. Kinda obvious actually hahahaha. I think it's a great idea.

It would be a really good stand-alone or addition to the simran suggestion. It would help give purpose to the activity. Right now I could do 15 minutes of simran for them, but I would not really be thinking about them, because it would just be simran without the special ardaas to put it into context.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I agree Inderjeetji!

It's an amazing collection of words to contemplate. Far more than a repetitive chant of sounds, getting lost in the meaning of each word is a truly mind-blowing experience.

Length of mul mantar aside, I get lost in Aad Such, Jugad Such, hai bhi Such, Nanak hosi bhi Such and end up feeling like a blip on the universal timeline stretching further backwards and forwards than I can even imagine. Really insills a sense of divine permeance.

:sippingcoffee:

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
True Story: When I was 21 (16 years ago) I bought a cd from a kiosk that sounded really nice for meditation etc. For 3 full years I would play this cd to help me relax and / or meditate... I even listened to it sometimes to help me fall asleep. I never knew what the words meant.... 3 years after I bought it, I finally found out I was listening to the Mool Mantra. (The cd was by Singh Kaur - I realize she is 3HO...I was never into 3HO though and came to Sikhi through regular Sikhism here locally) But I still listen to that Cd. I actually think it was what first had me reading the Guru Granth Sahib Ji... when I realized what the words were (in English) I felt an inner pull to learn more.

As for the original post. He posted again today... a reminder that this is only 3 days away and to pass the message along. Again, I doubt he would post this without there being some truth to it.

spnadmin: the way to find out would be to go to his Youtube channel, and send him a message asking him directly... He doesn't usually respond to many messages (he's busy I assume) but you being the admin here, he would probably get back to you fairly quickly.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
As opposed as I am to mindless ritual, I think anything done with full knowledge and awareness loses it's negative ritual connotations and can become useful.

I like the idea of a coordinated worldwide event. I will be making an effort to engage at the appointed time.

Akasha ji, did the fellow from Basics of Sikhi give any background to the younger sons of Guru Gobind Singh Ji when he suggested the event? This is a crucial element of removing the 'worthless ritual' aspect and turning it into something worth while.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
As opposed as I am to mindless ritual, I think anything done with full knowledge and awareness loses it's negative ritual connotations and can become useful.

I like the idea of a coordinated worldwide event. I will be making an effort to engage at the appointed time.

Akasha ji, did the fellow from Basics of Sikhi give any background to the younger sons of Guru Gobind Singh Ji when he suggested the event? This is a crucial element of removing the 'worthless ritual' aspect and turning it into something worth while.

He posted a video where he did an hour long talk about it at Southampton Gurdwara recently. I posted the vid on the first page of this thread. He is the one talking in the vid... (I have to admit I don't actually know his name... just know him as 'Basics of Sikhi')

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Probably the main thing here is not to get caught up in technicalities. Anyone who wants to do the 15 minute simran on December 27 has the information and can charge full speed ahead, no holds barred.

I may be responsible for the technical fixation, only because I wanted to know why I had not read anything about it coming from Akaal Takht... supposedly the simran was the AT's idea. Either way, one can make a decision that works for them.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
SikhSiyasat report is posted below as blue font or quoted material. Overview:

1. The plea came from Bhai Rojoana directly who is in Patiala Prison.
  2. Daily Pehredar (December 24, 2012) Page 03 reports that Bhai Rojoana is the source for the information of the Akaal Takht edict in his letter of December 22.
  3. So far there is no news first-hand that Akaal Takht issues this edict in SikhSiyasat or other news venues.

Rajoana appeals to the Sikh nation to recite Gurbani to pay homage to Chhote Sahibzade

http://www.sikhsiyasat.net/2012/12/...te-gurbani-to-pay-homage-to-chhote-sahibzade/

Patiala/Ludhiana, Punjab (December 24, 2012): According to Daily Pehredar, a local Punjabi daily, Bhai Balwant Singh Rajoana has recently issued an appeal to the Sikh nation to recite Gurbani in the memory of Chhote Sahibzade, the younger sons of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, who were martyred by Wazir Khan, Nawab of Sirhind in 1705.

The appeal has been issued by way of a letter from prison, as Bhai Rajoana is currently confined in Patiala Jail.

Daily Pehredar (December 24, 2012) Page 03
“First of all I pray before Almighty God; may the Khalsa Panth forever remain steadfast and in high spirit” begins the letter.

“Khalsa Ji in relation to the remembrance gatherings for the martyrdom of the younger sahibzade, ‘Sri Akal Takht Sahib’ issued an edict (aadesh) that on 27 December at 10:15 am, Every gursikh should recite the Mool Mantar and Guru Mantar 5 times”
the letter continues.

The letter dated December 22, 2012 is said to have been written by Balwant Singh Rajoana from Kothi No. 16, Central Jail, Patiala, Punjab.

It reads further as follows:

“Khalsa Ji, I humbly request the entire Khalsa Panth to unite and to comply with the edict issued from ‘Sri Akal Takht Sahib’. I humbly request that in complying with the edict issued from ‘Sri Akal Takht Sahib’ the entire Khalsa Panth should offer their respects to the younger sahibzade in such manner that it should become an event in history to be proud of. At this time, every gursikh, regardless of where they reside, should take time out of their normal routines and unite only in the rememberance of the younger sahibzade. All cars, buses, trucks, all means of transport operated by Sikhs of the 10th master Guru Gobind Singh Ji should be parked by road sides on 27 December at 10:15am. All Sikhs of the 10th master Guru Gobind Singh Ji in Homes, offices, schools, colleges, shops, farms, should dedicate those moments only to the younger sahibzade and try to feel from with-in / be part of the moment when the sahibzade attained martyrdom, and to be one with God and as a sign of respect to the sahibzade, recite the Mool Mantar and Guru Mantar 5 times”.

“In all parts of the world, where-ever Sikhs of the 10th master Guru Gobind Singh Ji reside, should feel as if the normal worldly routine has come to a stand still at 10:15. It should feel as if the entire Sikh nation has dedicated those moments only to the Sahibzade and is paying its respects to those great martyrs. Let us, the Khalsa Panth, unite and make it a routine to to offer our respects to the Sahibzade every year in such manner that the sacrifices of these great martyrs continue to be an inspiration for our generations to come”.

“These special respects paid by us in this manner will be a uniting factor for our sikh nation and will create a separate identity for us in the entire world. This will continue to unite our generations to come with Sikhi and will also be sincere respects to the great martyrs. To always see the Khalsa Panth successful and in high spirits is my desire”.

So it appears that there is a plea for worldwide simran on December 27, from Bhai Rojoander. :whatzpointkudi:
  1. However that an order came from Akaal Takht has yet to be corroborated.
  2. After looking at the Basics of Sikhi Channel, and the Basics of Sikhi on facebook, all that I find is that Bhai Rojoana issued a plea in which he mentions an AT edict.
  3. I did post a request on facebook to be pointed toward the edit
spnadmin

Last edited:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
I have a calender from my local gurdwara and on the 26 it mentions the sahibzade Jorawar and Fateh singh shaheedi and Mata Gujri, along with mention of 'jor mela fatehgarh sahib' then it states '80 roja mool mantar akhand jap' !

I'm not too sure exactly what this last part means, but it looks like something in line with what is being discussed above. This calender was printed last year so it does look like some connection with Fategarh sahib mela with mool mantar jap!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Thanks Akasha ji

Really appreciate this. It closes the loop so that we can disseminate factual information instead of guesswork. Now I for one can relax on this matter. :sippingcoffee: We now have the complete story with no gaps in the middle.

NOTHING LIKE TEAMWORK TO GET THE JOB DONE!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM