• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Dalai Lama: Negative Emotions

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Negative emotions arise as we don't control our mind: Dalai Lama
Pioneer News Service - Hamirpur

Tibetan Spiritual Guru, Dalai Lama has said that the negative emotions arise because we do not control or train our mind. "We cannot do that by offering prayers. Rather it can be done through reasoning. If we could train our mind and develop positive mental attitude such as compassion, then it would help oneself as well as the other beings. It will also help us in this life as well as in our next life. As we all believe in religion, we have to be compassionate all the time in good as well as in bad times. Thus, through reason we can train our mind."

"And for that, we need wisdom and knowledge to differentiate what is right and what is wrong and what are the things we have to adopt and what have to be dropped. That is why it is important to study the teachings of the Buddha", he said.

On the 15th or last day of the Losar (Tibetan New Year), thousands of devotees gathered at the Tsuglakhang (Main Temple) to listen to His Holiness the Dalai Lama's teachings from the Jataka tales this morning. The Tsuglakhang courtyard was packed with devotees comprising of both Tibetans and non-Tibetans. There are many Tibetans from Tibet among the crowd.

He spoke on the importance of training our mind and explained how negative emotions like anger, attachment and ignorance cause problems and unhappiness to all the sentient beings because we can't see and think when we are covered by these negative emotions and ultimately they lead to violence. These are our real enemies and it is within us.

The Tibetan spiritual guru emphasised the importance of studying even if we are dying the next day. He related that to the old people in jest and made every audience laugh.

Speaking on the various religions, the Dalai Lama said that all the religions in the world are for our benefit. They help us in solving problems though with different approach. All the religions convey same message of love, compassion, forgiveness, and tolerance.

Attachments

• dalai_lama.jpg
    dalai_lama.jpg
    11.9 KB · Reads: 230
Last edited by a moderator:

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Speaking on the various religions, the Dalai Lama said that all the religions in the world are for our benefit. They help us in solving problems though with different approach. All the religions convey same message of love, compassion, forgiveness, and tolerance

Not sure about that bit. Some of them don't seem like that.

Mar 7, 2007
For over 30 years I experienced several life threatening chronic illnesses. Through the Grace of God I was lead to several people and organizations that aided me in understanding, positively dealing with and transforming these illnesses. For the past few years I have devoted my life to sharing what I have learned with others. The two most impactful organizations I was lead to are The Institute of HeartMath - emotionalmastery-com and Landmark Education - landmarkeducation-com.

The American Institute of Stress and The Centers for Disease Control have both reported that up to 90% of all illnesses are due to stress. I was lead to The Institute of HeartMath in 1997 and discovered that all of my illnesses were due to stress and emotions I had been experiencing in my life. Through learning and practicing HeartMath’s tools and technologies, I am able to prevent, manage and reverse the effects of stress and unmanaged emotions, in-the-moment, achieve better health, more energy, improved mental and emotional clarity, and improved performance and relationships. HeartMath’s tools and technologies are scientifically substantiated; they literally saved my life.

Landmark Education provided me with the knowledge and tools to identify and put in my past, barriers that were stopping me from living a powerful life and a life I love. Through this Education, I have reached an unshakeable Faith.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinduP

SPNer
Sep 14, 2010
Not sure about that bit. Some of them don't seem like that.

First off, that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation.

Every religion has good at it's core if it's in service of making us better human beings and more in line with our purpose here.

If you use a religion in service of the ego, that includes Sikhi, then you can turn something beautiful into something ugly.

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
First off, that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation.

Every religion has good at it's core if it's in service of making us better human beings and more in line with our purpose here.

If you use a religion in service of the ego, that includes Sikhi, then you can turn something beautiful into something ugly.

Very well said, I concur!

I think the question to ask when considering the great religious texts of our time is this: has there been direct unchanged transmission of content from God to the written scriptures or have they been written by humans who have added their own spin on things?

Personally, I take the view that there is too much man-made surface rubbish suppressing the true wisdom underneath. It is the man-made elements that emphasise differences that lead to conflict and unrest

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM