• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Spiritual Daily Amrit Vela Blog - Difficulties, Joys, Methods Of This Practical Journey To Self Discovery

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
So chaz Jee since university assignment are over what are the technique you are applying for meditation.Please don't tell me the futility of three meditative technique dismissed by SGGS: The bhagat Dhanna who is said to have assiduously meditated on a stone idol to experience God (Guru Granth, p. 487); Jaidev who speaks of breathing techniques -- one nostril for inspiration, the other for expiration (p. 1106); and finally, Guru Arjan who drives the final nail into our desperate dependency on such techniques, "Path pario er bed bichario, naval bhuangam sadhay. ...Piyaray in bidh milan naa jayee mae keeye karam aneka." (p. 641).

I don;t meditate using any of the techniques you describe above :), in fact i don;t think i use any technique...

i put my Dyaan on Bani..Shabad...and think and contemplate with single mindedness (where possible) on my Waheguru...but is this a technique? or isn;t this what we do when we focus on any tasks in life?

hope that answers your questions japji ji

there is nothing you can say that will stop me from doing my amrit vela, or meditating....i'd be the biggest fool if i stopped what i'm doing and turn my back on Guru Ji...especially as now i can see the light...so to speak :)

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Siree Raag, Fifth Mehla:
That is the essence of the scriptures, and that is a good omen, by which one comes to chant the Name of the Lord.
The Guru has given me the Wealth of the Lotus Feet of the Lord, and I, without shelter, have now obtained Shelter.

The True Capital, and the True Way of Life, comes by chanting His Glories, twenty-four hours a day.
Granting His Grace, God meets us, and we no longer die, or come or go in reincarnation. ||1||
O my mind, vibrate and meditate forever on the Lord, with single-minded love.
He is contained deep within each and every heart. He is always with you, as your Helper and Support. ||1||Pause||
How can I measure the happiness of meditating on the Lord of the Universe?
Those who taste it are satisfied and fulfilled; their souls know this Sublime Essence.
In the Society of the Saints, God, the Beloved, the Forgiver, comes to dwell within the mind.

One who has served his God is the emperor of kings||2||
This is the time to speak and sing the Praise and the Glory of God, which brings the merit of millions of cleansing and purifying baths.
The tongue which chants these Praises is worthy; there is no charity equal to this.

complete shabad: SikhiToTheMAX - Enabling Gurmat Knowledge

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
there is nothing you can say that will stop me from doing my amrit vela, or meditating....i'd be the biggest fool if i stopped what i'm doing and turn my back on Guru Ji...especially as now i can see the light...so to speak
My purpose of enquiry was whether meditating means grasping the essence of godly virtues and living with or simple parroting waheguru early in the morning as a ritual sitting in trance.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
My purpose of enquiry was whether meditating means grasping the essence of godly virtues and living with or simple parroting waheguru early in the morning as a ritual sitting in trance.

In the nicest way possible ji, it appears the only one parroting is yourself ji.... :)

have you read any of my blog posts? were you not able to gather from the posts what it is that you are asking...or did you just read the title 'amrit vela', and decide that this is another parroting festival...lol

Please take time to read the posts...i know what parroting is...its talking the same thing over and over mindlessly, not even paying attention to what you're saying, or even contemplating what you're saying...or saying the same thing over and over and not even caring or listening to what others are saying...

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Japji ji, there is no tone....these are words that are typed, and not spoken...

you decide what tone you want to hear when you read it...that i cannot control.... :)
Hey Gurmukh, rise above the Manmukh, lead him not, to conform to your ideals, but to his own a transformation, where he can see thy majesty n splendour. Welcome the taunts, the insults, the smirks and the critical thinking, for it will empower thee to better understand them, whilst your own clear thinking will help you penetrate deeper in the practice of meditation. Once the thought waves are stilled your soul experiences a higher state of being. Anchor the wandering mind and enjoy the choreography of the mystical Chz.

As a Gurmukh, begin to see the positive in the negative, the best in the worst and the good in the bad. Let not demoralising banter derail you, remain unaffected on account, other people's behaviours are about them and not about you that can change and be improved.

If there is one thing that unites us all, it is that we are imperfect and stand to learn from one another. There would be no impactful change in us if we didn't have the moaners n groaners [jovial banter], our playmates nit picking all the time. Remember there is no heaven without hell and better an enemy at home than a shield in battle.

I must take leave, dinner time ! See you @amritvela.com

Goodnight n Godbless

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Original ji,

Guru Fateh.

You write:

Hey Gurmukh, rise above the Manmukh, lead him not, to conform to your ideals, but to his own a transformation, where he can see thy majesty n splendour.

It is Interesting to notice that you have become the judge and the jury.

How do you know who is Gurmukh and who is Manmukh?

How dare one calls another member Manmukh when he is not even part of the conversation?
Is this how some people like you learn about Sikhi?

Are we trying to play Ik Ong Kaar now because only The Source knows who is Gurmukh and who is Manmukh?

Why don't you let both Chaz and Japji interact and sort it out between their understanding? After all, it is all about personal experience, isn't it?

They are both Sikhs and they can handle things, learn from each other without your own smirks.:)

I will leave the rest "Welcome the taunts, the insults, the smirks and the critical thinking",to discuss later after you have responded the above which I hope you do despite your reluctance to facing the truth whenever questioned. You timidly run away when questioned directly about your thoughts that you have already expressed here.

One wonders why!?

Where is the Sikhi bravura that we proudly keep on claiming our ancestors instilled in us?

Last edited:

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
I don;t meditate using any of the techniques you describe above :), in fact i don;t think i use any technique...

i put my Dyaan on Bani..Shabad...and think and contemplate with single mindedness (where possible) on my Waheguru...but is this a technique? or isn;t this what we do when we focus on any tasks in life?

that is the way it should be and can be, any other system or follow someone else is not real worship

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012

that is the way it should be and can be, any other system or follow someone else is not real worship

dyaan requires mind, a focused mind is a powerful mind....a powerful mind can see and experience what lies beyond it through the stargate of the body...

pretty cool stuff...but as some of my posts earlier say, the mind that jumps from one thing to the other just cannot help us in any task in life..

sitting in strange positions just makes me think of the discomfort, so i sit on the sofa...lots of sounds from the surrounding physical world distracts me very easily, so i find the early hours the least distracting...the eyes (physical), not needed, so i close.....the ears relax as there are no sounds...no strong fragrances to distract my nose...no food to eat so the mouth no longer tastes...

for a short while i use my mouth to utter some shabad..and i let my ears listen...this helps my mind focus on something...but it struggles and jumps to sex, money, life problems, new job, house decoration etc etc etc....just goes on...

but i bring it back to shabad...and eventually i feel like the mind is starting to focus...the heart is feeling alone, like it wants to see a long lost loved one...

if i'm lucky, then a current is felt and one starts to be pulled deeper and deeper...
if my mind doesnt shoot back to worldly things, then from this point onwards...what domain am i in?
all is in His hands..

Its mind boggling...and True...

Pathfinder

Writer
SPNer
Sep 5, 2016
It is drizzling. It's normal during this time of the year, the monsoon has finally set in. I hear my doggy bark everyday at this dark hour. Being a ex-mariner I am used to awakening at odd hours. But I wonder how my doggy wakes me up at the same time each morning give or take a few minutes at the end of the 'graveyard shift' as we call it at sea.

About fifteen minutes later I have had a cup of coffee, my bath and freshened up. 15 minutes is so luxurious, esp as a sailor it feels so generous.

I end up with the bike key in my hands each day. I love my Jeep but it's the bike each morning I crave for.

0330 hrs Lt, I hit the road. It's drizzling most days of late. Or is it?. It feels like the waheguru Simran in my soul and lips is cleansing the inner self while the rain is cleansing my flesh. It's not too cold, in fact it's pleasant and the ride to the Gurudwara is tranquil and sedate.

0400 hrs Lt, basking under the Nishan Sahib is a privilege. I spend a few minutes here in the cold rain staring at the stars. 58 stars are used for navigation at sea and out of habit that haunts and curses a captain at sea forever i begin to identify the visible stars, read the sky and decode the weather for the day ahead. A weird habit no old sea dog can ever get rid of.

It's dark. It's perfect. It's reality personified. Just the Guru Ji is illuminated while the rest of the darbaar is in darkness. Just the silhouette of the Bhai ji (3 of them) and maybe 5 of the sangat present are visible. How apt !. I repeat this to myself each day.

The bhai ji at our gurudwara has a voice that sends shivers down ones spine. I recall tears in almost every sangat present when the shabad of chotte shahabazyade was sung a few days back. One could picture it happening, his voice is haunting. So much bairag, so much longing - sings from his soul.

The Simran starts soft and slow and builds up to a cresendo. At home Simran is uplifting too but here it is a revelation. It's apparent - the flow of energy all around and within.

I know now why visiting a gurudwara is turning nessesary to me. I am no scholar, i can't even decipher the teachings of the Guru. A mate of mine at sea once asked me what is achieved by going to the Gurudwara. I told her that it just felt like a 'port of refuge', a safe haven. That is how it feels here to me. The worldly storm rages outside and my ship gets damaged in more ways than one. So I seek this sanctuary and tend to the vessel, get her back in shape to face the turbulent oceans again.

What do I seek at amrit vela?. Nothing. I just feel the need to drift at sea. It's like a 'dead ship condition'. Quiet, dark, at the mercy of the waves.
What do I find at the amrit vela?.
So so much. Peace, contentment, strength, hope, clarity, solitude, solace, joy, gratitude and much more.

After Asa Di var and a single shabad the ardass is so uplifting. At times I have had to open my eyes to check if the ardass was being recited or if this was a conversation between the bhaiji and the Guru Ji. So captivating is the ambience and so surreal is the profound aura of the amrit vela.

Astronomical twilight, as we sailors call it is the most powerfully peaceful of all or else the 0400 hrs Lt or so give or take a quarter here or there. (Mate's watch)

Because to a beginner like me my engines are not powerful enough to overrun the storm of life. Because at this time the other things are favourable. A good night sleep behind the wake, a fresh bath and a rested body. A empty mind (less emptier than say at 1000 hrs Lt or so at least) and minimal external disturbances and distractions. So a weakling like me can ride the wind and get away with minimum engine power by milking the favourable conditions.

The ones who believe any time and everytime is amrit vela are powerful and blessed folks truly. Someday perhaps, but not now - not today. I am too selfish as I bask in the glorious and wondrous feeling at 0400 hrs Lt daily - my amrit vela.

I just do the Japji Sahib Ji presently but I hope to find the strength to do the full nitnem daily .

Whenever, whatever Waheguru commands....all I can say for now is Aye, Roger I await the command.

Wish all a good glourious Amritvela ..Over n out..

Last edited:

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
dyaan requires mind, a focused mind is a powerful mind....a powerful mind can see and experience what lies beyond it through the stargate of the body...

pretty cool stuff...but as some of my posts earlier say, the mind that jumps from one thing to the other just cannot help us in any task in life..

sitting in strange positions just makes me think of the discomfort, so i sit on the sofa...lots of sounds from the surrounding physical world distracts me very easily, so i find the early hours the least distracting...the eyes (physical), not needed, so i close.....the ears relax as there are no sounds...no strong fragrances to distract my nose...no food to eat so the mouth no longer tastes...

for a short while i use my mouth to utter some shabad..and i let my ears listen...this helps my mind focus on something...but it struggles and jumps to sex, money, life problems, new job, house decoration etc etc etc....just goes on...

but i bring it back to shabad...and eventually i feel like the mind is starting to focus...the heart is feeling alone, like it wants to see a long lost loved one...

if i'm lucky, then a current is felt and one starts to be pulled deeper and deeper...
if my mind doesnt shoot back to worldly things, then from this point onwards...what domain am i in?
all is in His hands..

Its mind boggling...and True...

Ahhh.... I feel so much sehaj after reading some of your posts. A Bhagat after my own heart :)

God bless you

Do you hear the ringing noise when u relax for meditation?

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Ahhh.... I feel so much sehaj after reading some of your posts. A Bhagat after my own heart :)

God bless you

Do you hear the ringing noise when u relax for meditation?

There's always a ringing noise in my ears lol

a couple of times in deep meditation, the sound of a ringing Bell...silent, then louder, then louder...and it grabs my attention like the passing of a train....whisks me (sould/Mind) along with it! crazy....but that was during my early days of Amrit Vela...

I don;t really listen out for sounds..i try to just 'be' in the moment and not seek or ask for anything...just kind of surrender....whatever happen will happen...i have no expectations anymore..

but the kind of stuff that sometimes happens is just mindblowing...it really is...i sit there afterwards on the sofa and thinkn "{censored}!!!!"

Send me a private message anytime!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM