• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Arts/Society Culture Clash: Ideas For Research Project On Identity And Culture

eringe

SPNer
Jun 5, 2009
Hi , I'm doing Art GCSE and the project at hand is about Self image, and after numerous ideas and limited time, I have chosen to approach the idea of culture. To be honest I dont know what the term is now , but I was born in England and am of Indian heritage, born in a Sikh family. Personally I don't agree with Sikhism or Punjabi culture in turn I am given the term 'coconut' (Brown on the outside white on the inside), I don't want to follow a religion and believe that I shouldnt embrace a Culture which hinders me from being who I want to be. So my project will be based on the 'conflict' of cultures and the things I should be embracing but dont really care for. I was wondering about other people views regarding this issue , especially teenagers as I would like to get everyone's view to help me with the project. Thanks.

May 28, 2009
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa..Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh....

Just surf around different forums...you will find what you want to............

Chardi Kala.........

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
More interesting ones

Issues in religious education - Google Book Search

Race and nation: ethnic systems in ... - Google Book Search

sikhchic.com | The Art and Culture of the Diaspora | THE NAMESAKE -Straddling The Great Divide

eringe ji

The google books are online interactive books. I find them to be excellent. You have to fiddle around a little and read through to find the sections you will need to use.

The article above by Meeta Kaur has a lot to offer. i read it a while ago.

In addition the sikhchic.com | The Art and Culture of the Diaspora web site has a search engine. The entire site is full of articles about Sikhs in the diaspora and the identity challenges they face every day. Good reading.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: