• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Covering The Head In Different Religious Traditions

Rory

SPNer
Jul 1, 2012
Ireland
What do you think it is about head coverings that make them so common as a sign of reverence towards religious activities/places/values? Nearly every religion has some form of head covering, whether it be full-time or for ceremonial purposes, modesty or respect in a place of worship etc., but what is it about the head (particularly the top of the head) that humans feel it is a sign of respect or sometimes religious servitude to cover it?
Since this plays such a big part in Sikhism (arguably the most visible element of the Sikh religion), perhaps it's useful to look towards other religions (or even other cultural traditions, such as the Nigerian gele) and their head coverings to better understand the importance of it in Sikhi.

images
head6-300x297.jpg
images
images
images
images

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I think it points to a common spiritual/cultural heritage for people of Africa/Middle East/Indian subcontinent - I'm sure there's a name for this area of people but I don't know it.

Do Chinese, Japanese, Native American, Australian Aboroginal, New Zealand Maori, Norse Heathens have a head covering tradition in their religions, for example?

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
Do Chinese, Japanese, Native American, Australian Aboroginal, New Zealand Maori, Norse Heathens have a head covering tradition in their religions, for example?

Don't know about they covering their head but surely use to have long hair & beard (men). Must be for a reason ... more of a scientific reason.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM