• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Converts To Sikhism?

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<Amarsanghera ji

I have told you before - twice - send your poetry to mags to be published. You are very talented.:star:

And you write poems in Punjabi and English. What are you waiting for?>>>

i can never do something if i intend to do it.

this just comes spontaneously, and if i start trying, i am not sure if i will be able to even write a word :)

however, thanks a lot for the encouragement, maybe i will look back on this board and pick up what i wrote....

why don't you too think about compiling a lot of posts you have been making?

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
this is interesting. i have met so many people who have converted from Judaism to Sikhism. we've had threads before discussing the similarities between the two...

has anyone ever tried Belief-o-Matic? it's a very interesting and educational quiz. it asks a huge variety of questions and then gives percentage matches for all of the major (and some minor) world religions.

i've taken it a couple times, just for fun. Sikhism is always #1 and Reform Judaism is always #2. :) i always found that interesting...

ok, sorry for the diversion, sometimes i can't help myself. :)

Lol i took the test...#1 Secular Humanism,
#16 Sikhism ... that was pretty fun ;)

1. Secular Humanism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (91%)
3. Liberal Quakers (80%)
4. Theravada Buddhism (80%)
5. Nontheist (77%)
6. Neo-Pagan (64%)
7. Taoism (60%)
8. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (57%)
9. Orthodox Quaker (48%)
10. New Age (48%)
11. Mahayana Buddhism (45%)
12. Reform Judaism (38%)
13. Jainism (34%)
14. Bahá'í Faith (30%)
15. Seventh Day Adventist (25%)
16. Sikhism (25%)
17. Scientology (24%)

Apr 4, 2007
Lol i took the test...#1 Secular Humanism,
#16 Sikhism ... that was pretty fun ;)

1. Secular Humanism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (91%)
3. Liberal Quakers (80%)
4. Theravada Buddhism (80%)
5. Nontheist (77%)
6. Neo-Pagan (64%)
7. Taoism (60%)
8. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (57%)
9. Orthodox Quaker (48%)
10. New Age (48%)
11. Mahayana Buddhism (45%)
12. Reform Judaism (38%)
13. Jainism (34%)
14. Bahá'í Faith (30%)
15. Seventh Day Adventist (25%)
16. Sikhism (25%)
17. Scientology (24%)

it does kind of make you think, doesn't it? :)

i took this test before i even knew what sikhism was and it always ranked high for me... i think it's pretty accurate. :) what about you?

Feb 14, 2006
1. Mahayana Buddhism (100%)
2. Neo-Pagan (100%)
3. Sikhism (99%)
4. New Age (94%)
5. Taoism (92%)
6. Unitarian Universalism (87%)
7. Liberal Quakers (84%)
8. Scientology (81%)
9. New Thought (81%)
10. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (78%)
11. Theravada Buddhism (78%)
12. Hinduism (77%)
13. Jainism (76%)
14. Bahá'í Faith (74%)
15. Orthodox Quaker (70%)
16. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (66%)
17. Reform Judaism (63%)
18. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (59%)
19. Secular Humanism (59%)
20. Orthodox Judaism (58%)
21. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (49%)
22. Eastern Orthodox (47%)
23. Islam (47%)
24. Roman Catholic (47%)
25. Nontheist (38%)
26. Seventh Day Adventist (35%)
27. Jehovah's Witness (22%)

Lol that was fun. I was afraid for a bit I was going to wind up Shia or something. :p

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Harjas ji,

You and I are almost exactly the same. I didn't save my report. But here were the top 3.

1. Neo-pagan (What is that?):rofl:
2. Sikhism
3. Mahayana Bhuddism

Roman Catholic was down in the 24 or 25 range, too. And this was my original religion.

I don't remember the percentages. What is neo-paganism. I did not understand it even after I read about it. Anyone?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Sikhism (97%)
3. Liberal Quakers (92%)
4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (86%)
5. Orthodox Quaker (84%)
6. Reform Judaism (80%)
7. Scientology (75%)
8. New Age (73%)
9. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (71%)
10. Neo-Pagan (69%)
11. New Thought (68%) 12. Bahá'í Faith (65%) 13. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (56%) 14. Hinduism (55%) 15. Orthodox Judaism (55%) 16. Seventh Day Adventist (51%) 17. Eastern Orthodox (51%) 18. Islam (51%) 19. Mahayana Buddhism (51%) 20. Roman Catholic (51%) 21. Theravada Buddhism (49%) 22. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (48%) 23. Secular Humanism (48%) 24. Taoism (39%) 25. Jainism (34%) 26. Jehovah's Witness (27%) 27. Nontheist (26%)

boxing.gif
tiny_ball.gif
cow2.gif

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-youth/18396-smileys-and-clipart-you-can-use.html

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Who likes rules anyway. Without rules there will always be a traffic jam and you don't even have to clock in and out. Rules are essential. Religion without rules cannot exist. Point to ponder.

Belief O Matic already has a disclaimer. So don't get so worked up. But you can check them (other other paths) out. No harm.

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
I think there is a difference between ethical and some rules and having the rest left for you to ponder and work out - the Sikh way, than hierarchies telling you what to do and to think, and no rules whatsoever.
I have friends who are Unitarian Universalists, and whilst very nice they go from neo-pagan to neo-Christian. They don't have any unifying idea.
I like that the Sikh religion is monotheist but not didactic, that the rehit maryada is sensible, meaning not life-denying. And the gurus, very inspiring - to everyone. It's not just a Panjabi thing....

Apr 4, 2007
I think there is a difference between ethical and some rules and having the rest left for you to ponder and work out - the Sikh way, than hierarchies telling you what to do and to think, and no rules whatsoever.
I have friends who are Unitarian Universalists, and whilst very nice they go from neo-pagan to neo-Christian. They don't have any unifying idea.
I like that the Sikh religion is monotheist but not didactic, that the rehit maryada is sensible, meaning not life-denying. And the gurus, very inspiring - to everyone. It's not just a Panjabi thing....

i agree with you 100%. :)

Apr 4, 2007
Are you trying to get rid of me? :shifty:

not at all! it's just that most of the time, you seem to be upset by or dismissive of the fundamental "code of conduct" in sikhi... i only meant that if one doesn't feel 100% about their chosen faith, there's nothing wrong in looking elswhere. i mean no offense by this, it's just what i have picked up from your posts. i'm sorry if i have misunderstood you.

but sikhi is always open to anyone, so no, i would never try to "get rid" of anyone. there's a reason Gurdwaras have four doors, and i agree with that philosophy completely. :)

Apr 4, 2007
Belief O Matic already has a disclaimer. So don't get so worked up. But you can check them (other other paths) out. No harm.

agreed. in fact, i think EVERYONE should learn about other faiths, it will either make their current faith stronger, or help them realize there may be another path.

i hate to think where i'd be right now if i hadn't started investigating as many religions as possible! :)

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
not at all! it's just that most of the time, you seem to be upset by or dismissive of the fundamental "code of conduct" in sikhi... i only meant that if one doesn't feel 100% about their chosen faith, there's nothing wrong in looking elswhere. i mean no offense by this, it's just what i have picked up from your posts. i'm sorry if i have misunderstood you.

but sikhi is always open to anyone, so no, i would never try to "get rid" of anyone. there's a reason Gurdwaras have four doors, and i agree with that philosophy completely. :)

I was just kidding. :u):

As per "code of conduct" -- I'm just reticent about it till I learn more. It might help to understand me to know that I work side by side with the poorest of the poor, literally one of the poorest communities in the western hemisphere... a place where people eat dirt to stave off the pain of hunger. I'm also a field anthropologist. It's hard to be accepted in communities like that if you don't get right down in the trenches with them, which is how I've always gotten accepted. So many times, doctrines and rulebooks are designed to exclude the very people I serve. Not only that, there have been generations of missionaries in and out of these people's lives that came to save them by showing them why they were cursed. These missionaries very rarely sit down and wash clothes with them, share a plate, or anything like that. You wouldn't believe what it does to foster a relationship with someone when you sit down on a rock and start scrubbing clothes with them. And when they're thirsty, pull the thermos out of your bag and ask them, "Wanna drink?"

Nobody has ever treated these people like equals, even though there is a missionary under every rock in these places and has been for longer than most of them can remember.

Anyhow... sorry to blither on and on. But there are reasons behind my reticence when it comes to anything that seems as though it might distinguish one person above another. Now, I realize you can't avoid it and still live in this world. But I'm touchy about it for a lot of reasons.

I am, however, learning about the background of these "rules" and understand more about why they became necessary, i.e. infiltration and degradation of Sikhi by hindutva etc.. It makes a little more sense now. But I think, like the kirpan girded Khalsa, I am always standing a little bit at attention when it comes to certain things.

I am not allergic to rules though. Although that's kind of funny. The reason I don't like Unitarian Universalists is the same as was mentioned above. They are absolutely TOO loose for me. I mean -- they're nothing really. It just seemed like something for non-religious people to do on Sunday morning. :)
But in their defense, they do a lot of peace and justice work and I salute them for that. But still... the service has NO mention of God at ALL. No prayers, nothing. Then a person gets up and gives a lecture about literature or something and they all go home. Naw.... not for me.

As for the getting rid of me thing. I was just giving you a hard time.

Expect more of that.

:shifty:

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
Neo Paganism is basically a religion that seeks to reclaim the ancient earth traditions of the Pagans... mostly European and Celtic paths. You know -- Stonehenge, Wicca, all that. They honor the Moon and Earth and the Goddess in various forms. There are a lot of various kinds of ceremonies, usually outside in a circle... bow to the 4 directions and sings and dance around with flowers in your hair in the moonlight. Sometimes they go SKYCLAD!!! They celebrate the Solstices and Equinoxes and are usually very devoted environmentalists since they consider the Earth sacred.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: