• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Connected Thread: Sikh Girls: A Confused Lot. Are Parents To Blame?

rdhanoa

SPNer
Nov 7, 2005
Thread Recreated From: Sikh Girls - a Confused Lot - Are Parents to Blame?

Proud Singh said:

It is the duties of our parents to teach us about our religion and culture but that alone cant show youths the right way. One must be willing to learn and abide by the teachings.I know of parents who have spent so much time on there kids teaching them Sikhism but there kids still do all the things they shouldnt. We should have more programs within our community to teach youths the history of sikhism. The sacrifices our people made so that we can practice our religion. Thats whats lacking in the youths today they do not know there history, if they did everyone would proudly follow Gurbani and would never question sikhism.

Last edited by a moderator:

rdhanoa

SPNer
Nov 7, 2005
I find the idea of never questioning Sikhism to be deeply disturbing. Imagine if Guru Nanak never questioned hinduism or islam! Religion evolves with time. To not recognize and acknowledge, or even to resist that notion reminds me of the Taliban. I think kids are naturally curious, and to not foster questions regarding Sikhism is to undermine the faith. Why do we read Gurbani if not to find the answers to the questions in our lives. How can we find answers if we can't ask questions?

Jan 31, 2008
There is no confusion about sikhism in the girls.Our parents are also confused.They also dont have the time to learn about sikhism.Sikhism is a way of life.Do the best for the humanity.Contribution of your services & sources to the deprived class.Simple and meaningful life.Pray to God everyday for all that He has given you.

Jul 28, 2006
I agree with you that it has to be a joint effort between parents and kids. But i also feel that Gurudwaras should take initiative of guiding, explaining, detailing and mentoring.

Recently i saw a catholic friend of mine looking for answers to similar questions in their holy scripture. We also should have some websites where we can post our doubts and questions and some qualified and knwoledgeable people in the field should answer and guide us.

here most of us are youngsters and donot know the Religion to that extent to be able to give a definite answer to any questions. We would need involvement of people who have knowledge of sikhism and who know the WHY's of right and Wrong.

The youngsters today want to also know the Why's. When my auntie asked my cousin not to color her hair.. She asked 'Why not?' Auntie didnt have an answer so she said 'it will spoilt ur hair, sikhs dont color'.. Am sure there were reasons why our gurus prescribed certain things.. We have to understand the WHY's for each of them...

Then we can convince our generation as WHY we are a modern faith with Rationale.

Here the truth is that even though we are a modern faith, we ourselves are not sure of the real reasons for things. Real reason for keeping hair and many other things..

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I find the idea of never questioning Sikhism to be deeply disturbing. Imagine if Guru Nanak never questioned hinduism or islam! Religion evolves with time. To not recognize and acknowledge, or even to resist that notion reminds me of the Taliban. I think kids are naturally curious, and to not foster questions regarding Sikhism is to undermine the faith. Why do we read Gurbani if not to find the answers to the questions in our lives. How can we find answers if we can't ask questions?

well said. :happy:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM