• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Cold Shower

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I have heard people say it is in the Rehatnamas. I always found it a bit dubious. But I have seen that a hot steam shower actually makes me feel drowsy. And a cold shower would shake me up and awaken me like anything. Best start for a day.

Other thing you can do is have a lukewarm shower and have a blast of cold water for the last minute, before you step out shivering. :D

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
You should try it !!!
It is more than just awakening, infact this sudden blast of cold water stimulates many neurons and nerve endings, which is supposed to be very good for your health and general well being.
Even if you are experiencing some dull sensation in some muscles due to inactivity, then this blast of cold water also helps to stimulate and awaken, thereby removing the dull ache.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
There is a lot of scientific evidence that suggests exposure to cold water is very beneficial for us. How cold is the issue!

In parts of Europe they actually have saunas and then cool pools they dunk themselves into. You see some groups who swim in the ice water! We've got groups of old people in my country who go to the beach at the crack of dawn rain, hail or shine for a quick dip in the cold water.

I think lukewarm with the blast at the end is best. But then, I'm slack and usually you can't see me through the steam.

Here's some reading at Discovery: http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/12/18/depression-cold-shower.html

Interestingly, I've never seen any proper reference that the bath/shower has to be cold! It just seems to be a given. Perhaps because I imagine rivers in Punjab aren't warm, and that's where our Guru Sahibs bathed.

What do people prefer - cold shower or cold bath?

I read a story of an Australian woman in the 1940s (I think) who, when she was a child, met a travelling salesman who was a Sikh and she used to talk to him. The issue of bathing came up in conversation and because she would have a bath by filling the tub and getting in, he thought she was dirty for washing herself in the dirty water. She asked him how we bathed and apparently he did it with a bucket of water and a cup - splashing himself with water, soaping, rinsing off - never re-using the dirty water. I will try to find the article I read.

Would that count as proper ishnaan today?

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Its interesting that the Discovery article shows that it is like a mini-ect effect. I have chronic mental illness which includes depression. A family member had ect several times for her depression. I will have to mention this to her.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what it does for all the aches and pains I have since that was also mentioned as an added benefit.

Thankfully, its summer so I can deal with getting used to this. Brrrrrr! LOL

icecreamkudi

One thing I've noticed in the past few years was how water feels like it cleanses not just the dirt off the skin, but maybe the build-up of soured and jaded energy. It does somehow renovate the spirit as well as the body.

As always, Ishna ji. TY peacesignkaur

QUOTE=Ishna;169348]There is a lot of scientific evidence that suggests exposure to cold water is very beneficial for us. How cold is the issue!

In parts of Europe they actually have saunas and then cool pools they dunk themselves into. You see some groups who swim in the ice water! We've got groups of old people in my country who go to the beach at the crack of dawn rain, hail or shine for a quick dip in the cold water.

I think lukewarm with the blast at the end is best. But then, I'm slack and usually you can't see me through the steam.

Here's some reading at Discovery: http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/12/18/depression-cold-shower.html

Interestingly, I've never seen any proper reference that the bath/shower has to be cold! It just seems to be a given. Perhaps because I imagine rivers in Punjab aren't warm, and that's where our Guru Sahibs bathed.

What do people prefer - cold shower or cold bath?

I read a story of an Australian woman in the 1940s (I think) who, when she was a child, met a travelling salesman who was a Sikh and she used to talk to him. The issue of bathing came up in conversation and because she would have a bath by filling the tub and getting in, he thought she was dirty for washing herself in the dirty water. She asked him how we bathed and apparently he did it with a bucket of water and a cup - splashing himself with water, soaping, rinsing off - never re-using the dirty water. I will try to find the article I read.

Would that count as proper ishnaan today?[/QUOTE]

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
I always think heat helps aching muscles, but I know doctors often say now that it is often better to do the ice instead.

I will no doubt do the quick blast of cold at the end. I actually already do that once in a while. Just another way I seemed to be Sikh without even knowing it! :grinningsingh:

Its really been like that though. So much has just fallen into place spiritually lately. Its like someone up there or in my heart has set me on this perfect path. Such beautiful blessings!

:)

J

You should try it !!!
It is more than just awakening, infact this sudden blast of cold water stimulates many neurons and nerve endings, which is supposed to be very good for your health and general well being.
Even if you are experiencing some dull sensation in some muscles due to inactivity, then this blast of cold water also helps to stimulate and awaken, thereby removing the dull ache.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Its really been like that though. So much has just fallen into place spiritually lately. Its like someone up there or in my heart has set me on this perfect path. Such beautiful blessings!

:)

J

I know isn't it just so blissful when you realize it was Waheguru who put you on this path all along?? I ignored my hints for a long time for no other reason than being scared of how the local Sikh community would accept me... I totally regret not contacting them a long time ago!!

I think lukewarm is ok.... it's actually better for your hair than hot water, which opens the cuticle of the hair and lets moisture out. COld or lukewarm water on your hair keeps the cuticle sealed and as a result you have much softer and shinier hair. (I have naturally curly hair and already have to tame it a bit by straightening to style it... so I learned long ago... use cold or lukewarm or I end up with frizz.

Since hair is so important to Sikhs... I would reason that the cold water issue 'may' have something to do with the hair and care for it (at least a small part)

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
ALL INDIANS bath in the early morning and since it was Natural water - wells, rivers, streams etc its naturally COLD. period. Nothing to do with sikh "hair issues" or Hindu janeu issues or Muslim issues whatever...its just a Bath in the Morning with wtaer that is available and cheap/free.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Rivers in Punjab start from icy cold Himalayas to balmy temperatures during summer. Ground water temperature is probably steady in the teens degrees Celsius. So cold water is a relative term say compared to Canadian winter or mountainous winters in the North.

Here the rivers of Punjab and how all the waters flow and drain,

Punjab_map_topographic.png

So shivering cold water is not as common for bathing in Punjab as one may think. Even though the softie city dwellers use Geysers and such to get warmer water for baths it was relatively uncommon in villages. Tubewells, wells and rivers/canals used to be fresh during summer and a reprieve from heat.

Just some tid-bits.

Sat Sri Akal.

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
I was actually wondering if the description of "cold" would be different where I live compared to the Punjab. And even then the water gets warm here in the summer also so I wonder if cold might be less about temperature and more about jumping into it to experience the "wake up call" and sense of being cleansed within and without by it.

peacesignkaur

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Water of any temperature can't cleanse you 'within' - only Naam can do that. :)

Correct, no temperature or sacred shrine can clean you within, no matter how hard you try.
That's why the amrit vela, get up and cleanse also means to do simran in order to cleanse the mind- within.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM