• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

FAQs Citing Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji?

Charan

SPNer
Mar 15, 2010
Hi everyone!

How do I cite Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji in an essay? I have been looking for the date of the completion, but it is confusing because some say 1705, some say 1707, some 1708... Does anyone have a trustworthy source on this? Also, as for the author(s), do I write all the Gurus' names? Or can I simply just write Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, pg xxx.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Citing SGGS ji?

Charan ji

Here is my suggestion. The date of the compilation of the Granth is not what you want to cite anyway. The date you should use is the date of the publication of the granth or the date of its published translation. If you use the Internet translations, then use the correct model for an Internet reference in the body of the text, and in the Reference list or bibliography.

The Adi Granth was installed in 1604 by Guru Arjan Dev, and you if you must can use this date. But the date for installation of the granth as perpetual Sikh Guru by Guru Gobind Singh is 1708. 1708 is the date used to celebrate the anniversary of the Granth as Guru - its gurgaddi, so 1708 might be your better choice. But to tell the truth, I have never in all my reading observed that a publication date was given for the SGGS, only the publication dates for translations.

I am a college professor therefore this is how I would instruct my students.

Charan

SPNer
Mar 15, 2010
Re: Citing Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji ji?

Charan ji

Here is my suggestion. The date of the compilation of the Granth is not what you want to cite anyway. The date you should use is the date of the publication of the granth or the date of its published translation. If you use the Internet translations, then use the correct model for an Internet reference in the body of the text, and in the Reference list or bibliography.

The Adi Granth was installed in 1604 by Guru Arjan Dev, and you if you must can use this date. But the date for installation of the granth as perpetual Sikh Guru by Guru Gobind Singh is 1708. 1708 is the date used to celebrate the anniversary of the Granth as Guru - its gurgaddi, so 1708 might be your better choice. But to tell the truth, I have never in all my reading observed that a publication date was given for the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, only the publication dates for translations.

I am a college professor therefore this is how I would instruct my students.

Aha, I see... Thank you so much, ma'am/sir! :cool: I guess I'll just cite the websites in stead of SGGS.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Citing Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji ji?

Aha, I see... Thank you so much, ma'am/sir! :cool: I guess I'll just cite the websites in stead of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Charan ji

Do make certain that your professor does not have a personal set of rules for citing things. If he/she is following the Turabian manual or a similar rulebook for citations find out how they do it. The date however that I would use is 1708, if he/she wants a date for the granth. Otherwise the date should go with the translation, or use a web site style citation.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM