• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Cigarettes Without Tobbaco And Beer Without Alchohal

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Das saw something like cigrattes without tobbaco, Beers without Alchohal ie fruit beer. Say Pan Maasla was there without tobbaco.

In such case what should be policy of Sikh?

Should such stuff with which we may have addiction needs to be avoided? Or should the title 'not good for health' or 'injurious to health' be guiding us?

Comments of the Sangat are appriciated.

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
Re: Cigrate without Tobbaco and Beer without Alchohal

:}{}{}:

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
Re: Cigrattes without Tobbaco and Beer without Alchohal

ssa veerji

i think Guru ji taught us that our Body is a gift from almighty...this life is precious.

so we must avoid all harmful toxic and addictive things which spoil our health and makes our mind weak.

this would include : alcohol in excess, tobacco and other know addictions
meat ( my personal opinion)

BaljeetSingh

SPNer
Jun 24, 2005
USA

I could not resist smiling when I read "Alcohol (if not in excess)". See, how easily we change the Guru's shabad to suit our selves.

Going back to the original post about cigerettes without tobacco or beer without alcohol....I do not know...but it is still very hard to visualize a 5K sikh with flowing beard and a dastaar and kirpan smoking a cigerette (even if it does not have tobbacco).

There is a saying in Hindi..."bad se badnaam bura". Those who understand hindi will get the hint...

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

vijaydeep Singh said:
Gurfateh

Das saw something like cigrattes without tobbaco, Beers without Alchohal ie fruit beer. Say Pan Maasla was there without tobbaco.

In such case what should be policy of Sikh?

Should such stuff with which we may have addiction needs to be avoided? Or should the title 'not good for health' or 'injurious to health' be guiding us?

Comments of the Sangat are appriciated.

i don't think there is anything wrong in drinking non alcholic drinks like fruit beer.as far as smoking is concerned smoking has no purpose so why to smoke

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006

baljeet veerji,

Can you quote references for me that how i have twisted the teachings in Guru Granth Sahib to suit myself?

thanks

bopadum

SPNer
Jun 8, 2006
I live in everything

I know some old grandfathers in Punjab used to do Hooka/Hasheesh, now I am no expert but from what I understand is that it is not addictive and bad for your health-its just fruit flavoured, hence why they used to do it. But on the other hand it was frowned upon by the village.

Again as someone mentioned earlier - people twist rules to fit themselves. As if hasheesh is just fruit flavoured and not a bad addictive (as there are good addictions), why do it?

I have smoked in the past and I just didn't feel right doing it, something in built within us. So quit pretty quickly. Plus when your young you do silly things!

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006

hi Bopadum veerji

Hashish is one of the most addictive drugs.

regards,

BaljeetSingh

SPNer
Jun 24, 2005
USA

Dear AmarSangehra ji - Please refer Page 554, Slok M: 3, strating with the words "Maanus Bhariaa aaniaa....". Read this shabad completely. This shabad syas clearly that by drinking wine, persons intelligence departs and madness enters mind and man can not distinguish between his own and others..

Now, I can not find anywhere in the SGGS that drinking little bit is ok :) Can you please refer me to anywhere in SGGS which says drinking if not in excess is ok.

Thanks

????why would u smoke without tobacco????
The entire point of smoking is to feel a high, tobacco is a stimulant.

entire point of beer/wine is the fact that it gets you drunk
the non-alcoholic can just be called grape juice or something else.

I really dont get the point of this thread.

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006

Dear baljeet veerji

thanks for the quote.

i had been searching for this reference.

thanks

Jul 30, 2004
world

Gurfateh

Dear Sinister Ji,

In India we have beers with 0% Alchohal and we have cigraates also without Tobacco and even Beeris(a sort of indian cigrate)without Tobaco.As it was told to das that such cigrate let us feel cold in throat.

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006

Dear Vijaydeep,

Smoking a cigarette to feel cold in throat????

i think need to smoke is more to get an inclusivity feeling...same for alcohol..

now i think that being a gur's sikhs we should avoid all such addictions...as this Maya

Jul 30, 2004
world

Gurfateh

When das was Hindu das smoked tobbaco cigrattes but did heard of tobacco cigrates which are giving feeling in throats like Halls or vick,a sort of losanges.

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006

its menthol cigarettes

but still

its menthol cigarettes

but still they do have tobacco

Last edited:

Rajwinder

Writer
SPNer
May 2, 2006

I will say if these things wouldnt harm our body then it is ok to have them. But in india attitude is like this if bucn of frnds are standing with a sikh gentleman and they need to smoke then they will not offer the cigrate to sikh, if in a bus some body having a cigrate and a sikh gentleman is sitting near by then surely he will ask him if that sikh gentleman will have probelm iwth that , Point is view in india is like 'sikhs wouldnt smoke " and that another reason why a sikh got a better respect. NOw if we start smoking cigrates withou tobacco then it is true that it wouldnt hurt your body but i a 100 % sure it will hurt that ATTITUDE of people towards sikh which adds so much respect in other people hearts towards sikhs. ( As others may not be knowing that ur smoking a Tobacoo less cigrate :) )

About the Beer Generally what i saw is most of the accasions when it comes to drinking ( Specailly in Jatt sikhs ) the term "Sikh" got converted into "Sardar". And people attitude becomes " Sardar and drinking should go together.

All i feel is tha doing these kind of acts will only increase wrong attitude towards sikhism so we should better avoid these.

So vijaydeep,

you smoke so that you can get a "cool" feeling in your throat?????..........hahahahahaha......There truly are some unique characters on this forum. Just use a breathmint or halls or swallow some toothpaste..... you dont have to light up menthol and smoke it like chronic.

Non-alcoholic beers???? those probably taste horrible. Ive never heard of someone saying that they enjoy the taste of beer until theyve actually had a couple.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM