• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Child Sacrificed, Liver Offered To Gods: Indian Police

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
A seven-year-old Indian girl was murdered in a tribal sacrifice and her liver offered to the gods to improve crop growth, police in the central state of Chhattisgarh said on Sunday.

The body of Lalita Tati was found in October one week after her family reported her missing.

"A seven-year-old girl was sacrificed by two persons superstitiously believing that the act would give a better harvest," Narayan Das, the police chief of Bijapur district, told AFP by telephone.

The two men was arrested on Wednesday on suspicion of killing the girl and offering her liver to the gods in a grisly tribal ceremony. Police said the men had confessed to the crime.

The girl was murdered in a jungle district of Chhattisgarh that is a stronghold of rebel Maoists who have tapped into disaffection among local tribal groups.

Human sacrifices occasionally make headlines in deeply religious and superstitious India, and usually occur in poor areas where some people revere practitioners of black magic.

Two suspected child sacrifices were reported in Chhattisgarh in 2010, while in the same year the decapitated body of a factory worker was found in a temple in the eastern state of West Bengal.

The victims are often ritually killed by witchdoctors to appease gods, spirits or deities.

(http://news.yahoo.com/child-sacrificed-liver-offered-gods-indian-police-074513654.html)

ac_marshall

SPNer
Nov 5, 2009
Bangalore, India
A seven-year-old Indian girl was murdered in a tribal sacrifice and her liver offered to the gods to improve crop growth, police in the central state of Chhattisgarh said on Sunday.

The body of Lalita Tati was found in October one week after her family reported her missing.

"A seven-year-old girl was sacrificed by two persons superstitiously believing that the act would give a better harvest," Narayan Das, the police chief of Bijapur district, told AFP by telephone.

The two men was arrested on Wednesday on suspicion of killing the girl and offering her liver to the gods in a grisly tribal ceremony. Police said the men had confessed to the crime.

The girl was murdered in a jungle district of Chhattisgarh that is a stronghold of rebel Maoists who have tapped into disaffection among local tribal groups.

Human sacrifices occasionally make headlines in deeply religious and superstitious India, and usually occur in poor areas where some people revere practitioners of black magic.

Two suspected child sacrifices were reported in Chhattisgarh in 2010, while in the same year the decapitated body of a factory worker was found in a temple in the eastern state of West Bengal.

The victims are often ritually killed by witchdoctors to appease gods, spirits or deities.

(http://news.yahoo.com/child-sacrificed-liver-offered-gods-indian-police-074513654.html)

I wonder when would these superstitions end. In the past few weeks I have come across similar superstitions reported from various regions. Some of them are:

i) Pilgrims roll on food left overs served on Banana leaves for some blessings.

ii) Get a man married to a female donkey for rains.

iii) Sacrifice He-Buffaloes in front of a deity. In order to keep the deity's anger at bay, the sacrifice should happen with a single blow. If not, the family offering the sacrifice would be cursed. The poor animal's throat is made sore with lime water to ensure that it's cries are not heard which is otherwise believed to invite the deity's anger.

iv) Shave the head of a girl who just reached puberty and make her go around the village without clothing and just covered with leaves for continuity in rains and blessings.

Will these senseless evils ever end?

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
I wonder when would these superstitions end. In the past few weeks I have come across similar superstitions reported from various regions. Some of them are:

i) Pilgrims roll on food left overs served on Banana leaves for some blessings.

ii) Get a man married to a female donkey for rains.

iii) Sacrifice He-Buffaloes in front of a deity. In order to keep the deity's anger at bay, the sacrifice should happen with a single blow. If not, the family offering the sacrifice would be cursed. The poor animal's throat is made sore with lime water to ensure that it's cries are not heard which is otherwise believed to invite the deity's anger.

iv) Shave the head of a girl who just reached puberty and make her go around the village without clothing and just covered with leaves for continuity in rains and blessings.

Will these senseless evils ever end?
ac_marshall ji this is almost a flip side of the business or normal corruption we are so used to and can see or relate to.

This is heinous corruption of the mind. The elements that enable it are some of the following,

• Religious dogmas
    • Preaching of sacrifices as a way to achieve
  • Business behind practices
    • There is a whole set of religious hierarchies which depend on dumb people
    • Ill founded beliefs supported by religion even though this is heinous extreme case
    • Marketing tools that condition people into this mode in India
      • The GEMS, the tveets, the mantars, etc., that you can Tele-Shop for
      • People selling these will be beheaded in Saudi Arabia
  • Lack of education and promotion of such due to religious and political reasons
    • Uneducated are the easiest to control, manage and exploit for all kind of purposes
  • Lack of recognition of sanctity of life or even common decency to question and think or speak up
  • Extent of the problem
    • This kind of news is just a tip of the iceberg
    • Society is riddled with unreported and other practices may be not as heinous
    • Example: One of my friends came from Gujrat/Rajasthan area. He told me about a village where people offer their young girls to the local religious (Thug) as that is the only word I have for it. The practice is for him to have sex and cause the girls to lose virginity in the name of purification.
Just like corruption what are the chances of improvement. Just about zero as people have to question the fundamental tenets of some of the religions and practices. No politicians are going to be interested and neither any religious figures who indirectly benefit from dumb, uneducated and easily lead flocks.

I also greatly detest reporter crafting headlines in these matters. I much rather have blunt headlines. Example,
Helpless Girl Child Murdered: Cut Out Liver Used in Prayers

So sad and we are in 2012 and not some pre-historic times!​

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Example: One of my friends came from Gujrat/Rajasthan area. He told me about a village where people offer their young girls to the local religious (Thug) as that is the only word I have for it. The practice is for him to have sex and cause the girls to lose virginity in the name of purification.

I've heard this same mentality of purification is also in Africa. Did you know a man can be cured of AIDS if he has sex with a virgin? They sew the girls up again so they can "lose their virginity" repeatedly with these diseased men, getting more $$$ per girl.

I have a solution but it involves lead.

Ambarsaria ji you nailed it when you said it's about education.

ac_marshall

SPNer
Nov 5, 2009
Bangalore, India
ac_marshall ji this is almost a flip side of the business or normal corruption we are so used to and can see or relate to.

This is heinous corruption of the mind. The elements that enable it are some of the following,

• Religious dogmas
    • Preaching of sacrifices as a way to achieve
  • Business behind practices
    • There is a whole set of religious hierarchies which depend on dumb people
    • Ill founded beliefs supported by religion even though this is heinous extreme case
    • Marketing tools that condition people into this mode in India
      • The GEMS, the tveets, the mantars, etc., that you can Tele-Shop for
      • People selling these will be beheaded in Saudi Arabia
  • Lack of education and promotion of such due to religious and political reasons
    • Uneducated are the easiest to control, manage and exploit for all kind of purposes
  • Lack of recognition of sanctity of life or even common decency to question and think or speak up
  • Extent of the problem
    • This kind of news is just a tip of the iceberg
    • Society is riddled with unreported and other practices may be not as heinous
    • Example: One of my friends came from Gujrat/Rajasthan area. He told me about a village where people offer their young girls to the local religious (Thug) as that is the only word I have for it. The practice is for him to have sex and cause the girls to lose virginity in the name of purification.
Just like corruption what are the chances of improvement. Just about zero as people have to question the fundamental tenets of some of the religions and practices. No politicians are going to be interested and neither any religious figures who indirectly benefit from dumb, uneducated and easily lead flocks.

I also greatly detest reporter crafting headlines in these matters. I much rather have blunt headlines. Example,

So sad and we are in 2012 and not some pre-historic times!​

Sat Sri Akal Ambarsariaji,
Unfortunately the politicians would stir a caste violence if these things are challenged and the people who practise these evils want these to continue for various vested interests. For example, taking the case of rolling over food left overs, the Karnataka Government indeed attempted to ban this practice but it met with big protests from the locals living in the vicinity of that Shrine. This was also stirred up by the regional politicians saying that it was violating their freedom of faith.

Reading about practices like these, I wonder at times whether we are living in 2012 AD or 2012 BC

May the almighty enlighten the minds of the ignorant folks.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
animatedkhanda1
Please forgive me for what I have to say, but I feel compelled to tell the truth that others are either ignoring or haven't thought about.

This is appalling, horrible, inhuman, superstitious, any negative adjective you wish to use.

However, I think this is the pot calling the kettle black. Before we condemn these ignorant, superstitious, backward tribals, we need to look at our own house. Of course, we are educated, modern people and, being Sikhs, above superstition. Still I must ask, how different is this from the way our community murders its daughters, either before or after birth?

The methods are different, the motives are different, and our daughters are just as innocent and just as dead.
animatedkhanda1

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
animatedkhanda1
Please forgive me for what I have to say, but I feel compelled to tell the truth that others are either ignoring or haven't thought about.

This is appalling, horrible, inhuman, superstitious, any negative adjective you wish to use.

However, I think this is the pot calling the kettle black. Before we condemn these ignorant, superstitious, backward tribals, we need to look at our own house. Of course, we are educated, modern people and, being Sikhs, above superstition. Still I must ask, how different is this from the way our community murders its daughters, either before or after birth?

The methods are different, the motives are different, and our daughters are just as innocent and just as dead.
animatedkhanda1
For me murder is murder no matter what the cause. Only justified cause is defence where the the family of the person(s) killed may still call it murder.

Extenuating violence does not end with a dead body. What is done to a dead body which may feel nothing now adds to the savagery of inhumanity beyond murder.

Sat Sri Akal.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
For me murder is murder no matter what the cause. Only justified cause is defence where the the family of the person(s) killed may still call it murder.

Extenuating violence does not end with a dead body. What is done to a dead body which may feel nothing now adds to the savagery of inhumanity beyond murder.

Sat Sri Akal.

So what is done to the bodies of our daughters taken before birth? Put in the garbage or thrown into wells?

And our daughters who are the victims of "honour" killings? I hear they are left hanging in trees as an example to others or sometimes thrown into a ditch or a river.

Yes, butchering a young girl and removing her liver is gruesome, but in the end, she is just another dead girl, just like all the thousands of our murdered daughters who die unmourned.

I feel deeply for this girls' parents and family. I am not heartless.

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Inderjeet Kaur ji I did not make a statement on behalf of a Sikh community towards another community. Your proverb would have applied in that case. I made statements of my thoughts.

At a personal level these are all reprehensible and I have so stated whenever there was an occasion. I would be shocked to learn that somehow Sikhism or Punjabi culture rejoices in killing female children. Sikhs do not rejoice death. The stupid families that practice or participate in such need to have strong communal and religious rebuke. Such need to be called criminal murderers in the first degree that kill unborn or just born girls. They should be exposed and punished to the full extent allowed.

Sikh Reht Maryada

q.
The following individuals shall be liable to chastisement involving automatic boycott:

1. Anyone maintaining relations or communion with elements antagonistic to the Panth including ....... or killers of female infants
It is time to put some of this to practical use. Let there be a list of people who carry this out or support this in the system of sex based abortions or killing after live birth.

Sat Sri Akal.

PS: I do believe that rejoicing in death as to sacrifice in this thread or killing of non-Muslims by Muslims as though such to be no better than animals go to even deeper level of rottenness in human society and culture. This belief I still hold and I do understand when you say dead is dead.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Inderjeet Kaur ji I did not make a statement on behalf of a Sikh community towards another community. Your proverb would have applied in that case. I made statements of my thoughts.

At a personal level these are all reprehensible and I have so stated whenever there was an occasion. I would be shocked to learn that somehow Sikhism or Punjabi culture rejoices in killing female children. Sikhs do not rejoice death. The stupid families that practice or participate in such need to have strong communal and religious rebuke. Such need to be called criminal murderers in the first degree that kill unborn or just born girls. They should be exposed and punished to the full extent allowed.

It is time to put some of this to practical use. Let there be a list of people who carry this out or support this in the system of sex based abortions or killing after live birth.

Sat Sri Akal.

My remark was in no way aimed at you personally, rather at all of us - including myself - who are so horrified at this human sacrifice while the killing of our daughters continues unabated in our own community. I felt slightly hypocritical myself, even though I often bring up this subject in discussions.

I agree that we ought to boycott those who kill their daughters. The problem is that no one will admit to it.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
I agree that we ought to boycott those who kill their daughters. The problem is that no one will admit to it.
Inderjeet Kaur ji this has been raised a few different times.

Why look for people to admit! It is the long road to nowhere with corruption in India for sure.

The answer lies first of all with all mothers, sisters, grandmothers, mother-in-laws, aunts and all females, to see that this horrendous demeaning of females is exposed. The Government could start an anonymous tip line. Almost all/some family and friends usually find out and we need people of courage to speak up till it becomes a disgraceful taboo that no one dares to. You don't need any admissions.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM