• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Chicago [IL], Houston [TX]

Jul 13, 2004
UK
For those of you living in Chicago or Houston or near and wish to see some nice Hindu architecture, there are two Shikharbadh Mandirs that you may wish to see:

http://www.swaminarayan.org/globalnetwork/america/chicago.htm

http://www.swaminarayan.org/globalnetwork/america/houston.htm

There is also one being built in Chino Hills, CA and one in Toronto, Canada.

If anyone visits let me know. I regularly visit the one in London, UK:
www.Mandir.org
http://www.swaminarayan.org/globalnetwork/europe/london.htm

All Shikharbadh Mandirs perform five artis daily which is the correct way. The deities are also served in the correct way.

~CaramelChocolate~

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
Never understood the basis for this.

Every religion seems to have it, great, gorgeous, beautiful "temples". Whether they be Churches, gurdwaras, mosques or mandirs.

Yet, every religion says donate and help charity. But, instead they build this huge thing of so much money when you have humans down the street dying of food.

Doesn't make sense to me, stop showing off your money, and put it into work.
Personally, I liked gurdwaras better when it was just someones house and we had a Nishaan Sahib outside.

But, I agree, they are very nice art pieces.

I got an idea guys! how 'bout we take another 5 million pounds and create another gurdwara thats 5 miles down the road from the previous gurdwara because my blood lineage differs from that leaders lineage, and I am greater than him, but in the meantime, let all the Sikhs in India just die away. ;)

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
S|kh, Your point is well taken, and I agree to that. But not with the idea you proposed (as a sarcasm). Those 5 million pounds will be used to create the satellite plan which you mentioned in one of your threads here.

Not to forget, money show-off is something which makes one feel stronger socially and then his uttered words are taken as words with more importance.

Regards.

Jul 13, 2004
UK
In Sikhism, the presence of Guruji makes the place a Gurudwara. But in Hinduism the places of worship are not viewed in this way. It is believed that Mandirs that are consecrated according to architectural scriptures are the Lord in his form. Which is why in these Shikharbadh Mandirs they go into great detail performing rituals to the Lord [5 arti's a day etc.]. It is said that the building of such majestic Mandirs feuls one's faith in God and brings more spirituality, and I personally believe this, as the Shikharbadh Mandir in London has done so for me.
You have to remember that whereas Sikhism is based on inner reflection and contemplation, Hinduism uses images and specific environments as basis for it's worship. Every religion is individual, and depending on the person and the religion he follows, his view will differ about places of worship, ideas and how things should be done.
It is not about showing off money, it is about feuling faith.

~CaramelChocolate~

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
Sevadaar Singh said:
S|kh, Your point is well taken, and I agree to that. But not with the idea you proposed (as a sarcasm). Those 5 million pounds will be used to create the satellite plan which you mentioned in one of your threads here.

Not to forget, money show-off is something which makes one feel stronger socially and then his uttered words are taken as words with more importance.

Regards.

Indeed, but see my satellite plan wouldnt waste money on the artichetural part of the Gurdwara, to just make it look flashy and nice. The money would go towards resources to educate sikhs. Books and etc. The money would go towards having a basic building and etc.

Caramel, although you are very correct for Hinduism, but I do not think that money needs to be wasted these types of reasons. You can still create imagery and create that image and feeling of the mandir without hiring some expensive architects. You know it too, the essence has been lost, now it is simply just a show-off contest. Mandirs have been around forever, back in the day, the Hindus used their brain and available resources to create beautiful imagery. Now, they sit back and use money, the key element which can help so many other humans and accomplish any true religions task -- end human suffering.

Jul 13, 2004
UK
S|kH said:
Caramel, although you are very correct for Hinduism, but I do not think that money needs to be wasted these types of reasons. You can still create imagery and create that image and feeling of the mandir without hiring some expensive architects. You know it too, the essence has been lost, now it is simply just a show-off contest. Mandirs have been around forever, back in the day, the Hindus used their brain and available resources to create beautiful imagery. Now, they sit back and use money, the key element which can help so many other humans and accomplish any true religions task -- end human suffering.
Its would not be being wasted. Rather than using architects they follow scriptural rules called the Shiplashastras. Infact, I do not think they used any flashy architects.
Infact, not only are they building beautiful shikharbadh Mandirs, they are doing anti-addiction drives, not only for their sect, not only for their race, not only for their religion, not only for their nationality, but for ALL.
Please see this link: http://www.baps.org/activities/index.htm

~CaramelChocolate~

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: