• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Charitropakhyan Charittharpakayan: Charitthar 48 The Tale Of Noor Jehan

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sangat ji

This is what was told about the Charitthars and I myself accepted this understanding until about a year and a half ago.

CHARITROPAKHIYAN
This composition highlights the various faces of woman. While the positive roles played by woman as a wife, as a mother, as a soldier are outlined, the negative aspect of some women who stoop to lowly activities has also been brought out.

It begins by elucidating the extreme bravery and courage of Devi Bhagwati and highlights her various deeds of glory. This is followed by the various positive ways in which women contribute to the welfare of their families in particular and society in general. The examples are drawn from the Mahabharata, Puranas, Brihat Katha, Katha Sahitya Saagar, Alif Laila, Ayaarey Dayish and other comtemporary literature. On reading about the various characters included in this composition one also gets an insight into the culture, tradition and values of the society and region of which they are a part.

Thus, through the given examples, Guru Ji has formulated a very strong value system for the reader, laying down rules to be upheld and followed by both men and women so that a society free from all mortal sins may be formed.

I am here to learn and the questions that persist present themselves over and over in connection to several of the chapters in Dasam Granth. Charittar 48 is followed by some of my questions.

Chritar Forty eight
Tale of No or Jehan
Dohira
Emperor Jehangir had Noor Jehan as his Begum, the Rani.
Whole world knew she was quite domineering over him.(1)
Chaupaee
Noor Jehan said to him like this, ‘Listen, Jehangir, my Raja,
‘Me and you go for hunting today and would take all the women
with us.’(2)
Dohira
Acquiescing to her request, Jehangir set out to go for hunting,
And reached the jungle with all the lady-friends.(3)
The ladies in their red clothes were looking so attractive,
That they were penetrating the hearts of both, the humans and the
gods
In new clothes, pristine youth, unique features,
And distinctive ear-wears, they were all looking exquisite.(5)
Some fair and some with dark complexion,
All were complimented by Jehangir.(6) .
Chaupaee
Some women were riding the elephants and all were holding rifles in the hands. They were gossiping, talking, and were bowing their heads to Jehangir.(7)
Some were sitting with their folded hands; they did not let any deer to pass through.
Some were sitting on the backs of the bullocks and some were on the backs of the horses.(8)
Dohira
Some drew out the guns and some swords,
Some were holding the spears and some bows and arrows.(9)
Chaupaee
First the dogs were let loose to chase the deer, then were sent the tiger after them.
Then hunted the wild horses and all that was done because he loved
Noor Jehan very much.(10)
Holding a gun, Noor Jehan, as well, killed deer, antelopes and bears.
Also a number of animals killed by the other begums reached the
heaven.(11)
Dohira
The deer were so affected by the looks of the Begums,
That they, without any hits, sacrificed their lives.(l2)
Those who were struck with sharp swords could be saved,
But the ones, who were pierced by the arrows through female eyes,
could not be.(13)
Chaupaee
A number of ladies rode the horses and injured the deer,
And a few poor fellows lost their souls and fell down just effected by
the arrows out of the female looks.(l4)
(105)
The hunting was proceeding thus, when a huge lion emerged.
The Emperor heard the roar, as well, and all the ladies gathered round him.(15)
Dohira
A shield (of protection), with the buffaloes, was created at the front,
And then followed the Emperor and the Begums,(l6)
Chaupaee
Jehangir aimed and shot but could not hit the lion,
The lion was infuriated and jumped towards the Emperor.(17)
Dohira
The she-elephant ran away. Noor Jehan was stunned.
When Jodha Bai noticed, she aimed and shot the gun.(18)
Dohira
When the bullet hit, the lion breathed its last,
She came forward and made obeisance to the Rani three times.(l9)
Chaupaee
The Emperor was delighted that she had saved his life.
He expressed his gratitude to her for rescuing him.(20)
Dohira
When Noor Johan’s friend talked to her about this episode,
Jehangir was eavesdropping too.(21)
Chaupaee
‘A person who can kill a lion, to that person what is a human being?
‘God be benevolent and one must be fearful of such a person.’(22)
Arril
When Jehangir heard this, he flew into rage and shook his head.
‘One should not go near such a woman, as one could lose one’s life.’(23)
Chaupaee
After hearing this, Jehangir was dreaded, and he became fearful of
women.
‘One who kills the lion instantly, how can a man encounter her,’ (he
thought).(24)
Dohira
‘Plenty of Chritars are there in females; no one can perceive them.
‘They do whatever they like; all transpires the way they wish.(25)
(106)
‘She saved her favourite by killing the lion with one stroke.
‘The ladies attain variable characteristic within a few moments.’(26)
Emperor Jehangir became gloomy in his mind,
And, then on, always remained cautious of women.(27)(1)

Forty-eighth Parable of Auspicious Chritars
Conversation of the Raja and the Minister,
Completed with Benediction. (48)(843)
To be continued.

Charittharpakayan literally means Tales of the Wiles of Women. Who can answer my questions?

What is the deeper spiritual understanding of this tale of the wiles of Noor Jehan?

Would Dasam Pita take advantage of a story-telling opportunity to use Noor Jehan and Jehangir as the subjects of an object lesson?

Is this an actual event? Or fiction? How did the life of Noor Jehan end?

How does such a story fit with the message of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj who says, From her kings were born? A message that celebrates the virtues of women and would not have kings be gloomy because of women?

Very perplexing to say the least. Because here is a king who is saying,
‘One who kills the lion instantly, how can a man encounter her,’ (he
thought).(24) This pits man against woman and hints at a deep fear of the inner strength of women, typical of men who are unsure of their own masculinity. But Guru Nanak honored her strength as a gift to the men around her.

ਨਾਨਕ ਭੰਡੈ ਬਾਹਰਾ ਏਕੋ ਸਚਾ ਸੋਇ ॥
naanak bhanddai baaharaa eaeko sachaa soe ||
O Nanak, only the True Lord is without a woman.

roab1

SPNer
Jun 30, 2009
Perhaps knowledgable member SunSingh or Inder Singh can better explain this chariter and its significance. Or maybe they themselves are reading this chariter for the first time. Inder Singh claims to have read all of DG and does not misses an opportunity to declare the 'mystical verses, long paras filled with vivid imagination, difficult language and extreme metaphors' of the Granth which are not easily understood. So their inability to shed some light on the purpose of this whole chariter is mischevious. Or perhaps they only want readers to read and understand what they deem necessary translating from parts of DG and leaving whole parts un-attended, to be read 'secretly' among the 'faithful'.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Skip the...obviously naughty ones...ha ha...difficult to justify ?? so why bother...

On being asked why DG parts cannot be read in PUBLIC SANGAT...in front of our sisters and mothers etc...One DGer had this to say...

What you DO..with your WIFE....do you do with your mother..daughter..granny sister ??
Thats why we have the SGGS..and the DG....just as we have the WIFE..and the rest..
What we do with our wives..is PRIVATE...and what we do with the rest is PUBLIC..so SGGS is read in PUBLIC..and the DG is read in PRIVATE.

To Beat that..GS Lamba had this to say...we have DIFFERENT MEDICINES...some are used via the MOUTH...some are put on....PILES !!...So we have the Two Granths..one is SGGS..and the other is DG.... (Subsequently he has REFUSED to identify which Granth is id with which medicine....)

So there you have it...dredging the bottom of the barrel for arguments to FIT...seesm to be the order of the day..why not skip a few embarrassing parts then...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Skip the...obviously naughty ones...ha ha...difficult to justify ?? so why bother...

On being asked why DG parts cannot be read in PUBLIC SANGAT...in front of our sisters and mothers etc...One DGer had this to say...

What you DO..with your WIFE....do you do with your mother..daughter..granny sister ??
Thats why we have the SGGS..and the DG....just as we have the WIFE..and the rest..
What we do with our wives..is PRIVATE...and what we do with the rest is PUBLIC..so SGGS is read in PUBLIC..and the DG is read in PRIVATE.

To Beat that..GS Lamba had this to say...we have DIFFERENT MEDICINES...some are used via the MOUTH...some are put on....PILES !!...So we have the Two Granths..one is SGGS..and the other is DG.... (Subsequently he has REFUSED to identify which Granth is id with which medicine....)

So there you have it...dredging the bottom of the barrel for arguments to FIT...seesm to be the order of the day..why not skip a few embarrassing parts then...

You know Gyani ji - On the occasions, when I need to visit other Internet sites, and read what is written about Dasam Granth, both high levels of hostility and off-color language are heaped about. Is there a connection? I was one of those people who actually believed that Dasam Pita wrote ALL of Dasam Granth up to about 2 years ago. My reading was restricted to the Nit Nem banees and I never really thought very much about the other sections until another forum member, Bhagat Singh ji, challenged me to take a look at the Shastaranama. Then I found myself starting to wonder. Before that I did think that the stories of Chandi were kind of weird, but then I figured it could have been a case of aristocratic indulgence in poetry. Then I got to thinking about Sri Gobind Singh ji himself, his life and his sacrifice, from the time he was a tiny boy, and his father who did not even want to be Guru. Nothing added up. That is when it hit me -- this Dasam Granth (nearly all of it) has to be a cruel and cynical invention by vested enemies of the panth. That is when I undertook a systematic study of the works within it and its critics.

Charitthar 48 is actually mild in its content. One can make a case for it being a lesson in proper conduct. It is by no means a lesson in morality or moral leadership. And why would Dasam Pita, who probably wrote Zafaranama, use the Moghul king and queen as principal characters in a lesson about moral conduct?

Think about that contradiction. Then consider that early birs of the Dasam Granth were examined, and Zafaranama was actually not included in many of them. Does that make sense to you? It makes perfect sense to me. To have Zafaranama and the Charittars side by side would be a dead give-away. Something is fishy.

As I said previously -- I am still waiting to be convinced there is a better way of understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
BTW

The historical Noor Jehan is very different from this portrayal of her in Charitthar 48. The article at this link triangulates with several other dependable sources regarding her life. Jehangir it seems was never known to be gloomy about her, and she died a natural death, albeit out of political favor following the military misadventure of her son (who did not take her counsel).

Other myths surrounding her life include the story that she shot six tigers with a single bullet.

It is difficult to believe that Dasam Pita, if indeed he wrote this Charitthar, would be a victim to rumors, lie about the facts, or be ignorant of them.

The Sunday Tribune - Spectrum - Time Off

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM