• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Caste In Relationship

KiranSall

SPNer
Jul 21, 2011
ssa all members,

I belong to a Sikh family. My parents believe in caste system a lot and i have a boyfriend who is not the same caste as me. i have no clue how to make my parents agree about the relationship between me and my boyfriend. I have told them about my boyfriend and they keep on bring the fact that he's not a Jatt. i have told them that he is successful and he is a really nice person but they really don't care. I am a person who doesn't believe in the caste system but my parents do. And me and are really serious about each other. How can i make them agree with my relationship with my boyfriend?

sachbol

SPNer
Feb 12, 2010
Re: Caste

ssa all members,

I belong to a Sikh family. My parents believe in caste system a lot and i have a boyfriend who is not the same caste as me. i have no clue how to make my parents agree about the relationship between me and my boyfriend. I have told them about my boyfriend and they keep on bring the fact that he's not a Jatt. i have told them that he is successful and he is a really nice person but they really don't care. I am a person who doesn't believe in the caste system but my parents do. And me and are really serious about each other. How can i make them agree with my relationship with my boyfriend?

You must plead your case with your parents. We are a caste-less society. If the boy is from a Sikh family they must have no oblection. my humble request to your parents to rise above caste and be a good Sikh.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
ssa all members,

Sorry to be blunt, but your parents believe in the caste system, not sikhism, they are two opposing things. So attempting to talk to them about sikhi and how it is against the caste system is pointless. Firstly, stop talking about marriage etc, and just bring him home and introduce him to your parents, that is the first step, and then take it from there, let your boyfriend make his own impression on your parents, and then slowly see if they come round, there is no magic statement you can make, just let your love for each other do the talking, see if you can get your mom onside, that will help, see if there any others in your family that have married out of caste, and get them onside too, basically you need to find every and all argument to make your parents see that caste is not relevant, and the thing they fear the most 'log kya kehang gai', if you can get round that, youve got a realistic chance, good luck

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM