• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Can Too Much Simran Be Harmful?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Re: Can Yoo Much Simran Be Harmful

I suppose it depends on what you class as Simran, to some Simran is the contemplation of Creator and the implementation of Bani on a daily basis, I feel this is good, and you cannot get enough of it, to some Simran is sticking your fingers in your ears, breathing deeply, and repeating the same word again and again, I personally feel this is devoid of any spiritual value within the realms of Sikhi

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Re: Can too much simran be harmful

Simran becomes bad for you when you ignore duties as a Householder, Saint and a Soldier

Veer Ji which of those three does not involve Subtle-Simran or Static-Simran to be carried out properly.To the one posing the question if I were you I would worry more about how much is too little.

Last edited:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

Veer Ji which of those three does not involve Subtle-Simran or Static-Simran to be carried out properly.To the one posing the question if I were you I would worry more about how much is too little.

I can tell you as a Householder I need the patience of a Saint and thje bravery of a Soldier when my wife starts lol

Oct 21, 2009
India

That depends as to how you define 'all the times'. To me more than 15 minutes is too much. To some even two hour may not be too much. All time-simran comes with technique , patience, practice and Grace. Randip ji has already stated about the duties of house holder as a sikh. Any simran at the cost of duty is likely to be less meaningful.
Time devoted on simran is also dependent upon one's capacity to carry out the same. Simran should be taken as per Gurmat. One should gradually proceed further. It is the way I have conceptualiized.

Aug 28, 2010

There is no question of SIMRAN being less or more as every thing of the univesre is creation from NAAMu only. Earth,Sun,Moon,Air,WATER,Fire ,the whole Banaspatee and what not ,all exist because of SIMRAN only.
Thus there can be no limit of SIMRAN.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada

Tomorrow people may ask question 'Can Guru misguide you?'

The obvious answer is no.

Similarly, the Simran as it is talked in Guru Granth Sahib can not be bad for you. Not even if you do more of it every day! Similarly no 'Sant' is a bad person.

The problem is that we equate the Shabad's terms with people/ideas in real life, and then we are left wondering.

What I am talking is about breaking the mental picture we have associated with these terms (including how we define or imagine God, Lord, etc. as) and connecting how Guru describes it to us! As far as Guru is concerned, Guru says even if 24 hours a day you are engrossed in Simran, you will not be harmed in any way!

PS: These are just my side views based on reading this shabad again and again
http://sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=3600

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Exactly Findimyway jio..
Simran is NOT whats it made out to be today..mouthing/muttering/mala ferring etc of a single word endlessly..seated in various positions, lighting conditions, enviornment etc etc..

TRUE SIMRAN is LIVING TRUTHFUL LIFE as described in SGGS. IN Fact Guru Ji declares..HIGH is TRUTH..BUT HIGHER STILL is TRUTHFUL LIVING...and we have to strive hard to LIVE GURBANI so that we in fact BECOME GURBANI in real life....and thats a LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT very rarely achieved...so saying that "its too much/bad etc is utter and sheer NONSENSE.PERIOD. In Todays world and society..LIVING TRUTHFULLY is an achievement by itself..so much lieing, untruthfullness, cheating. hera-feri bluffing, white lies, etc etc etc have become a WAY of LIFE to almost all...parents lie in fornt of their kids.."tell the salesman i am not home..Kids lie to their parents, shopkeepers lie to their customers..workers lie about being sick..etc etc etc..its almost "acceptable" and perfectly OK !! to most people.. PRAYA HAAK..grabbing is almost a must do..people grab your place in the que and push themsleves in front just to hurry up....people grab your seat on the bus..people grab your parking space in the Mall....people grab your waiter before he cna serve you..etc etc...apart from the more serious land grabs, propoerty grabs, murders, bank acquisitions etc etc..robberies, looting, purse snatching, kidnapping etc etc...
Thus There Cannot be "over simran" if we do it the RIGHT WAY....yeah IF its mouthing a single word..your mouth may get tired..if ist turning the mala beads..your thumb may begin to hurt...and you may be excused for thinking that "simran" ha s been overdone and thats bad..BUT thsta a wrong definition of simran.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Gurmukh Rom Rom Har Dhi-aavai
Page 941 Line 5

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Gurmukh Rom Rom Har Dhi-aavai
Page 941 Line 5

metaphorical language....just as in..I love you from the BOTTOM of my heart..with ALL my heart...with every hair of my being...

Shall i break some stars for you ?? Shall i bring down the Moon for you ??
I love you more than anything in this world...

When we reach THAT stage..the Love springs forth uncontrollably...and we become GURMUKHS...remember Guur nanak ji is also called GURMUKH !! we follow HIM....

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Page 404, Line 7
ਜਬ ਦੇਖਉ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਅਪੁਨਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਤਉ ਅਵਰਹਿ ਚੀਤਿ ਨ ਪਾਵਉ ਰੇ ॥
जब देखउ प्रभु अपुना सुआमी तउ अवरहि चीति न पावउ रे ॥
Jab ḏekẖ▫a▫u parabẖ apunā su▫āmī ṯa▫o avrahi cẖīṯ na pāva▫o re.
When I behold my God, my Lord and Master, I do not pay any attention to any other.
Guru Arjan Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver

Veer Ji If I have understood anything it is that the House is the holder,and when 'Ghar' wali starts I pretend to do Silent-Simran Aka Sleep

Well if pretend simran can be that beneficial, then of course the real simran can go much much further.
oooOOPs, I've just realized, ... I am still doing the pretend simran to help me stop getting into mischief!!!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM