• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Christianity Can Sikhs Respect Jesus As A Good Teacher As Some Jews Do ?

Dec 13, 2011
Re: Can Sikhs respect Jesus as a good teacher like some Jews do ?

I know that Muslims believe that Jesus is a Prophet and Christians believe Jesus is the Son of God.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

Mikejohnson2006 ji Sikhism has respect for all humanity. Though importantly Sikhism does not believe in superiority of one human over another human. Wisdom in anyone is cherished in Sikhism but if it impinges on creating inequality and some fundamental tenets like only one creator that is infinite, etc., then there can be difficulties

Sat Sri Akal.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Mikejohnson2006,

Welcome to the forum. I am a bit confused by your question and need some clarification from you.

You write:

Can Sikhs respect Jesus as a good teacher like some Jews do ?

1.What do you mean by can? It implies that Sikhs do not respect Jesus which is a fallacy and against Sikh tenets. Where did you get that from?

2.What do you mean by some Jews? For Jews Jesus is not a messiah and if they believe in Jesus, then they stop being Jews but become Christians. Yes, I know you will say they call themselves Messianic Jews which is a misnomer because Jesus is not their messiah. Period.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

I know that Muslims believe that Jesus is a Prophet and Christians believe Jesus is the Son of God.

Sikhs do not believe in Prophets nor in any prophecies. For a Sikh, a Prophet is nothing but a snake oil salesman and prophecy is just a snake oil sales pitch.

Many Christians believe Jesus is the Father and the Son.

Exodus 3:14 - God says "I AM who I AM" - John 8:58 - Jesus says "Before Abraham was, I AM" in reference to Himself.

Isaiah 44:6 - the Lord God is the first and the last - Rev. 1:17; 2:8; 22:13 - Jesus is the first and the last.

Many verses like the above can be found in the OT & the NT. It is a bit confusing. Don't you think so? The Christians can not seem to be able to make up their mind.

Hope to hear your opinion.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

A Prophet
is an individual who is claimed to have been contacted by the supernatural or the divine, and serves as an intermediary with humanity, delivering this newfound knowledge from the supernatural entity to other people.
In Christianity a prophet (or seer[8]) is one inspired by God through the Holy Spirit to deliver a message for a specific purpose. It is often associated with predicting future events, but in biblical terms it is wider and can include those given the power to preach repentance to those who do not want to hear the message and to warn of God's wrath for disobedience. God's calling as a prophet is not considered to elevate an individual for their glory, but for the glory of God and to turn people to him.

In Hebrew, the word נְבִיא (navi), "spokesperson", traditionally translates as "prophet".[30] The second subdivision of the Hebrew Bible, TaNaKh (for "Torah, Nevi'im, Ketuvim"), is devoted to the Hebrew prophets. The meaning of navi is perhaps described in Deuteronomy 18:18,[31] where God said, "...and I will put My words in his mouth, and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him." Thus, the navi was thought to be the "mouth" of God. The root nun-vet-alef ("navi") is based on the two-letter root nun-vet which denotes hollowness or openness; to receive transcendental wisdom, one must make oneself "open". Cf. Rashbam's comment to Genesis 20:7.[32]
The prophetic assignment is not always portrayed as positive in the Hebrew Bible,[43][44][45] and prophets were often the target of persecution and opposition.[46] God’s personal prediction to Jeremiah, "Attack you they will, overcome you they can't,"[47]
A Prophet seems to me to be the Western (Middle Eastern) equivalent of a Guru. What are your thoughts on these Tejwant Singh ji?

Exodus 3:14 - God says "I AM who I AM" - John 8:58 - Jesus says "Before Abraham was, I AM" in reference to Himself.

Isaiah 44:6 - the Lord God is the first and the last - Rev. 1:17; 2:8; 22:13 - Jesus is the first and the last.
There is no contradiction here.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Bhagat Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

My post:

Your response:

There is no contradiction here.

Who is talking about contradictions? You seem confused. Please read what the original poster posted. For him Jesus is the son of God but the above verses prove that he claims to be The Father and The Son.

There is a common saying in the South,"If Jesus is the Father and the Son, then there must be a lot of hanky panky going on in his trailer park".

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self

Can Sikhs respect Jesus as a good teacher

Mike Welcome, I can assure you Sikhs are instructed to and therefore must respect Holy 'men' regardless of their particular background ,I personally dorespect him and see something very special and similar in all Saints and Divine beings. I would not want anyone to say that my Guru's were not divine or true and everyone knows the Son of Man is worshipped by a billion people ,so who am I to judge his goodness, also how can I expect anyone to respect my teacher, if I'm disrespectful to their teacher,Truth is the style of Holy Men , trends and times change ,but the one who has that style never goes out of fashion.Forgive us as some of our Sikhs suffer from small man [of religion ]syndrome,our Guru's thankfully were very big 'men' and never spoke out of turn.

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

Perhaps we need to delink for our comments the elements of "Jesus" versus "Bible". I believe the question was about Jesus.

I do recognize that many believers do not see a difference between Jesus and Bible as being closely if not totally so tied together.

I personally believe all of our Guru ji would have hugged Jesus if he happened to come by peacesign.

Of course he was a good teacher as so many follow him. Do we as Sikhs believe in all of what he taught, totally different matter?

With respects to all.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Ambarsaria ji,

Guru fateh.

Perhaps we need to delink for our comments the elements of "Jesus" versus "Bible". I believe the question was about Jesus.

I do recognize that many believers do not see a difference between Jesus and Bible as being closely if not totally so tied together.
I beg to differ with you. There is no Jesus without the New Testament with the 4 Gospels from Matthew,Luke, Mark and John. All talk on behalf of Jesus. Some historians claim that there were more than 140 Gospels but only 4 were chosen.

One example is the Gospel of Saint Thomas who is buried in India along with others' were not added.

All this was decided in The First Conference of Nicaea by then Roman Emperor Constantine in 325AD which is 3 centuries later after Jesus was crucified.

All the holidays like Easter and Christmas were decided then along with many other rituals and customs.

So, in fact Christianity as a religion took shape in 325AD.

Hence, it is impossible for a Chrisitan to delink the Bible from Jesus.

I personally believe all of our Guru ji would have hugged Jesus if he happen to come by peacesign.

Of course he was a good teacher as so many follow him. Do we as Sikhs believe in all of what he taught, totally different matter?
I totally agree. Sabh Gobind hein. Gobind bin nahin koyee.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

Veer Tejwant Singh ji thanks for your post.

I actually admit to knowing little about Christianity, Bible, etc. All I know is watching with bewilderment some TV ministries. I knew perhaps that is a bad way for novice to learn. So I accept your disagreement but there is nothing to accept, I am plain wrong on that point.

Thanks.

Sat Sri Akal.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Veer Tejwant Singh ji thanks for your post.

I actually admit to knowing little about Christianity, Bible, etc. All I know is watching with bewilderment some TV ministries. I knew perhaps that is a bad way for novice to learn. So I accept your disagreement but there is nothing to accept, I am plain wrong on that point.

Thanks.

Sat Sri Akal.

Ambarsaria ji,

Guru Fateh.

We are all in the same boat as learners-Sikhs. We are the crawlers who are snailing towards Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, out only Guru.

As far as the Christian TV Evangelists are concerned, they are the Christian Derawalas.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self

I personally believe all of our Guru ji would have hugged Jesus if he happen to come by

Veer Ji

Don't you think it is strange that the leaders/founders of the Major Religions did not happen to come by each other,perhaps the class of truth is taught only by one teacher per course, but the Schools may have hundreds of years between each course,but all that matters is that you graduate and join the alumni of God from the other Universities of Universal Truth.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

Veer Ji

Don't you think it is strange that the leaders/founders of the Major Religions did not happen to come by each other,perhaps the class of truth is taught only by one teacher per course, but the Schools may have hundreds of years between each course,but all that matters is that you graduate and join the alumni of God from the other Universities of Universal Truth.
Veer sp ji another analogy is that under a big tree very few small things can grow. When a large tree grows tall (say Christianity) then may be 700 years later you have Islam and so on.

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Veer Ji They are all branches of the tree of Truth.

Although it is of course tempting to get all huggy about all the different religions, and Sikhism teaches us to respect all, let us not forget that there are several types of people that would not agree with the above statement, including LBGT, women, people of certain castes,

I have no idea whether the original message was pure and all inclusive, but let us not kid ourselves that there are plenty of branches that are not open o all at this time

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self

Sikhism teaches us to respect all,

Veer Ji True respect is huggyness,if it is excluded then that is just tolerance dressed up as respect,religion is about us not another, it is for us to be inclusive, if someione is truly religious then he will not exclude anyone,a truly religious man will only see one religion in this world ,if someone sees more than one ,they are mistaken.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Veer Ji True respect is huggyness,if it is excluded then that is just tolerance dressed up as respect,religion is about us not another, it is for us to be inclusive, if someione is truly religious then he will not exclude anyone,a truly religious man will only see one religion in this world ,if someone sees more than one ,they are mistaken.

SPji,

Just so I can an idea of your argument, would you say the Pope was a truly religious man?

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self

would you say the Pope was a truly religious man?

Veer Ji Religiousity is all about you ,it is your concern only,do not be concerned with his holiness ,be concerned about your own, as I'm sure his own religiousity is his concern and not yours.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: