• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Can God Make A Rock So Big He Can't Move It?

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
I agree with Sikh ji partially. The human mind may not be moved by him alone, but He can move (still better bless) his (human) mind to cause the rock move.

Thanks.

Mr §ingh

SPNer
Aug 20, 2004
At first, when I read that I thought 'good point'
but actually no - cause With Guru's Kirpa even Kauda Rakas and SAjjan Thug became premis afterwards!

bhull chukk maaf
GurFAteh

desperadovj

SPNer
Aug 19, 2004
blore,india.
The writer of this question is far more intelligant than he sounds here....
this is a pretty odd thing for me to talk about.. coz to start with i m an athiest....
but i will try...
GOD has aleady created a rock he cannot move....and that is the evil that exists... and god my friend is unable to move it..coz its almost KALYUG now... still growing into a much worse YUG.that is symobllically speaking....
literally speaking....no it is not possible... coz...GOD.. is the allmight.. aal powerful whom nothing is impossible....so NO he cannot create a rock he cannot move.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Only He has the ability to create the biggest rocks and then also move those. Nothing is beyond his powers. Dont take 'nothing' as an entity, which is not within His powers, I mean - Everything is within His powers :)

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Re: "CAN GOD MAKE A ROCK SO BIG HE CAN'T MOVE IT?"

That would be the same as asking:

What will happen when the UNSTOPPABLE cannon ball ( NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING can STOP this cannon ball !!) meets the UNBREAKABLE WALL ( NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING can breakdown this wall )

An atheist once posed me this question:
What action will make BOTH God and SATAN angry ? You see that according to LOGIC, GOD only gets "angry" at EVIL actions.....and SATAN only gets 'angry" at GOOD actions.....so what can possibly get BOTH God and Satan angry.
The answer was:
Both God and Satan will be angry at the action of the person who rapes the Satan's daughter. God will be angry because rape is an evil act....and Satan will also be angry because his own daughter is raped....so BOTH will be angry at this one action . COOL.

Just my random thoughts on seeing this question...

Jarnail singh

GushK

SPNer
Oct 5, 2004
London

Gyani Jarnail Singh said:
Both God and Satan will be angry at the action of the person who rapes the Satan's daughter. God will be angry because rape is an evil act....and Satan will also be angry because his own daughter is raped....so BOTH will be angry at this one action .
Not necessarily.
Satan is Evil personnified, Since rape is evil then he should be happy.
If he was angry, that would mean that he's going against himself.
Satan would be caught in a catch 22 between a choice of the evils of lust (the sinner) and ego (his own).

On the actual topic at hand, i'd have to say no.
To say that God can't move something he made is to admit that God is not infallible, thus imperfect, and we all know that isn't the case...

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Although we Sikhs have been bestowed with the right definition and notion of ONE TRUE GOD as CREATIVE ENERGY or as Amarpal ji likes to call it as COSMIC INTELLIGENCE, we still gravitate towards the WRONG notion of HE/SHE/IT by visualising IK ONG KAAR as a physical entity. Hence, by defining it in this way (which is NON GURMAT),we are creating useless dogmas which in result create worthless rituals

IK ONG KAAR, The CREATIVE ENERGY is very dynamic, always changing. All that has been formed into rocks was just some gas in the begining. Rocks are made by fusion of The CREATIVE ENERGY and also destroyed by IT.

So for a Sikh this question is irrelevant as ONE TRUE GOD is NOT physical being that can move things with his hands or kick them using his feet but IS FORMLESS, GENDERLESS, TIMELESS..........

That's why for a Sikh, IK ONG KAAR is not a belief but ONE TRUE GOD IS
which makes SIKHI a way of life sans dogma.

Tejwant

GushK

SPNer
Oct 5, 2004
London

Ah hah.

So in terms a dumb kid like me understands
The Universe is a physical manifestation of this Creative Energy, so the original question thus becomes irrelevent.

ravisingh

SPNer
Jan 21, 2005
Ottawa

Although I know that this thread is long dead I will make an assertion that I think the original poster is well aware of.

The concept of a "rock that is so heavy that god can't lift it" is a LOGICAL impossibility. It ammounts to the equivalent of saying can god create a square circle. The concept of a "square circle" is logically impossible (ie. impossible given what the terms mean) the same goes for the purported rock.

21khalsa13

HRH
SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
on earth

squared circle

have you seen leanordo da vinci's man
that is scientifically and geometrically correct

but answer to question is god can do whatever he pleases

come on get real

look at all the stars they are all like our sun
billions and billions of light years away

he has created all this with effortless ease
and we seriously debating this

GET REAL PEOPLE

ravisingh

SPNer
Jan 21, 2005
Ottawa

squared circle

have you seen leanordo da vinci's man
that is scientifically and geometrically correct
But this is not a "square circle" it is an illustration containing both a square and a circle. A square has four sides and circle is a curved plane equidistant from the centre. Something can't be both of these things at the same time. In the same way that "a rock that god can't lift" is impossible given the meanings of the terms.

Questioner

Banned
May 15, 2009

The questioner is asking can God create something more powerful than Himself...All the strength and power contained within that which He creates (which in this case is a large rock) actually belongs to Him. Size is a perception of the human mind within the world of dimensions, but God creates size and dimensions so how can size overpower Him?! Incomparably Great is The Almighty. This question is an insult to the intelligence of anyone who knows that all power belongs to He. If u want a testimony to His endless power look at how this huge earth effortlessly spins around the sun. THERE IS NOTHING HE CAN'T DO. He is the creator of all things. All power belongs to God. If u disagree then avoid death.

Sa'ad

SPNer
May 8, 2009

Such questions deal in semantics and linguistics and not spiritual reality. It is the old and tired question of what happens when an immovable object meets an irresistible force. I am enjoying reading the Guru Granth Sahib Ji tonight and am amazed at how truth is the same for the Sikh and the Chassidic ***. I often wondered how long I will have to leave the auto parts in my yard before they become a car on their own. All one has to do is look at creation to see there is a Creator. Quantum Physics, Sacred Geometry, and Kabbalah all point to Intelligent Design which logically points to a Designer.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM