• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Bradford Sikhs Oppose Halal Meat Plant Near Gurdwara

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sikhs in British city oppose halal meat plant near gurdwara

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...-meat-plant-near-gurdwara-113081000366_1.html

Members of the Sikh community in the northern British city of Bradford have come out against a halal meat plant being planned at a site next to a prominent gurdwara.

The city's leading meat retailer Pakeezah is planning to convert the site on Percival Street, once a car repair workshop, into a modern wholesale meat plant.

But since the site is close to the Guru Gobind Singh Gurdwara building, local Sikhs are fiercely opposing the plant saying that meat odour would waft into the religious building, The Telegraph and Argus reported.

"Many of our people are strict vegetarians and the meat processing unit being so near to the temple is disrespectful and insensitive," Kuldip Bharj, secretary of the Board of Bradford Gurdwaras, was quoted as saying.

She, however, clarified that although Sikhs do not eat halal meat, they do not condemn it as repugnant because "we do respect other religions".

"It is really that the smell of meat is very offensive for people who don't eat it," Bharj said.

She also said that there were fears that beef might be processed at the plant.

"The cow is viewed as a sacred animal and beef is prohibited in Sikhism as it is in Hinduism," she said.

The proposal for the plant is being recommended for approval at an area planning panel meeting Aug 13.

"A butchery plant should be on an industrial estate rather than next to a place of worship and community centre where people will be exposed to the disgraceful smell and noise," the gurdwara's president Kuldeep Duley was cited as writing in a letter to local planning officer Mohammed Yousef.

However, Pakeezah director Tariq Haq has said that he would do nothing that might offend the Sikh community.

"We will never do anything that might offend our neighbours and many of our customers are Sikhs," he said.

"After it was wrongly said initially that there would be an abattoir, we went to the temple and explained the details."

He asserted that in 40 years, his firm had never bought a beef carcass and "our business is only in chicken, mutton and lamb".

"Also, this will just be a butchery like the one we already operate just a few feet away and have done for 20 years," he said.

The Guru Gobind Singh Gurdwara in Bradford was opened in 1972 and is one of the largest gurdwaras in northern England.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
It would be interesting to see the outcome of this, simply because this city is very strongly populated with muslims.
If anyone has ever worked near an abattoir, then you will be familiar with the 'Noise' more than any smells. The smell can be dealt with by a few means but it is the noise of the screams and cries of the animals that can be more upsetting.
You can hear these from the place itself and also from half a mile or so as the huge truck loads transport the animals into the premises.
A lot of the drivers of these trucks have said that the animals begin to sense the pain and end of life as they get nearer, it's as if they can sense the cries and screams of the animals getting ready to be chopped from a mile or so away. The drivers say that the animals in the back get transported along the motorways and freeways quite peacefully but they get louder and anxious as the factory becomes in closer proximity !

For me, even if the abattoir is a mile or so away from the gurdwara, I wouldn't be too pleased to hear a truck or lorry stood at the lights outside on it's way to the factory. Would you like to hear the screaming cries of animals who know their end is near ?

Anway, I wasn't going to reply to this yet since I am lying on the beach with wife and kids on this beautiful afternoon trying to get all 'bronzed' and gold tanned !
I would never usually be on a pc in public or on the beach for that matter, but my wife had some work to do and she was having a break so I decided to have a little ponder.
I am just waiting for a little wind to come in so that I can teach the kids how to fly a kite before the tide comes in a few hours !

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
However, Pakeezah director Tariq Haq has said that he
would do nothing that might offend the Sikh
community.
"We will never do anything that might offend our
neighbours and many of our customers are Sikhs," he
said.
Really??
Sikhs over there eat Halal meat? Very disturbing....

She also said that there were fears that beef might be
processed at the plant.
"The cow is viewed as a sacred animal and beef is
prohibited in Sikhism as it is in Hinduism," she said.

Never knew beef was 'prohibited' in Sikhism. Can't really blame the Non-Sikh owner of a meat processing plant when the 'secretary' of some 'board of Gurdwaras' is exhibiting such ignorance about the basic tenets of her own religion.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Really??

Never knew beef was 'prohibited' in Sikhism. Can't really blame the Non-Sikh owner of a meat processing plant when the 'secretary' of some 'board of Gurdwaras' is exhibiting such ignorance about the basic tenets of her own religion.

The Pakeezah fellow is defintely RIGHT..lots of "sikhs" consume all sorts of meat..and yes halal too...

The Gurdwara fellow is definitley WRONG...beef cow etc has NOTHING to do with Sikhism/Gurmatt..NOTHING ABSOLUTELY. PERIOD.

So One know what hes talking about..the other is clueless and ignorant...
How can we expect anything form such ignorant leaders ??? Surely the Pakeezah fellow will get his way.

Lucky Singh is Right..its the NOISE and screams..as GURU NANAK JI himslef wrote in SGGS..Lahore shehr sava pehr zehr kehr....the Cries and screams of butchered animals make Lahore's DAWN torturous as hell...poisonous atmosphere...

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Really??

Yes, I'm afraid that they do !
In a city that is hugely populated with muslims more than Sikhs, they seem to have the monopoly in all aspects.
ALL the indian/south indian restaurants and take aways serve Halal meat only. Even the popular eateries like Mcdonalds and KFC serve Halal !!!

Our Sikh's just go ahead and consume out of ignorance because they can't be bothered to go out of town to get non-halal.
The halal seems to have a multi-international presence in these kind of towns meaning that ALL the average white Christians, Hindus, Jehovah's..and everyone else except the very few jews will ALL be consuming Halal because that's all there is in most places.

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention-
Bradford has such a reputation for it's extremely high Islamic culture that it is often called ''Bradistan'' !!

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
actually there are many BRITISH outfits fighting this Halal incursion in Britsh schools, airports, supermarkets like tesco etc..all SURREPTIOUSLY being forced to deal in hallal ONLY...all underground...SIKHS ought to contact these British outfits and fight the common enemy changing diet habits surreptiously...

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
"The cow is viewed as a sacred animal and beef is prohibited in Sikhism as it is in Hinduism," she said.

Complete double take. Triple take. Anyone so ignorant about Sikhi should not be publicly speaking about the tenets of the faith. This is just too ignorant.

Sure, the cow is viewed as a sacred animal FOR HINDUS. Ignorance or an 'on-purpose"? Just asking.

:angryyoungkaur:

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Lucky Singh is Right..its the NOISE and screams..as GURU NANAK JI himslef wrote in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji..Lahore shehr sava pehr zehr kehr....the Cries and screams of butchered animals make Lahore's DAWN torturous as hell...poisonous atmosphere...

But Guru Amardas wrote

Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok
Page 1412, Line 11
ਲਾਹੌਰ ਸਹਰੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਸਿਫਤੀ ਦਾ ਘਰੁ ॥੨੮॥
लाहौर सहरु अम्रित सरु सिफती दा घरु ॥२८॥
Lāhour sahar amriṯ sar sifṯī ḏā gẖar. ||28||
The city of Lahore is a pool of ambrosial nectar, the home of praise. ||28||

Why this contradiction. People of Lahore were killing animals at the time of guru amardas too

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
But Guru Amardas wrote

Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok
Page 1412, Line 11
ਲਾਹੌਰ ਸਹਰੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਸਿਫਤੀ ਦਾ ਘਰੁ ॥੨੮॥
लाहौर सहरु अम्रित सरु सिफती दा घरु ॥२८॥
Lāhour sahar amriṯ sar sifṯī ḏā gẖar. ||28||
The city of Lahore is a pool of ambrosial nectar, the home of praise. ||28||

Why this contradiction. People of Lahore were killing animals at the time of guru amardas too

NO CONTRADICTION....

Guru Amardass Ji is celebrating the BIRTH of GURU RAMDASS JI...Birth of such a GREAT SOUL as Guru Ramdass Ji can "cool" down even HELL...

impression.php

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
NO CONTRADICTION....

Guru Amardass Ji is celebrating the BIRTH of GURU RAMDASS JI...Birth of such a GREAT SOUL as Guru Ramdass Ji can "cool" down even HELL...

impression.php

here is a 2003 picture of the birthplace of Guru Ramadass Ji Lahore which is an exact replica of the inside of HarmandaR Sahib Amritsar

impression.php

Attachments

• Guru ramdass Jis birth place Lahore.jpg
    Guru ramdass Jis birth place Lahore.jpg
    43.1 KB · Reads: 325

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
NO CONTRADICTION....

impression.php

I have read this interpretation but I don't agree with it.Guru Ramdas was son in law of Guru amardas how come guru amardas ji celebrate his birth?

also in first line Guru nanak said lahore is cursed because animals are killed, so how come lahore became ambrosial nectar when animals were killed at that time too.How come the entire city is home of praise just because Guru Ramdas was born their

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
I have been thinking about the title of this thread and think it may be a little misleading. Yes, this slaughterhouse is for halal meat, but wouldn't the Sikhs be opposed to any slaughterhouse close to the gurudwara? If it is the smell or the cries of the animals or even just the fact that animals are being slaughtered, the situation is the same.

Is the issue that of a slaughterhouse or a halal slaughterhouse? I see no reason to flame the Muslims on this one.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
spnadmin note:

The thread title is the title of the article posted in the OP. The article is a news story taken from Sikh alerts on Google. The thread title is also the title of the news article, as opposed to an editorial or opinion. If it is misleading then posters should indicate why they believe that is the case.

Thanks.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I have read this interpretation but I don't agree with it.Guru Ramdas was son in law of Guru amardas how come guru amardas ji celebrate his birth?

also in first line Guru nanak said lahore is cursed because animals are killed, so how come lahore became ambrosial nectar when animals were killed at that time too.How come the entire city is home of praise just because Guru Ramdas was born their

We may be headed off-topic if conversation about this particular point of the discussion continues. Gyani ji was replying to your statement about contradiction. So we have contradiction > no contradiction > yes it is a contradiction > and where to go next?

I may have to take all responses on this specific issue out of the thread.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
spnadmin note:

The thread title is the title of the article posted in the OP. The article is a news story taken from Sikh alerts on Google. The thread title is also the title of the news article, as opposed to an editorial or opinion. If it is misleading then posters should indicate why they believe that is the case.

Thanks.
I am aware of the the thread title being the name of the article. I'm pointing out something that seems to have been overlooked, that this is less about halal than the slaughtering of animals close to the gurudwara. (At least I hope it is.)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Inderjeet Kaur ji

I agree with you. If the reporter reported what he was told., then what he was told is out of whack. Everyone has been doing a great job of describing the distortions and inaccuracies. We have numerous examples here at SPN where the news article either disguises an underlying agenda, or fails to report important context. It is up to the members to demonstrate how an article is debatable, and then debate. :kaurkhalsaflagblue:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
I totally agree with you Inderjeetji !
When I first replied to the thread, it was with regards to having a slaughterhouse or abattoir nearby, whether it was halal or not really didn't matter as I was talking more about noise and smell.

I can see what the op has done here with the headlines !
He/she has deliberately used the 'muslim' and 'halal' line because it attracts attention!
In a town or city like this, where locals feel that mosques or Islamic youth centres get more priority than recreational facilities and centres for general youth and elderly, then this would be the perfect attention grabber.

Let me give you a very popular frequent example that I used to encounter-
An old white lady in the supermarket who has lost both her son and husband to services for the country in war. I would often hear such lady complain about the muslims being able to get everything they ask for whereas the rest of us get thrown to the back of the queue.
I often felt saddened with the thought that this person had a husband and sons who gave their lives for the country and now she feels this same country is ignoring her !

With feelings and attitudes like these among the general local public it's no surprise that the fact that a Sikh temple was nearby, was the perfect opportunity for the op to make some news worthy of some more petitions that in the foreseeable future would still be unsuccessful.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM