• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Bradford Sikhs Oppose Halal Meat Plant Near Gurdwara

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
Praise be to the Guru forever,
I, for one, would absolutely hate being in a gurdwara where one can hear the tormented cries from creatures being killed. I could never harden my heart to such suffering and enter into some simran, unaffected, unconcerned.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I have read this interpretation but I don't agree with it.Guru Ramdas was son in law of Guru amardas how come guru amardas ji celebrate his birth?

also in first line Guru nanak said lahore is cursed because animals are killed, so how come lahore became ambrosial nectar when animals were killed at that time too.How come the entire city is home of praise just because Guru Ramdas was born their

So WHATS YOUR interpretation Ji ??

you must heard people calling Benares HOLY CITY..Amrtisar BLESSED CITY etc ...is the ENTIRE CITY slums dens sherab de thekeh, bars, birree stalls, etc etc included as "blessed" simply becasue they are inside the municipal boundaries of Benares..Amrtissar etc ?? I have heard cries rasied to "ban meat stalls" from Holy city of Sultanpur...will Sultanpur become more holier if the meat eaters go outside the city and buy back the meat ?? and maybe bring back a few crates of sherab as well to drink ??

"Just because Guru ramdass Ji was Born there"...seems a tad bit flippant shaking of the head and cursory dismissal of the BIRTH of a person who is called SODHI SULTAN...imho such a great monumental event can make Lahore "holy" if NOT can removing a few Beerree stalls from vicinity of darbar sahib or a few meat stalls form Sultanpur make those places any "holier" than they already are !!! ???? Nankanna sahib is also "holy" simply because someone was Born there..and today it is inhabited by MUSLIMS who consume hallal and smoke beerrees perfectly all right as its according to their religion...ut it still doesnt make Nankanna any "unholy"...

impression.php

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The Concerted effort should be on "NO MEAT/ABATTOIR" nearby Gurdwara. DO NOT fight on the Hallal non hallal , animal cruelty, vegetarian is good for helath , cow is holy and bakra is not types of foolish arguments. ALL those have no palce here..its a question of ENVIRONMENT....the SANCTITY of a place of worship has to be preserved by a conducive environment which means no butchers, no meat stalls etc.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
One small but significant point in the Tuk quoted by Kds Ji...

The "AMRIT-SAR" is NOT the present day city of Amritsar which is often erroneously referred to as SIFTEE DA GHAR based on this TUK.

The Tuk means that LAHORE is the SAR of AMRIT and Siftee da ghar..due to the Birth of the Sodhi Sultan Guru Ramadans Ji sahib..who would later on go on to construct the City of Amritsar as well !!

At the time this Tuk was written there was no such place as the city of Amritsar yet.

I await further clarifications and corrections if any.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Ok - Admin note.

Both the prosecution and the defense have had opportunity for direct questioning and redirect/rebuttal. The defense motion to add to his earlier remarks was granted on a ruling from the bench. At this point in the thread further discussion of the city of Lahore will be deleted. Thank you

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Indo-Asian News Service
London, August 14, 2013

First Published: 18:31 IST(14/8/2013)
Last Updated: 20:06 IST(14/8/2013)

Meat plant beside gurdwara in British city approved

0bd8a952-3621-457b-b499-c12d5fd2be76hires.jpg

A British city has granted approval to a meat plant to be constructed next to a gurdwara despite stiff opposition from members of the Sikh community. The Bradford Area Planning Panel approved the construction of a wholesale meat plant by Pakeezah, a leading meat retailer of the northern British city of Bradford, at what was previously a car workshop and is close to the Guru Gobind Singh Gurdwara.

Even as protestors gathered at the venue of Bradford Area Planning Panel meeting Tuesday with more people holding placards outside Bradford City Hall, the plan to construct the meat plant was approved by the narrowest of margins, the Telegraph & Argus reported Wednesday.

According to the report, councillors Malcolm Sykes, Imran Khan and Alan Wainwright opposed the plan while councillors Shabir Hussain, Keith Dredge and Zameer Shah supported it.

It was finally with the casting vote of panel chairman Shabir Hussain that the plan was approved.

"The purity and sanctity of the gurdwara is going to be seriously undermined and that will have an effect on the right to worship of Sikhs," barrister Kuljeet Singh, representing the Sikh community, was quoted as saying.

Councillor Imran Khan, who opposed the plan, said that the move was offensive to the Sikh community

"I'm a proud Muslim but I would find it very difficult to pray with someone chopping a pig up literally 20 metres away from me. To me, that would be offensive," he said.

"I think what we need to realise is that for the Sikh community this is the same thing."

But councillor Dredge, who supported the plan, offered a contrasting view.

"My beliefs dictate that people can believe what they want and worship what they want and I don't wish to interfere with that in any way, shape or form," he was quoted as saying.

"But I don't feel that this would impact on the worship at the Sikh temple," he added.

Meanwhile, Pakeezah director Tariq haq said that Tuesday's decision "didn't feel like a victory" for him.

"The decision doesn't feel like a victory because people are upset. But we want to do everything in our power to make a plant that won't affect the temple," he said.

Earlier, in the panel meeting, he had said: "If we get permission today, I would like to go to the temple in six months and say "Has it affected you in any way whatsoever? And it won't."

Prior to Tuesday's meeting, local Sikhs had voiced fierce opposition to the plan saying that meat odour would waft into the religious building.

"Many of our people are strict vegetarians and the meat processing unit being so near to the temple is disrespectful and insensitive," Kuldip Bharj, secretary of the Board of Bradford Gurdwaras, had said.

"A butchery plant should be on an industrial estate rather than next to a place of worship and community centre where people will be exposed to the disgraceful smell and noise," the gurdwara's president Kuldeep Duley had been cited as writing in a letter to local planning officer Mohammed Yousef.

The Guru Gobind Singh Gurdwara in Bradford was opened in 1972 and is one of the largest gurdwaras in northern England.

source:http://www.hindustantimes.com/Punja...ritish-city-approved/SP-Article1-1108086.aspx

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
In 1740 Massa Ranghar turned Hari Mandir Sahib in to a common hall for himself. I envision the same fate awaits the Bradford Gurdwara! If circumstances do not change soon, eventually it will be forced to relocate, and the "meat processing" plant will be expanded into its premises !

The Sikhs of Bradford failed to mount a strong lobby, and did not openly solict Sikh support from U.K. and overseas Sikh institutions. Despite press coverage, not a word was said or moral support provided by SGPC, Akal Takht or Badals. The Gurdwara Management like a lone wolf just wrote letters to the Bradford authorities, not to rezone the property in question in to the meat processing plant, knowing full well that the majority of the Bradford population and the council are Muslims, and money talks! And the facts point out once again that Sikhs generally have been known NOT to be "pro-active" but always "reactive"!

Sad and painfull to say that the dirty deed has been done, and the 'Mugal' clan rules despite our intercessory prayers! History is ready to repeat itself in U.K.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I am aware that my view may annoy some in here. But that is not the intention. It is to have a conversation about things even as unsavoury as this one. Bradford is the Mecca of Muslims because of the concentration of Muslim population. I am a bit confused by this news article and also by the ignorance of the Gurdwara management.

Does this mean that Gurdwara is situated in an Industrial area? If it is, then nothing can be done. Secondly, we are making a big thing out of this. I would say- So What? If our Gurus were as sensitive about these kinds of petty things that we are now, then we would not have 25 million Sikhs today.

I have no idea how many times I have eaten Halal not knowing it was. I am sure many can say the same.

Most of the slaughterhouses all over are sound proof. If they were not, then the whole world would stop eating any kind of meat. Do we claim that Jhatka is not painful to the animals if they feel any pain? No one has any idea how the animals are slaughtered if they are not kosher/halal.

If we do not believe in the ritual of Kosher/Halal, then why would it bother us eating it? Has anyone eaten a sandwich from a kosher deli in New York? In the article about the Rabbi posted here on SPN, Gurprakash Singh was taken to a deli by the Rabbi and his fellow Jews and we all know it was a kosher deli. I do not know whether he is a vegetarian or not. If he is, then all the veggies are displayed next to the meats. If he eats meat, then he did eat kosher which is not “kosher” at all.

Did Guru Nanak refuse to go to Mecca because of the ritual of Hajj?

No. He went there to have a conversation, to show the meaninglessness of the rituals.

If we start acting like others, then we have forgotten the whole meaning of Sikhi given to us by Guru Nanak.

Here are some questions to ponder:

1. How far is far enough for the pub/bar to be from the Gurdwara?

2. Should the alcohol drinking Sikhs have SGGS at home where they have the bar?

3. Is SGGS an idol or is it understanding and practicing of Guru Shabad?

4. Is it OK to pass in front of the bars/pubs/night clubs etc. etc. with the SGGS during our Nagar Keertans?

5. Is game meat when hunted jhatka if the animal takes time dying?

Guru Nanak founded Sikhi for us not to have these hang ups but to delve into the new thought process where Mann becomes the gravitational energy for all our actions.

If Sikhs are so upset about it, then why don’t they buy land next to this slaughterhouse and start doing Jhatkas, pigs included? But it would be just an anti Sikhi endeavour of a feel good vengeance. Nothing good will come out of it.

Trimaan, my 18 year old son shared an interesting thought about jhatka on the other day. He said, Guru Gobind Singh created jhatka to make a dent in the Halal business because that was the only meat available during the Mughal era beside it also being ritualistic. His view does make a lot of sense to me. But this cannot be done now because halal is subsidised by the petro dollars and is much cheaper all over. This is the reason most of the restaurants serve it without announcing it.

Let’s start thinking as Sikhs the way Gurbani urges us. If not, then we have turned Sikhi into just one more dogmatic religion, not the one with a celestial thought process the way Guru Nanak started it.

Let's not make the four walls of Gurdwara a mere place of worship because Ik Ong Kaar resides in all there is. If we feel offended by the slaughterhouse next to the Gurdwara, then we have sadly forgotten the true meaning of it, – The Portal of Wisdom- which is everywhere where Guru Shabad exists, in multiple forms; in CD's, DVD's, ipods etc. etc.

Tejwant Singh

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
Kite flying is a terrible sin, and it is a kaffir activity which challenges the established laws of Allah!

Sorry, thought I was on the Wahhabi forum. Carry on then.

When did Allah, or the Creator of the universe, tell Onam that kite flying is a sin.
I ask him is it Halal in your cult to kill thousands of innocent Human Beings in the name of Jehad.( The 9/11, 26/11, and daily insurgent activities where uncounted Indians are killed as a way out to attain possession of J&K).

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
When did Allah, or the Creator of the universe, tell Onam that kite flying is a sin.
I ask him is it Halal in your cult to kill thousands of innocent Human Beings in the name of Jehad.( The 9/11, 26/11, and daily insurgent activities where uncounted Indians are killed as a way out to attain possession of J&K).

Brother Onam Ji was being sarcastic.

P0TTER

SPNer
Mar 25, 2011
Yes, I'm afraid that they do !
In a city that is hugely populated with muslims more than Sikhs, they seem to have the monopoly in all aspects.
ALL the indian/south indian restaurants and take aways serve Halal meat only. Even the popular eateries like Mcdonalds and KFC serve Halal !!!

Our Sikh's just go ahead and consume out of ignorance because they can't be bothered to go out of town to get non-halal.
The halal seems to have a multi-international presence in these kind of towns meaning that ALL the average white Christians, Hindus, Jehovah's..and everyone else except the very few jews will ALL be consuming Halal because that's all there is in most places.

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention-
Bradford has such a reputation for it's extremely high Islamic culture that it is often called ''Bradistan'' !!
Note that many people are unwittingly eating halal meat, because it is not labelled as such!
I have written to my MP and the relevant government departments - DEFRA, Trading Standards, Food Standards Agency etc. on many occasions - and to my MEPs too - asking for more transparency in labelling.
It is not just meat... halal animal bi-products are being used in other foods, such as Dairy - Yogurts and Cream - the gelatine is being replaced with halal gelatin!
Yes, from animals that have been Ritually Slaughtered by the halal method.
Guru Gobind Singh took a rather serious view of this aspect of the whole matter. He, therefore, while permitting flesh to be taken as food repudiated the whole theory of this expiatory sacrifice and the right of ruling Muslims to impose it on the non-Muslims. Accordingly, he made jhatka meat obligatory for those Sikhs who may be interested in taking meat as a part of their food.
Sikhs and Sikhism, Dr. I.J.Singh, Manohar Publishers.
The Sikh religion categorises meat as Jhatka – swiftly killed and acceptable to Sikhs , as opposed to Kuttha – where the animals suffer and are sacrificed to God.
Kuttha (Halal ) is rejected totally by the Sikh religion.
See this reference from here.
http://www.sikhs.org/meat.htm

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: