• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Black Magic

naben

SPNer
Feb 18, 2012
peace be upon you

This issue has a long history throughout the ages and times

Through the prophets and messengers

There are certain things forbidden by Allah Ta'ala and are explicitly explained in the Quran. Among such forbidden acts is the act of black magic and sorcery. 'Black magic' may include amulets, talismans, potions, charms, spells, exorcism, witchcraft, oracles, palmistry, fortune telling etc. The forbidding of such things or acts in Islam is for the betterment of mankind.

Black magic is an undeniable fact as it is mentioned on many occasions in the Holy Quran and Sunnah. However, its practice is denounced in Islam and makes one's prayer unacceptable for forty days, and believing in what the magician or sorcerer says considers one to be a disbeliever as well.

Islam forbids black magic (sihr) and many Quran verses and Hadith have strongly condemned this as a sinful act. For instance Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) says:

"Whoever blows on knots practices magic, and whoever practices magic is a mushrik (polytheist)." (At-Tabarani)

The word "sihr" has been mentioned almost 60 times in the Quran, explaining how the non-believers attributed the miracles of Allah's prophets with black magic. These verses have been stated to clear that Allah's messengers can never be like the worldly magicians.

Black magic basically involves the worship of Satan and evil spirits to gain demonic powers and harm the innocent people of Allah. Worshipping anything other than The Allah is considered "kufr" in Islam and thus these magicians are practicing the art of Infidelity (kufr) which is totally prohibited in Islam. The basic motive of black magic practitioners is to harm and mislead others by delusion, which is again outside the boundaries of Islam. One more thing observed in black magicians is that they start believing the world is in their hands and they can do whatever they want, forgetting that the supreme creator of the entire living and non living things is alone Allah. They even exploit innocent people into believing the same. In order to prevent the human generation from falling into the offence of "shirk", Allah has forbidden black magic and sorcery. Allah says in the Quran:

"And they followed what the Shaitans chanted of sorcery in the reign of Sulaiman, and Sulaiman was not an unbeliever, but the Shaitans disbelieved, they taught men sorcery and that was sent down to the two angels at Babel, Harut and Marut, yet these two taught no man until they had said, "Surely we are only a trial, therefore do not be a disbeliever." Even then men learned from these two, magic by which they might cause a separation between a man and his wife; and they cannot hurt with it anyone except with Allah's permission, and they learned what harmed them and did not profit them, and certainly they know that he who bought it should have no share of good in the hereafter and evil was the price for which they sold their souls, had they but known this. "(Al-Baqarah: 102)

In order to relieve a person from the clutches of black magic, reciting certain Quran verses can have a tremendous impact. Quran, the one Book among many, has been sent as a cure and mercy for its followers and for those who seek this Holy book for healing purposes. Recitation of Surah Al-Falak, Surah Al-Naas, and the above mentioned verses of Surah Al-baqarah can be helpful in dispelling the effects of black magic.

Although no one has the power to harm or protect us except Allah, yet every Muslim should empower them through practicing Islam, reading the Qur'an, offering Prayers and following Allah's commands.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Re: Black.,.,.,.,.,.,.,magic

Once I asked a Malay woman in Springhill, N.S. about deep-rooted Malay folklore and traditional culture about what their beliefs are about Black Magic, to my surprise, she said that her mother was a victim of santau. And suffers terribly from various illnesses due to an amulet like a tiger's tooth which is passed down from one generation to another as their heritage.

So you see, black magic believers are worldwide.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Re: Black.,.,.,.,.,.,.,magic

There are certain things forbidden by Allah Ta'ala and are explicitly explained in the Quran. Among such forbidden acts is the act of black magic and sorcery. 'Black magic' may include amulets, talismans, potions, charms, spells, exorcism, witchcraft, oracles, palmistry, fortune telling etc. The forbidding of such things or acts in Islam is for the betterment of mankind.

How can you forbid something that does not exist

gillgk

SPNer
Jun 3, 2012
How do you explain the words "Tati Vaao Na Lagaee" in Gurbani if there is no such thing as "Hot Winds". What are the "hot winds" referred to in Gurbani? Does that mean that palmistry and astrology are safe since they do not fall within the definition of sikhism? You see, they are not categorised as black magic so where do they fall? How about a good read on your fortune in the Sunday newspaper? Feng shui perhaps? All in good fun? Since its not black magic? Where do we draw the line?

My take on this is to stick to the scriptures, of whatever faith you belong in, and leave the rest behind.

gillgk

SPNer
Jun 3, 2012
I wouldn't dismiss naben ji so easily. Many people have different gyan or knowledge and different spiritual experiences. I prefer being wary of palmistry, astrology, feng shui, the works. It keeps me on the right track (never mind that I falter time and time again!).

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ ਤਾਤੀ ਵਾਉ ਨ ਲਗਈ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਸਰਣਾਈ ॥ ਚਉਗਿਰਦ ਹਮਾਰੈ ਰਾਮ ਕਾਰ ਦੁਖੁ ਲਗੈ ਨ ਭਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਭੇਟਿਆ ਜਿਨਿ ਬਣਤ ਬਣਾਈ ॥ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਉਖਧੁ ਦੀਆ ਏਕਾ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ਰਾਖਿ ਲੀਏ ਤਿਨਿ ਰਖਨਹਾਰਿ ਸਭ ਬਿਆਧਿ ਮਿਟਾਈ ॥ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਭਈ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਭਏ ਸਹਾਈ ॥੨॥੧੫॥੭੯॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 819}

ਪਦਅਰਥ: ਤਾਤੀ—ਤੱਤੀ। ਤਾਤੀ ਵਾਉ—ਤੱਤੀ ਹਵਾ, ਸੇਕ। ਲਗਈ—ਲਗਏ, ਲੱਗੈ, ਲੱਗਦਾ। ਚਉਗਿਰਦ—ਚੌਹੀਂ ਪਾਸੀਂ। ਰਾਮਕਾਰ—ਰਾਮ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਲਕੀਰ {ਨੋਟ:ਬਨਬਾਸ ਸਮੇ ਰਾਵਣ ਸੀਤਾ ਜੀ ਨੂੰ ਛਲਣ ਆਇਆ। ਸੀਤਾ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਪ੍ਰੇਰਨਾ ਤੇ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਰਾਮਚੰਦ੍ਰ ਜੀ ਹਰਨ ਨੂੰ ਫੜਨ ਗਏ, ਲਛਮਨ ਨੂੰ ਸੀਤਾ ਜੀ ਦੇ ਪਾਸ ਛੱਡ ਗਏ। ਜੰਗਲ ਵਿਚੋਂ ਇਉਂ ਆਵਾਜ਼ ਆਈ, ਜਿਵੇਂ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਰਾਮ ਜੀ ਨੂੰ ਕਿਸੇ ਬਿਪਤਾ ਨੇ ਆ ਗ੍ਰਸਿਆ ਹੈ। ਸੀਤਾ ਜੀ ਦੇ ਕਹਿਣ ਤੇ ਲਛਮਨ ਸੀਤਾ ਜੀ ਦੇ ਦੁਆਲੇ ਰਾਮ—ਕਾਰ ਖਿੱਚ ਕੇ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਰਾਮ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਭਾਲ ਵਿਚ ਚਲਾ ਗਿਆ। ਪਰ ਸੀਤਾ ਜੀ ਨੂੰ ਹਿਦਾਇਤ ਕਰ ਗਿਆ ਕਿ ਇਸ ਲਕੀਰ ਤੋਂ ਬਾਹਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਨਿਕਲਣਾ। ਰਾਵਣ ਦਾ ਦਾਉ ਤਦੋਂ ਹੀ ਲੱਗਾ, ਜਦੋਂ ਸੀਤਾ ਜੀ ਉਸ ਤੋਂ ਬਾਹਰ ਨਿਕਲ ਆਏ}। ਭਾਈ—ਹੇ ਭਾਈ!।੧।

ਭੇਟਿਆ—ਮਿਲ ਪਿਆ। ਜਿਨਿ—ਜਿਸ (ਗੁਰੂ) ਨੇ। ਬਣਤ—(ਵਿਆਧੀਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਦੂਰ ਕਰਨ ਦੀ) ਵਿਓਂਤ। ਅਉਖਧੁ—ਦਵਾਈ।੧।ਰਹਾਉ।

ਤਿਨਿ—ਉਸ ਨੇ। ਰਖਨਹਾਰਿ—ਰੱਖਣ ਦੀ ਸਮਰਥਾ ਵਾਲੇ ਨੇ। ਬਿਆਧਿ—ਰੋਗ। ਸਹਾਈ—ਮਦਦਗਾਰ।੨।

ਅਰਥ:
ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਜਿਸ ਗੁਰੂ ਨੇ (ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ-ਦਵਾਈ ਦੇ ਕੇ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦੇ ਰੋਗ ਦੂਰ ਕਰਨ ਦੀ) ਵਿਓਂਤ ਬਣਾ ਰੱਖੀ ਹੈ, ਉਹ ਪੂਰਾ ਗੁਰੂ (ਜਿਸ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਨੂੰ) ਮਿਲ ਪੈਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ-ਦਵਾਈ ਦੇਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਉਹ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਸਦਾ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਵਿਚ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਜੋੜੀ ਰੱਖਦਾ ਹੈ।੧।ਰਹਾਉ।

ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੀ ਸਰਨ ਪਿਆਂ (ਵਿਆਧੀਆਂ ਦਾ) ਸੇਕ ਨਹੀਂ ਲੱਗਦਾ। ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਅਸਾਂ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦੇ ਦੁਆਲੇ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ (ਮਾਨੋ) ਇਕ ਲਕੀਰ ਹੈ (ਜਿਸ ਦੀ ਬਰਕਤਿ ਨਾਲ) ਕੋਈ ਦੁੱਖ ਪੋਹ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਕਦਾ।੧।

ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਆਖ-(ਜਿਸ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਨੂੰ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਿਲ ਪਿਆ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ) ਉਸ ਰੱਖਣਹਾਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨੇ ਬਚਾ ਲਿਆ, (ਉਸ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰੋਂ) ਹਰੇਕ ਰੋਗ ਦੂਰ ਕਰ ਦਿੱਤਾ, ਉਸ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਉਤੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਹੋ ਗਈ, ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਉਸ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਦਾ ਮਦਦਗਾਰ ਬਣ ਗਿਆ।੨।੧੫।੭੯।

Source:
hhttp://www.gurugranthdarpan.com/darpan2/0819.htmlttp://youtu.be/qhqnbE2IHDs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BILAAVAL, FIFTH MEHL: The hot wind does not even touch one who is under the Protection of the Supreme Lord God. On all four sides I am surrounded by the Lord's Circle of Protection; pain does not afflict me, O Siblings of Destiny. || 1 || I have met the Perfect True Guru, who has done this deed. He has given me the medicine of the Lord's Name, and I enshrine love for the One Lord. || 1 || Pause || The Savior Lord has saved me, and eradicated all my sickness. Says Nanak, God has showered me with His Mercy; He has become my help and support. || 2 || 15 || 79 ||

source: http://www.sikhs.org/english/eg79.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCUSSION VIDEO: Tati Vao Na Lagee 1/4

http://youtu.be/TxiJMirJ-m8

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
How do you explain the words "Tati Vaao Na Lagaee" in Gurbani if there is no such thing as "Hot Winds". What are the "hot winds" referred to in Gurbani? Does that mean that palmistry and astrology are safe since they do not fall within the definition of sikhism? You see, they are not categorised as black magic so where do they fall? How about a good read on your fortune in the Sunday newspaper? Feng shui perhaps? All in good fun? Since its not black magic? Where do we draw the line?

My take on this is to stick to the scriptures, of whatever faith you belong in, and leave the rest behind.

I once saw Darren Brown perform on Youtube an astrologically reading for a group of people. He asked them one by one, without consulting each other, how they rated his predictions on them. one said 90% correct and another said 50% correct. most of them averaged it to 75% correct.

When he told them to exchange the written predictions with each other, they found the readings were exactly the same for each and everyone.

Ha ha ha ha. So much about astrology and numerology.

naben

SPNer
Feb 18, 2012
Yes

Many, many communities

Which has this horrible stuff
And experienced by a lot of people
See here
on my e-mail

Most of the people are now suffering from black magic. Even my family had it too but now we are safe Alhamdulillah!

May Allah protect all of the mankind, Amin!

-----allah warned us of that
And tell us the need for the use of the Qur'an

This is a big risk

Magic in Islam
Black Magic in Islam.. - YouTube

-----Muslim has narrated, on the authority of one of the wives of the Prophet (may Peace Be Upon Him) (Hafsah - may Allah be pleased with her), that Allah's Prophet (may Peace Be Upon Him) said:

"Whoever went to a fortune-teller and asked him about some matter (i.e. of the unseen) and believed him, will have his prayer rejected for forty days."

The Prophet (may Peace Be Upon Him) informs us in this Hadith that if anyone visited a fortune-teller and asked him about a matter of the unseen - about which, in reality, none possesses knowledge except Allah - and believed in what fortune teller said, Allah will not accept his prayers, nor reward them for forty days - and this is a punishment for the major sin which he has committed.

Benefits Derived From This Hadith

1. The prohibition of fortune-telling.

2. The forbiddance of believing the prophesies of soothsayers and fortune-tellers.

3. That a person may lose the reward of his prayers as a punishment for his sins.

Relevance of This Hadith to the Subject of the Chapter

That the Hadith proves the forbiddance of fortune-telling and the belief in it.

Relevance of This Hadith to the Subject of Tawheed

That the Prophet (may Peace Be Upon Him) has condemned whoever visits a fortune-teller for he has made him a partner with Allah in possessing knowledge of the unseen.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Benefits Derived From This Hadith

1. The prohibition of fortune-telling.

2. The forbiddance of believing the prophesies of soothsayers and fortune-tellers.

3. That a person may lose the reward of his prayers as a punishment for his sins.
Benefits Derived From a complete lack of belief in the supernatural

1. No fortune-telling, it does not exist
2. The pointlessness of believing the prophesies of soothsayers and fortune-tellers.
3. Not to use prayers as a medium of asking for rewards

That the Hadith proves the forbiddance of fortune-telling and the belief in it.

How can you forbid belief in something?

If I truly believe that pixies exist, how does forbidding myself from believing work?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
There are some verses regarding 'Jotkee" or astrologer referred as a waste of time in SGGS (this my own conclusion after reading the various verses).

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Anyone who has NOT lived in INDIA...wont know about "LOW"....the SCORCHING HOT WINDS that blow in the Height of the Dry Indian Summer...People hang WET GUNNI CLOTH ( or other heavy materials) so that the Hot Wind will hit the WET CURTAIN and cool humid air will then flow INTO the House...so THERE certainly ARE "HOT WINDS"....COOL Winds..THUNDERSTORMS...HAIL STORMS..BLIZZARDS...etc etc...HOT WINDS of necessity blow always in HOT DESERTS of Arabia, Rajasthan....whereas BLIZZARDS blow in the Artic regions...an ESKIMO of course will exclaim.."Hot Wind" what is THAT ?? Where got hot wind ?? Whats Gurbani talking about...and the "Spiritual hot Wind" is sad news, news about deaths, partings, accidents, etc etc and tatti vao na Lagyeh is a Metaphor related to such...( Humans that is who are affected by such "hot winds"...):singhsippingcoffee:

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
I wouldn't dismiss naben ji so easily. Many people have different gyan or knowledge and different spiritual experiences. I prefer being wary of palmistry, astrology, feng shui, the works. It keeps me on the right track (never mind that I falter time and time again!).

Sat Nam _/|\_

Gill ji,

A lot of this I write off as superstitious, but I also don't think its dangerous. And I think its really important not to consider this stuff evil.

One thing I want to say is there's a big difference between cursing someone with a spell and working with chi/qi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi) by doing Feng Shui. Feng Shui works with the universal energy, nothing more.

Reading the daily news horoscope and believing it is the real deal is kinda goofy. Its not much different than reading the comic section and guiding one's day by the Garfield comic of the day. Then there are those who get scared of this stuff. The shun the daily horoscope and think it is "dark".

If you believe in God's Omnipotence, you won't have to worry about djinn, psychics, and palm readers. It can't touch you as soon as you surrond yourself with God.

mundahug

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM