• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Self Bitter Medicine

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
So I've been reflecting on past events here over the last week or so.

What happened left a very bad taste in my mouth. I feel a line was crossed by invoking the law. Now I've come to view it as a bitter medicine to be used for the forum's advantage in terms of tempering frustrations, however defensive I may now feel.

For me personally, it feels like it's become very difficult on the forum to have a conversation or feel a sense of community trying to bond with people. Perhaps I'm just too ooshy-smooshy wanting a warm community where debate is good but doesn't come between the warmth of community.

I've tried to connect more lately, but feel like my attempts to bond aren't being acknowledged. Some people probably don't need it as they're self sufficient. I aspire to be like that, but for isolated Sikhs like myself I look to the people in online communities for warmth and friendship as much as frank and open discussion. I come at this with a spirit of exploration and mutual sharing, but lately it feels one-sided and cold.

I hope that by sharing my feelings openly it may help to hit the reset button on things.

Guru Rakha.

hpsp

SPNer
Jan 3, 2016
Ishna ji

It is all semantics. I wish we could all write in Punjabi/ Gurmukhi.......

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
So I've been reflecting on past events here over the last week or so.

What happened left a very bad taste in my mouth. I feel a line was crossed by invoking the law. Now I've come to view it as a bitter medicine to be used for the forum's advantage in terms of tempering frustrations, however defensive I may now feel.

For me personally, it feels like it's become very difficult on the forum to have a conversation or feel a sense of community trying to bond with people. Perhaps I'm just too ooshy-smooshy wanting a warm community where debate is good but doesn't come between the warmth of community.

I've tried to connect more lately, but feel like my attempts to bond aren't being acknowledged. Some people probably don't need it as they're self sufficient. I aspire to be like that, but for isolated Sikhs like myself I look to the people in online communities for warmth and friendship as much as frank and open discussion. I come at this with a spirit of exploration and mutual sharing, but lately it feels one-sided and cold.

I hope that by sharing my feelings openly it may help to hit the reset button on things.

Guru Rakha.

Hi

You're looking for the sangat of good souls, I get it.

Sikhi teaches us to be independent and to rely only on Truth, but at times, Truth comes to us in the form of teachers/ bhagats/ sants and we experience the joy and bliss of being in such company.

If you don't find others, then I'm here! Lol.

We are never really alone, He's always with us, and we come across who we do due to karma. Keep love in your heart and don't become cold, where love is present, so is God. Accept that even people who seem to be cold are God in another roop- they just choose to be that way.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2012
Sangat is a non-negotiable requirement on the Guru's path. So I have been taught. The Cyber Sangat is better than nothing, but it still doesn't measure up to the living, breathing variety. Much is lost when that spontaneity that only face to face communication can supply is missing from the relationship. The anonymity of the Internet facilitates this distance to a degree that can feel almost unbearable to one who lives in geographical isolation from one's desired peer group. I know this from my own experience, spanning more than five years, when I discovered Sikhi while living in a part of the world where there were virtually no other Sikhs. The aching and the longing for another kindred spirit with whom to just sit or walk is palpable. I've finally screwed up my courage (and, according to some, my life) and made the transition. After a false start the Guru has taken pity on me and directed me to a Sangat that both challenges and delights me, to whom I can contribute and from whom I can grow.

My dear Ishna, I'm not aware of the events of the past week that appear to have engendered your present mood, but I certainly recognize myself in your observations. Please feel free to PM me. I don't guarantee to be the best of correspondents, but I 'll try.

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Sangat is a non-negotiable requirement on the Guru's path. So I have been taught. The Cyber Sangat is better than nothing, but it still doesn't measure up to the living, breathing variety. Much is lost when that spontaneity that only face to face communication can supply is missing from the relationship. The anonymity of the Internet facilitates this distance to a degree that can feel almost unbearable to one who lives in geographical isolation from one's desired peer group. I know this from my own experience, spanning more than five years, when I discovered Sikhi while living in a part of the world where there were virtually no other Sikhs. The aching and the longing for another kindred spirit with whom to just sit or walk is palpable. I've finally screwed up my courage (and, according to some, my life) and made the transition. After a false start the Guru has taken pity on me and directed me to a Sangat that both challenges and delights me, to whom I can contribute and from whom I can grow.

My dear Ishna, I'm not aware of the events of the past week that appear to have engendered your present mood, but I certainly recognize myself in your observations. Please feel free to PM me. I don't guarantee to be the best of correspondents, but I 'll try.

The Satsangat are the spiritual Truth practicing souls who live in detachment whether they have passed on or are alive.

They are One in Truth because Truth is One.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM