• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Arts/Society Bhai Vir Singh's Verse

Nadeem

SPNer
Mar 8, 2007
United Kingdom
I seek not praise, nor the attainment of yoga,
I seek not salvation, nor paradise...
I fear not the Hades, I wish not to escape it.
This cycle of birth and death I dread not.
I may be assigned to live in the nether regions,
Or midway between earth and heavens,
Or to fly in the air or to sink in the sea.
I worry not for any of these.
Indifferent to happiness, unafraid of sufferings,
Unconcerned about the state in between happiness and suffering.
Indifferent to where happiness and suffering be mixed,
And to where they be absent altogether,
Wherever I may live and in whatsoever condition,
Never absent from my remembrance may be my Lord.
This is my paradise, my salvation.

Spoken by Raj Kaur in remembrance of her husband Rana Surat Singh in Rana Surat Singh by Bhair Vir Singh [transl. by Prof. Harbans Singh, Professor of Sikh Studies, Punjabi University, Patiala].

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
I read "Rana Surat Singh" many years ago, it was so inspiring. And just yesterday I finished "Satwant Kaur" They are rather old-fashioned, but I like them and they explain so well the spirit of the gursikh

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
I've heard Rana Surat Singh being read in a satsang that brought tears to the seniors members. Now there is an online English version. Hope I can find it - and post it here. That was one story which made in interested in the concept of soul travel. But soul travel is new age stuff and misleading. It isn't the same as Guru Nanak's experiences as narrated in Janam Sakhi. I had bought some books by Brad Steiger - Science of Soul Travel and another book by Phil Morimitsu but the books led me nowhere. The present day Eckankar leader, Harold Klemp is another joker. He's just making money selling books after books to blind faith followers.

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
Nam Jap ji;
it would be great if you could find it. I read it when I was a girl, Sikh concepts were so new to me & no internet then! But I've never forgotten it. And or course Rani Raj Kaur is a ruler. Love that part.
Anyway skip those books, if you enjoy occult fiction read Marie Corelli, the Victorian writer. She's very enjoyable. But it's fiction!

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Futurekaur Ji,

OK, since you like some occult fiction books here is one which you'll find extremely enjoyable. "Tiger's Fang" by Paul Twitchell. Another one with the same author - "Dialogues with the Master."

Years ago I read them and 'lent' them to friends but I never collected them back. They come close to wishful thinking for reality. But don't keep your hopes high to fit reality into their shoes as what will follow is sheer dissappointment. But while you're on this reading journey, this 'dream' looks very convincing and real.

Another dissappointment is reading Rana Surat Singh in the English version. I'll try finding it. It's not in poem style at all.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM