• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Before He Was Sir Patrick Stewart He Was A Scared Little Boy (video)

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Before he was a starship captain, a superhero, and a knight...Before all that he was a scared little 5-year old boy.

The actor talks about his personal experience of domestic violence at the launch of 'Created Equal', a new book on women's rights.

Patrick Stewart on violence against women - YouTube

Attachments

• team.jpg
    team.jpg
    18.9 KB · Reads: 396
Last edited by a moderator:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I look forward to watching this video when I get home.

Patrick Stewart brought to life Captain Jean Luc Picard when I was an impressionable child/teenager and he delivered that character with such conviction (coupled with fantastic writing for the Star Trek TNG show) that he's one of my heros. I didn't have religion growing up, I had Star Trek! And I don't think I could have asked for a better role model, really.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Wow. I'm glad for Sir Stewart's sake that he never succumbed to being so close to the edge of domestic violence himself. Like he said, it's a choice, and thank God he made the right one. It also goes to highlight the way parents are role models for their children even if it's behind closed doors.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
I am one of the original Trekkies from 1967. I have seen first run every episode of every Star Trek series (except Enterprise, which was just dreadful. I have recently rewatched all four series in their entirety on Netflix. Star Trek and Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future have been a huge part of my life. They have fed the best part of my imagination and kept me optimistic during times that I could easily have given in to despair.

Each of the four captains gave me something special.
Kirk was a space cowboywith a heart of gold who possessed infinite courage and a spirit of adventure.
Picard was a gentle intellectual with a backbone of solid steel who possessed infinite courage and a spirit of adventure.
Sisko was a man of angst and sanctity who possessed infinite courage and a spirit of adventure.
Janeway, ah, Janeway! She was the woman I would like to be, warm and compassionate, stubborn and tough who possessed infinite courage and a spirit of adventure.

In fact, add all those qualities together and you come pretty close to who I am in my best moments.

I always liked the the original theme song best. jUST FOR FUN, Here it is performed by the woman who sang it on the remastered version of the original series (TOS). I crack up watching her. Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWMAU7X9pxM

Attachments

• star trek captains200.jpg
    star trek captains200.jpg
    31.3 KB · Reads: 412

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Thats great to read! Original Trekkie huh? Do you have a uniform??

I was a bit too young to get into TOS beyond the movies (The Voyage Home was my favourite :kaurfacepalm:). Now my stepson (who is only 11 years younger than me - I married an older man) is dead keen on it. He thinks Captain Kirk's a legend. :grinningkudi:

Inderjeet ji, have you seen The Captains documentary by William Shatner? The coffee guy who visits my workplace with his coffee van is a mad fan of Shatner and lent it to me a few months ago. It was awesome! He interviews all the captains (including the guy from Enterprise which I didn't think was too bad a series myself but it really didn't seem to fit into the Star Trek world, more like it belonged in another dimension). I have never liked the Janeway character or Kate Mulgrew simply because the character's name (Kathryn) is the same as a girl who bullied me all through high school so I never really watched Voyager. Also 7 of 9's physique was offensive to my late teenage feminist sensibilities haha. But watching The Captains has softened my heart towards the series.

Actually it looks like you might be able to watch it on YouTube:

The Captains - YouTube
Star Trek is a bit of a phenomenon in that it seems to dig a little bit deeper for meaning than a lot of other TV series. The characters favour the moral high ground. From day one with Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) on the Bridge it was promoting racial tolerance (shown by extension to all the alien cultures and species encountered throughout the show). It promotes inquisitiveness, thoughtfulness and tolerace, I think.

Or I could just be a idolising it just a teenie weenie bit. :icecreamkaur:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
And I just watched that song - thanks for posting it. She must have done a lot of work on her scales and lung capacity. :tablakudi:

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Thats great to read! Original Trekkie huh? Do you have a uniform??

I was a bit too young to get into TOS beyond the movies (The Voyage Home was my favourite :kaurfacepalm:). Now my stepson (who is only 11 years younger than me - I married an older man) is dead keen on it. He thinks Captain Kirk's a legend. :grinningkudi:

Inderjeet ji, have you seen The Captains documentary by William Shatner? The coffee guy who visits my workplace with his coffee van is a mad fan of Shatner and lent it to me a few months ago. It was awesome! He interviews all the captains (including the guy from Enterprise which I didn't think was too bad a series myself but it really didn't seem to fit into the Star Trek world, more like it belonged in another dimension). I have never liked the Janeway character or Kate Mulgrew simply because the character's name (Kathryn) is the same as a girl who bullied me all through high school so I never really watched Voyager. Also 7 of 9's physique was offensive to my late teenage feminist sensibilities haha. But watching The Captains has softened my heart towards the series.

Actually it looks like you might be able to watch it on YouTube:

The Captains - YouTube
Star Trek is a bit of a phenomenon in that it seems to dig a little bit deeper for meaning than a lot of other TV series. The characters favour the moral high ground. From day one with Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) on the Bridge it was promoting racial tolerance (shown by extension to all the alien cultures and species encountered throughout the show). It promotes inquisitiveness, thoughtfulness and tolerace, I think.

Or I could just be a idolising it just a teenie weenie bit. :icecreamkaur:

I have seen Captains and enjoyed it. Even Scott Bakula who is a hunk. Did you know that Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) was talked out of leaving the series by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.? I used to have a blue uniform windbreaker, but I lost it.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM