• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Become Sikh

NewSikh

SPNer
Aug 4, 2016
Hey everyone,

My name is Thomas, aka New Sikh, even thou I'm not exactly Sikh. I started looking to religion after doubting my native religions (Judaism) and I religion I chose (Buddhism). I've always believed in a God, but I never really fit in with either group. I meditated, prayed, but nothing really but I found Sikhism and realized this is a really amazing and beautiful religion that has so much answers to my questions! My closest Sikh temple is about an hour away and I don't have a vehicle, so if any of you can assist me with advice, I'd love it!

NewSikh

SPNer
Aug 4, 2016
where do you live and what advice you need

Thank you for your reply. I reside in WI, USA. I need a website to get the important literature of Skhiism and anything that he me become a "True Sikh". I've already stopped drinking and slowly stop eating meat (feel better, too).

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
NewSikh welcome to the forum!

As you likely already know Sikhi is Universal. It's for everyone so first and foremost you will be welcomed with open arms. Second the best place to start is by reading. There are some good books and one I liked was the one Max Arthur McAullif about Sikh history beliefs etc. (I can't remember the title right now if someone can chime in pls). Also on YouTube there is a group called Basics of Sikhi which have many good videos describing Sikh beliefs and philosophy. You can also download a PDF copy of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, the Sikh holy Granth with English translations. Please just remember if you do, to cover your head while reading it, even if it is on your screen.

I too am I convert (I'm in Canada) and I am now Amritdhari (took full baptism). I'm also married to an Amrotdhari Singh who is still in India. We're waiting for his approval to come here to Canada. Sikhi has changed my life and you'll be surprised to know there is a sizeable community of westerners converting to Sikhi. (There is a group of all white Sikhs in New Mexico who kind of mix yoga with Sikhi but I'm not even referring to them... There are a huge amount of westerners converting to mainstream Sikhi as well!!!)

Please stick around!!

NewSikh

SPNer
Aug 4, 2016
NewSikh welcome to the forum!

As you likely already know Sikhi is Universal. It's for everyone so first and foremost you will be welcomed with open arms. Second the best place to start is by reading. There are some good books and one I liked was the one Max Arthur McAullif about Sikh history beliefs etc. (I can't remember the title right now if someone can chime in pls). Also on YouTube there is a group called Basics of Sikhi which have many good videos describing Sikh beliefs and philosophy. You can also download a PDF copy of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, the Sikh holy Granth with English translations. Please just remember if you do, to cover your head while reading it, even if it is on your screen.

I too am I convert (I'm in Canada) and I am now Amritdhari (took full baptism). I'm also married to an Amrotdhari Singh who is still in India. We're waiting for his approval to come here to Canada. Sikhi has changed my life and you'll be surprised to know there is a sizeable community of westerners converting to Sikhi. (There is a group of all white Sikhs in New Mexico who kind of mix yoga with Sikhi but I'm not even referring to them... There are a huge amount of westerners converting to mainstream Sikhi as well!!!)

Please stick around!!

Thank you so much on your reply! Sikhism is a really nice religion and I just think Ben raised Jewish, it feels natural transition. I was Orthodox and we view having a bears is some sort of spiritual and mystical level you've achieved.

I also love the attuide towards other religions Sikhism has! It's such a nice feel. Much better than, "my religion is better than yours".

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
My closest Sikh temple is about an hour away and I don't have a vehicle, so if any of you can assist me with advice, I'd love it!

Welcome to the forum, I hope you get involved in debates and discussions, many of which tend to be philosophical rather than religious, you will find a plethora of knowledge here and look forward to sharing in some of your content.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Link is also showing 404 error for me as well.

Aha! Figured out the issue!

Remove the www.

"swarnbains" is a subdomain.... and when you have subdomains, you don't type the www.

just type:
"swarnbains.tripod.com"

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM