• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

At What Age One Should Take Amrit, The Sikh Baptism

bscheema

SPNer
Jan 4, 2010
waheguru ji ka khalsa wahe guru ji ki fateh

i had this question in mind , because one of my friend when he had baby months ago ,he baptized him with amrit , and i was thinking nd got confused....and still

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Re: At what age one should take Amrit/ sikh baptism

i had this question in mind , because one of my friend when he had baby months ago ,he baptized him with amrit , and i was thinking nd got confused....and still
bscheema ji the following from Sikh Reht Maryada as excerpted from the SGPC site,

Article XXIV
a. Ambrosial baptism should be held at an exclusive place away from common human traffic.

b. At the place where ambrosial baptism is to be administered, the holy Guru Granth Sahib should be installed and ceremonially opened. Also present should be six committed baptised Sikhs, one of whom should sit in attendance of the Guru Granth Sahib and the other five should be there to administer the ambrosial baptism. These six may even include Sikh women. All of them must have taken bath and washed their hair
c. The five beloved (Panj Piyare) ones who administer ambrosial baptism not include a disabled person, such as a person who is blind or blind in one eye, lame, one with a broken or disabled limb, or one suffering from some chronic disease. The number should not include anyone who has committed a breach of the Sikh discipline and principles. All of them should be committed baptised Sikhs with appealing personalities.
d. Any man or woman of any country, religion or caste who embraces Sikhism and solemnly undertakes to abide by its principles is entitled to ambrosial baptism. The person to be baptised should not be of very young age; he or she should have attained a plausible degree of discretion. The person to be baptised must have taken bath and washed the hair and must wear all five K's-Kesh (unshorn hair), strapped Kirpan (sword),. Kachhehra (prescribed shorts), Kanga (Comb tucked in the tied up hair), Karha (Steel bracelet). He/she must not have on his/her person any token of any other faith. He/she must not have his/her head bare or be wearing a cap. He/she must not be wearing any ornaments piercing through any part of the body. The persons to be baptised must stand respectfully with hands folded facing the Guru Granth Sahib.
So the forefathers thought about this aspect and the situation you describe is a violation of the SRM rather than happy and joyous or proud compliance.

I have seen such stuff too. This is almost setting examples of failure through the very young even though the intentions many times are so pious, genuine, humble and respectful from the parents. I wish rather not to see this stuff. I personally think it is OK to let the kids play with dresses and turbans and all the other stuff and be happy/proud but not the Amrit Baptism.

Sat Sri Akal.

Kamala

Banned
May 26, 2011
Canada.

Whatever you do, I hope you don't get your kids into deep religion at a young age because they will grow up and maybe not approve with it and not know what they really signed up for and then they'd be stuck if they took amrit, I mean stuck by if you take it you can't just leave it like it was a joke because it is a serious matter, and it's worse to accept and then just reject, rather than not accepting it at all.

But the quick answer is, after pueberty, and by that I mean the age of 17-whatever!

Namashkar and have a nice daaaay :)

Chinu

SPNer
Oct 22, 2011

A+mrit = Amrit.
A.. stands for AWAY
Mrit.. stands for Death.

Thus.. Amrit means: "Away from deaths", or By drinking this amrit one becomes away from deaths, as births are also corelated with deaths, so it can also be called that, by drinking this amrit one becomes away from deaths and births or "The maze of Charausi"

So.. this true amrit lies within everybody, but we all are disconnected from this true amrit. This true amrit has no relation with age bar.0:)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM