• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Judaism Ask A Rabbi Anything!

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
I do not know whether you have been to Israel, but I go there twice a year and know many Israeli Jews who have the same concerns as I do and I did mention those to the Rabbi in my previous post.

Veer Ji Forgive the interjection ,I'm glad we have something in common atleast, I understand you have first hand knowledge, I did a course on Politics and Government when I was a teenager and enjoyed it alot in those days Religious studies was quite distinct from it,notwithstanding I like Justice the Political Philosophy course taught by Michael Sandel ,it is a great lecture series should anyone be interested I have posted the link. To sit the Harvard course costs tens of thousands and it used to be over subscribed,but it's now free online
I don't like Sikh/Indian Politics either I wish there could be another forum for such things.As the Rabbi explained in the concept Acosmic Monism, it really means all this is illusory whilst matters of the Self are Eternal as opposed to just threescore years and ten.
Justice: What's The Right Thing To Do? Episode 01 "THE MORAL SIDE OF MURDER" - YouTube

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
This is interfaith we should learn about each others faith here,this is not the Politics and History section.Government policy is not what a Rabbi is about ,he is foremost a man of G-d ,so let us talk about G-d,and discuss faith with a man of faith.(lest the new member be put off)

Spji, brother

I understand where you are coming from completely with this statement, unfortunately our choice of god also reflects the way in which we interact with the rest of society. A talk about god, unless it includes the way in which that philosophy is put into action, is really a talk about ideals and fantasies. One of the things I love about this forum is the ability to see further than what we consider perfect and embrace the reality of life, so in that sense , the politics are to my mind extremely important, as they show how Jewish Scripture is implemented in real life situations, rather than hypothetical ones.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Sp ji,

Guru Fateh.

You write:

I don't like Sikh/Indian Politics either I wish there could be another forum for such things.As the Rabbi explained in the concept Acosmic Monism, it really means all this is illusory whilst matters of the Self are Eternal as opposed to just threescore years and ten.

Pardon my ignorance but I have no idea what is that to do with my post. First you check the title,"Ask a Rabbi Anything"! The title says it all, hence no interjection required by anyone.

Secondly, the Rabbi has contradicted himself by claiming Judaism is Acosmic Monism and under the same breath he claims that "his God chose his people" and gave them Israel. It is a self defeating prophecy.

If one claims to be "chosen by God" then the package comes with the Politics because it is the cornerstone of Judaism, hence there are Jewish laws, according to the Rabbi even how to tie one's shoes. It can not be Acosmic Monism. I can see some rituals in Kabbalah which are very much like Hindu rituals as being Acosmic Monism.

So, please elaborate your point about the reason your post was addressed to me.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Jews and Sikhs: How Similar Can We Get ?

Veer Ji the Rabbi mentioned that he had seen the above titled thread and wanted to help answer questions about his faith,I feel you took his title too literally and without relating it to the context he mentioned (which was the other thread )his tone was light and friendly,but your tone was more aggresive,it was as if he had said 'Hi I'm here to represent the Government and will explain Israeli Policy '

I feel we should not dissect anyone myself I still do not know how to split someones post into quotes, I much prefer light friendly discourse that flows ,no one as the time to explain every last line they have wrote in a post and they should not have to in my opinion.

Quote 'Furthermore, every man is responsible for his own faith, and he must see it for himself that he believes rightly. As little as another can go to hell or heaven for me, so little can he believe or disbelieve for me; and as little as he can open or shut heaven or hell for me, so little can he drive me to faith or unbelief. Since, then, belief or unbelief is a matter of every one's conscience, and since this is no lessening of the secular power, the latter should be content and attend to its own affairs and permit men to believe one thing or another, as they are able and willing, and constrain no one by force'
Martin Luther King

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
S Pimpernel ji

My personal reaction is that this quote by Martin Luther King has been taken out of it original context, which is advocacy and the fight for social justice and equality.
Quote 'Furthermore, every man is responsible for his own faith, and he must see it for himself that he believes rightly. As little as another can go to hell or heaven for me, so little can he believe or disbelieve for me; and as little as he can open or shut heaven or hell for me, so little can he drive me to faith or unbelief. Since, then, belief or unbelief is a matter of every one's conscience, and since this is no lessening of the secular power, the latter should be content and attend to its own affairs and permit men to believe one thing or another, as they are able and willing, and constrain no one by force'
Martin Luther King

So the problem imho is whether that quote should be used to rebut any argument that is made, in the very different context, of a critique of a preacher from another belief system.

Would you use the same quote to support the idea that "light and friendly" is the way to go, as in

his tone was light and friendly,

if the rabbi were using the Hebrew Testament to support stoning of prostitutes? This question fascinates me. Forsooth, the Gospel of Matthew, the only contemporary of Jesus of Nazareth, indicates a tone that was not light and friendly when the question arises of whether tax collectors and prostitutes would be "saved" before sadhoos. "Them was fighting words" he used veer ji, and it got him into a peck of trouble down the road.

New Living Translation (©2007)
Parable of the Two Sons

28 “But what do you think about this? A man with two sons told the older boy, ‘Son, go out and work in the vineyard today.’ 29 The son answered, ‘No, I won’t go,’ but later he changed his mind and went anyway. 30 Then the father told the other son, ‘You go,’ and he said, ‘Yes, sir, I will.’ But he didn’t go.

31 “Which of the two obeyed his father?”

They replied, “The first.”

Then Jesus explained his meaning: “I tell you the truth, corrupt tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the Kingdom of God before you do. 32For John the Baptist came and showed you the right way to live, but you didn’t believe him, while tax collectors and prostitutes did. And even when you saw this happening, you refused to believe him and repent of your sins.

Matthew 21: 28 through 32

So why be light or friendly regardless of subject matter? We do request that one avoids name calling and abuse.

Last edited:

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
My personal reaction is that this quote by Martin Luther King has been taken out of it original context, which is advocacy and the fight for social justice and equality.

Spnadmin ji To me a forum is a public place for discourse, I feel we should conduct ourselves accordingly,so I try not to question too much or dissect as you would not do that normally in polite conversation,I also take a post as just an opinion,and not as a posit.I do feel however the style of discourse very often resembles cross examination in a court room,so I guess the context of advocacy is reasonably fitting.

On the matter of quotes,it is very difficult to quote someone and further make sure it fits perfectly in the discourse,so we can either rarely quote great writers or we can use quotes and make bold a line or two that in ones opinion might be relevant.

If someone feels a quote or post is not relevant or out of context they can simply ignore it,it is not necessary to explain a quote ,as it is not meant to prove or teach a point.As it happens i just love quotes ,I hope that others may find them interesting and that is the extent of my use,I would not use anothers writing to prove a point and have no inclination to prove a point either.

I just say it as I see it,I could say the quotes you used are out of context but I shall not ,as it is your choice and if you tried to prove a point with them then that is quite ok.

As admin has acted for the defence then I shall and now take the role of the prosecution.

I would first ask the honourable gentleman have you whilst visiting Israel ever met a Rabbi in a public place ,and then dared to tell him that he lied to you in your first conversation with him ,and further question him as to why he has continued to accept the hospitality and business opportunities offered in Israel ,especially in light of the fact that he is so opposed to their policies in the Middle East, is that not hypocrisy?

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Sp Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

You write:

As admin has acted for the defence then I shall and now take the role of the prosecution.

I would first ask the honourable gentleman have you whilst visiting Israel ever met a Rabbi in a public place ,and then dared to tell him that he lied to you in your first conversation with him ,and further question him as to why he has continued to accept the hospitality and business opportunities offered in Israel ,especially in light of the fact that he is so opposed to their policies in the Middle East, is that not hypocrisy?
Let's be honest here for a change. You are being unfair to the administrators of this wonderful forum and it is uncalled for. Spnadmin ji puts many hours here out of true love for Sikhi despite very busy life. You have falsely accused Spnadmin ji of defending someone which makes no sense. Spnadminji only mentioned that the quote you posted was out of context about the discussion being held, and I happen to agree with that which I have mentioned further down in my post.

An apology to the Spnadmin ji is in order. Spnadmin ji deserves all the accolades the way this forum works.

Your posts are full of your own opinions and many times off the mark of the Gurmat values. When you write something like that, do not demand from others to ignore what you wrote. All have the right to express their 2 cent worth on your thoughts as it is an open forum where no post is moderated, which is very rare in these kinds of forums. If you do not want your opinions to be challenged, then do not write them. Simply put.

I wanted to ignore your post to avoid any circular argument because for me your statement about MLK has nothing to do about what is being discussed.

Btw, have you studied the OT, which is the Jewish Torah? If you have not then take a glimpse of it on the internet.

Now, I want you to be honest as you claim to seek the truth, if the latter part of your post is directed to me, then have the courage and address it to me so I can respond to it. And same goes for your future posts too. Cowardice is not a Sikhi trait.

One last thing, this is not a court room. It is a forum for interaction and learning from each other. it has worked like that since its inception. So stop with your nonsense.

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Let's be honest here for a change.

Veer Ji The Musketeers and the twenty always stick together,so must Moderators and Administrators,I would expect no less and it is no without honour,ofcourse the last part is aimed at yourself,but applies to all,Rabbi's don't come along everyday and offer their help,I'm not sure but perhaps he was the first and I would have liked to have learnt more from him.

Your business is your own but you did mention hypocrisy and myself in the same sentence and I'm a firm believer in reciprocity,especially if the outcome is we refine ourselves ,although it might be percieved as disrespectful,I'm to young to instruct you,so a child can only upset his elders .

I am the person that I would like to be,to me that is all a man can be,I respectfully ask that new members be given time to find their footing and that we become a forum of discourse and not dissection.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
scarlet pimpernel veer ji one comment on the following,

Rabbi's don't come along everyday and offer their help,I'm not sure but perhaps he was the first and I would have liked to have learnt more from him.
What makes us think a person is a Rabbi? Did speak or write with a touch of clarity about Judaism, so I learnt a few things.The handle "xxxxx 007" does not feel much like a Rabbi. It could be someone with ulterior motives to bring out Sikhs against Israel sentiment. I heard the Sikhs were getting very close with Israel and then this was thwarted by intervention of politicians from India. I got no proof of this though.

I am just chilling on this one :interestedmunda:

Sat Sri Akal.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Dear Rabbi,

I hope you are still around and reading this. This whole thread is a shining example of how we Sikhs disagree and argue and counter argue, at least online. It could be used as a whole education, if you take it that way.

Having said that, I actually do have a question about Judaism. I promise to be respectful and polite. Sikhi has very few rules. We are instead given principles and expected to use our own good sense to implement them. In Judaism, you have so many rules; I couldn't begin to remember them, much less actually live by them.

In your concept of the Deity, why is he/it so concerned with the minutia of everyday life? What difference does it make to the Creator how you tie your shoes?

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
SP ji,

Guru Fateh

Thanks for the response and I see no apology coming from you to
Spnadmin ji.

Yes, let's be honest.

You write:

The Musketeers and the twenty always stick together,so must Moderators and Administrators,I would expect no less and it is no without honour,
1. What made you think or conclude that I am a Moderator or an Administrator or is it one more part of your imagination?

you did mention hypocrisy and myself in the same sentence and I'm a firm believer in reciprocity
2. Where did I accuse you of the above?

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Spnadmin ji To me a forum is a public place for discourse, I feel we should conduct ourselves accordingly,so I try not to question too much or dissect as you would not do that normally in polite conversation,I also take a post as just an opinion,and not as a posit.I do feel however the style of discourse very often resembles cross examination in a court room,so I guess the context of advocacy is reasonably fitting.

On the matter of quotes,it is very difficult to quote someone and further make sure it fits perfectly in the discourse,so we can either rarely quote great writers or we can use quotes and make bold a line or two that in ones opinion might be relevant.

If someone feels a quote or post is not relevant or out of context they can simply ignore it,it is not necessary to explain a quote ,as it is not meant to prove or teach a point.As it happens i just love quotes ,I hope that others may find them interesting and that is the extent of my use,I would not use anothers writing to prove a point and have no inclination to prove a point either.

I just say it as I see it,I could say the quotes you used are out of context but I shall not ,as it is your choice and if you tried to prove a point with them then that is quite ok.

Please do not push your luck veerjio. The duties of admin are listed at this link.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/announcements/33118-what-do-spn-administrators-mentors-forum.html

SPN is not a court of law. There is no defense, no prosecution. It is a place to learn. Let's keep it learned. And let's refrain from trying to redefine the purpose, culture and norms of SPN to suit our personal needs.

Last edited:

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Please do not push your luck veerjio.

Admin I suggest you do what you feel to be right ,without threatening to do so,if I need moderating then no one is safe from it. In any case I have already done my penance and watched a full episode of Saathiya,I hope that is enough to appease youpeacesign.

Aug 18, 2005
Fremont, California
Dear Rabbi, I have thought on it and what has come to mind is that the majority of both Jews and Sikhs in the West are no longer orthodox ,what are your feelings on this and what is the spiritual meaning behind the bold beard and the beautiful black attire.

Jewish men wear a black suit in commemoration of mourning the destruction of the Jerusalem Temple in 70 CE. Thousands of people were burned alive in the Temple by the Romans and thousands homeless, and much more.

Jan 17, 2012
london uk
Waheguru ji Shalom Satnaam

I have a question regarding the Black Attire

You may realise we are vibration
The whole of creation is vibration.

When God created the world he spoke first.
Sound is vibration.

When the sun shines on us we absorb its heat.
To reduce absorbing the Heat Vibration we wear Light coloured clothes.

Negative energy is vibration.
Black attire absorbs negative energy!

Sit with a mentally or depressed person wearing Black Attire and notice how this will affect your own feelings.
You start absorbing their negativity!.
Wear Light coloured clothes and then notice the difference.

You will still feel much lighter.

The Asian community the Bhuddists, Indians and even the Chinese
became educated in this!

At a funeral or in a hospital there are many entiites and earth bound spirits
floating.
They look for a suitable host to attach to!

People wearing Black clothes are very attractive to them..and so are over emotional recipiants, as emotion too opens our Aura, and causes tears in it.

This is one reason the Hindus and Sikhs wear White at funerals.

Their Gurus and psychic elders realised this and with great insight realised that these demons and negative entities were repelled to a certain extent by the White Attire.

So my answer is

Black Attiire absorbs Negative vibration.

this earth is a tough place to live in. I have had many Lessons in this. Not only do our thought attract negative energy even our Attire has an affect on us.

I remember by Grandmother (bless her she was a pure and humble soul, prayed 24 hrs a day) telling me , not to wear strong perfumes as this would seep into the Ether and attract negative Bhoots as she would say.

Shalom Satnaam

Read this book which is a free down load and it talks about this too!

Free: Download Awakening the Third Eye

A step by step method to awaken the third eye and engage spiritual vision. A manual packed with practical information and techniques on clairvoyance, dowsing land energies, psychic sleep, perceiving acupuncture meridians, psychic protection and grounding. The book also presents a number of fundamental principles of the Clairvision work.
First published in the early 1990's in Australia, Samuel Sagan's book Awakening the Third Eye was then published in the US and reprinted twice. There are 30,000 copies in print.
It is now offered as a free download.
imagfile_0000_0000_0000_2000_0000_0000_0680_0025.jpg

Hi, Scarlet!

I think that secularization and interfaith marriages are the bane of our faiths and peoples. The west if free, and thank G-d for that. We do not suffer persecution but secularization also opens up our peoples to secular thought and other peoples beliefs, which may erode our own.

It's a double edged sword.

In regards to the beard, Jews are forbidden to shave our beards with a razor (or pumice stone) but may trim it with scissors, and some do. However, the
beard is also a very holy thing.

In Judaism, there is the concept that if a there is a negative commandment, as in this case "do not shave", then there is an accompanying positive commandment to have a beard. So, as a beard is the vessel of a positive commandment, it is holy. The same applies to peyos (sidelocks).

The black attire is about two things:

The first, is that G-d has commanded us NOT to wear the attire of the nations around us. We are supposed to be " a nation of priests and holy people". Fashion is mundane, we have no business associating ourselves with mundane things.

The garb differs from school to school, also. If a particular Rav or Rebbe (like Gurus) do something, people try to emulate their Rebbe or Rav by copying his dress, as well as his tune in prayer, his Talit (prayer shawl) etc. in the attempt to follow in his foot steps and become closer to G-d.

-Sholom[/QUOTE]

Aug 18, 2005
Fremont, California
NOt all Rabbis wear black. Some wear it on occassion. The Ashkenazi Jews of Northern Europe wear black. The Sefardic, Yemenite, Persian Jews do not traditionally wear black.

Black now is a formal business attire color. or grey colors.

There is no such Jewish law that black is the only color to wear.

Black is the presence of all colors.

White is the absence of all colors.

In the eye of God, there is no color. Humans invented the concept of color as it appears through the color cones of the eye, transmitting the pattern to the brain.

What is color, anyway? If you magnifiy any object a billion times, there will be no color, only pixels of God's huqam in operation. waves, tiny particles unseen.

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
Actually you have that backwards.... white is the combination of all colours and black is the absence of colour. Take white light and shine into a prism and you will see a rainbow.
I don't know how much this matters in regard to this forum or this topic, but:
In pigment, black is the combination of all colours; in light, white is the combination of all colours.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: