• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Ashdoc's movie review---Kesari

ashdoc

Movie Critic
SPNer
Jul 19, 2011
The movie is based on the battle of Saragarhi fought in 1897 , in which only 21 sikh soldiers of the 36th sikh regiment from British indian army chose to fight more than 10000 invading pathan tribals in defence of the fort they guarded . All 21 sikh soldiers died defending the fort , killing hundreds of marauding pathan irregulars before they were overrun.

Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 11.37.56 AM.png
Akshay Kumar plays hawildar Ishar Singh , who is commandant of the fort . He has been sent there because he disobeyed a direct order by his superior British officer to not interfere in the beheading of a pathan woman who was going to be killed because she had left her husband with whom she had been forcibly married . Ishar Singh saves the woman from being punished by the pathan tribal laws and angers the religious leader of the pathans . He declares jehad to avenge the insult to his authority . The whole situation regarding the pathan woman seems to be fictitious and not recorded history ; it seems to have been added to add colour to the story in an act of cinematic liberty .

Ishar Singh has been repeatedly insulted by his superior British officer that Indians are slaves because they are weak , so when the pathans attack the fort he claims to his soldiers that he has orders to evacuate the fort . They all refuse this as an insult to their profession , and choose to fight . This liberates them from British yoke in his eyes , for they have chosen to disobey orders . He then dons the kesari ( saffron ) turban signalling his steely will to sacrifice his life and prepares to fight . Before all this he has to discipline the men when he newly arrives to take command , because they are a disorderly bunch . This leads to some comic situations and some laughs . Ishar fondly remembers his wife ( Parineeti Chopra ) again and again as he is doing his job and there are some imagined moments of tenderness between them . Needless to say , all this is cinematic liberty taken by the director to add a touch of patriotism and romance to the situation . Luckily the kesari ( saffron ) turban is donned by a sikh in this case ; if it had been donned by a hindu the whole liberal/leftist lobby would have been up in arms against the movie !!!!!

The actual battle is well shown in the movie . The religious leader of pathans kills the woman who had brought on the confrontation by his sword in full view of the Sikhs . Hordes of pathans waving their flags and chanting their war cries attack the fort of saragarhi . They honk their war horns and beat their war drums . In response Ishar Singh beats his own drum and the Sikhs cry their own war cry---'Jo bole so Nihaal , Sat Sri Akal !!' They clash with rifles and guns and explosives till the final reckoning by hand to hand combat . When the sikh soldiers have finally laid down their lives taking scores of pathans with them , you do feel real emotion .

The movie has only one or two songs , which are good . Overall background music is good and so is photography . The colours are stark due to the stark landscape of the rugged north west frontier province . Acting is decent by everyone .

Verdict---Good .

Four stars out of five .

gjsingh

SPNer
Oct 29, 2013
I saw the trailer and the paghs of the Sikh soldiers were magnificent. Unfortunately the movie is almost 2.5 hours long. I don't think I have the stamina for that.
Luckily the kesari ( saffron ) turban is donned by a sikh in this case ; if it had been donned by a hindu the whole liberal/leftist lobby would have been up in arms against the movie !!!!!
Please explain this to me. Something to do with Hindutva? Do the Pathans symbolically represent Pakistan or something like that?

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
I saw the trailer and the paghs of the Sikh soldiers were magnificent. Unfortunately the movie is almost 2.5 hours long. I don't think I have the stamina for that.

Please explain this to me. Something to do with Hindutva? Do the Pathans symbolically represent Pakistan or something like that?

Keep your critical lens at home... go, watch and enjoy the movie! :) Even I was cynical but you would be pleasantly surprised... its an Epic!

ashdoc

Movie Critic
SPNer
Jul 19, 2011

If the Kesari ( saffron ) turban would have been worn by a Hindu then the critics belonging to the liberal lobby ( and there are many of them ) would have panned the movie . Anything saffron worn by a Hindu would have given rise to their ire . For saffron represents Hindu fundamentalism for them . Luckily the Kesari turban has been worn by a Sikh in this case . So they are quiet .

Last edited:

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
How pathetic and insesntive some crtics are trying to communalise colors of turban . In India color of Turban in Army isOlive Green ? What does it mean than.

ashdoc

Movie Critic
SPNer
Jul 19, 2011
How pathetic and insesntive some crtics are trying to communalise colors of turban . In India color of Turban in Army isOlive Green ? What does it mean than.

I think I am within my limits to talk about the attitude of the liberal critics .

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM