• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Movies Ashdoc's Movie Review---Desi Kattey

ashdoc

Movie Critic
SPNer
Jul 19, 2011
The state of Uttar Pradesh---rustic heart of the real India....

And at the banks of the Ganges river is a small town which is the center for the manufacture of home made revolvers known as 'kattey' in plural....

......For the 'katta' plays an important part in the politics of the region....

The 'katta' revolver can hold only one bullet at a time , and has to be reloaded to fire again.....but sometimes it gets damaged in one firing itself and cannot ever fire again....sometimes it explodes while firing in the hand of the person holding it.....now isn't that uniquely Indian !!

.....That's what I felt on seeing this film----even though my native state is not Uttar Pradesh , after a long time of seeing films with glamour made in glitzy locations I felt that I was in the real India ; in my land , among my people !!

And the photography made me feel even more so---photography of the river Ganga flowing serenely through the evergreen countryside ; photography of bridges over the mighty river being crossed by overloaded railway trains which are the lifeline of the nation....

In this town are born and bred two inseparable friends---Pali and Gyani....
They learn to live fight and eat together....and naturally they become expert in the art of firing the 'katta' revolver which has made their town both notorious and famous....

And as they grow their expertise in firing guns and fighting foes increases and so does their friendship.....
And they believe they can't do without each other....

Opportunities beckon people with such remarkable skills---for the ganglords of the region notice their talents and give them a chance to work for them.....
And as the ganglords turn into politicians the power and aura of the deadly duo increases....

It's a life of crime---of pumping bullets into their bosses' rivals and punching hard those who offended their masters....a life of deadly games with death and vows of everlasting vengeance....

But somewhere in the heart of one of the two ( Pali ) is a gentleman and a romantic.....for who other than him would dare to fall in love since childhood with an older woman who has been used and abused by a dozen men if not more( played by Tia Bajpai of woman-getting-exploited roles fame )and then proposing her and marrying her.....

It seems life has set a course of violence for the two of them....
.....Until an an army major ( played by Sunil Shetty ) comes to them with the idea of using their astonishing skills with the gun to win medals for India in distant lands and in international championships....a life of respectability and success....a life of firing pistols of international quality instead of inferior homemade revolvers....
And to add to the rewards he has a delicious sister ( played by Sasha Agha ) with smooth pink skin and light eyes who looks good enough to eat , and who begins to like Gyani....

As hard training using the new high class weapons is being enforced on them by the major , at the same time the gangland boss ( played by Ashutosh Rana ) wants to make the two his partners in his multi million rupee business as enforcers....

So on one side is a life of ambition and normalcy with the major who wants the two to become sportsmen....
And on the other is what the two dreamt of becoming all their life before the major and his delicious sister came in their lives ....
On one side is the glory of triumphing with medals carrying the the nation's flag in the whole wide world....
On the other is the fear and power of becoming crimelords of their own little corner of the world....

And it is left for one of the two friends to choose one kind of life and the other to choose the other life....

So who chooses which type of life ??
What happens to their inseparable friendship ??
Does the underworld let go easily of it's tryst with them ??

Watch the movie for the answers....

The movie has melodious musical score sung well by the redoubtable Kailash Kher .
And it has some emotional scenes towards the end---of friendship , of love ; and of holding steadfast to that love and friendship in the midst of betrayal....

Acting by Akhil Kapur ( as Pali ) and Jay Bhanushali ( as Gyani ) was not good in the beginning and this fact was compounded by their weak voices . But as the movie moved on their acting improved and became better---just in time for the emotional scenes....

And as the scenes turned emotional the movie looked better , because even in the midst of emotion it was never short of some gun toting action....

Stayed true to it's name....

Verdict---I quite liked this story of innocent old fashioned actionpacked friendship set in the not-so-innocent 21st century .

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM