• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!
Dear all!

The true Gurus often sing the joy of becoming Suhaagan, married with God.
Does the true Sikh seek this relation while married with the worldly spouse?

Has someone any experience to share?

Balbir Singh

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
I registered my marriage and got divorced legally. So does that give me the green light to engage into another relationship ? I ask this question because I also had an Anand Karaj Ceremony in the Gurdwara and there is no such thing as divorce in Sikhism according to SRM. So what would be your opinion from Sikhi viewpoint ?

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear all and Namjap Jee!

Quote "I registered my marriage and got divorced legally. So does that give me the green light to engage into another relationship ?"
Your legality is based on the court law of a nation. Even red light does not bother one while engaging into another relationship.

Quote "I ask this question because there is no such thing as divorce in Sikhism according to SRM."
Sikhism and SRM are different and opposite ways, in my view.

Quote "So what would be your opinion from Sikhi viewpoint ?"
I have requested experienced Sikhs for viewpoints. Right now I do not have an opinion.

Balbir Singh

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਕੈ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਵਾਰੁ ॥
ब्रहम गिआनी कै नामु परवारु ॥
Barahm gi*ānī kai nām parvār.
The God-conscious being has the Naam as his Family.
Guru Arjan Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
The true Gurus often sing the joy of becoming Suhaagan, married with God.
Does the true Sikh seek this relation while married with the worldly spouse?

Has someone any experience to share?

I dont have any experience to share but felt like saying something

May be Guruji is not talking about Physical body when becoming suhagan .

As per History available Guru ji were also Married to spouse in thier life and also they wrote about being Suhagaan of GOD

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
I registered my marriage and got divorced legally. So does that give me the green light to engage into another relationship ?

In my opinion I think it will be alright if you marry again now and as per sikhi also it should be ok

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I have read in a number of official places that divorce is not prohibited per se in Sikhism. Naturally Sikhi discourages divorce -- for all the reasons that every society and religious discourages the break-up of a family. Which religion encourages divorce? Some make it easier (Islam) and others make it impossible (Roman Catholocism you can only annul) if you want to retain your standing in the faith. None of them say -- Hey, divorce is a good idea!! Go for it!!

As for bigamy in Sikhism -- there are two ways to look at this.

When bigamy is permitted on the physical plane by law (borrowing from drkhalsa ji here) then a Sikh has a legal opening to have more than one wife. But today the Rehit Maryada explicitly forbids that. Will it come as a surprise to know that both Guru Arjan Dev and Guru Gobind Singh had two wives? And the Sikh maharjas had harems and they were Sikhs.

I don't think Balbir's question is about any of this. If we are the Soul Bride, as both men and women are, and He is our Husband Lord, then are married Sikhs practicing bigamy? To answer this question - refer to drkhalsa ji's comments above. Again it is a matter of keeping the world of material reality in focus as we move to the ruth of Waheguru.

Bigamy is not my most important question. Infatuation with the pleasures of Maya needs to be my greater concern. We cannot judge one another either. How many of us have prepared our bed to receive the Husband Lord? Who has pleased Him? Who has met Him and consummated this relationship? Only He knows the answer because he sees into each and every heart.

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear all and Jatinder Singh Jee!

Quote "May be Guruji is not talking about Physical body when becoming suhagan ."
Does only a part of the human existence become Suhaagan marrying God?

Quote "As per History available Guru ji were also Married to spouse in thier life and also they wrote about being Suhagaan of GOD."
Does this happen at different times in a life or simultaneously?

Quote from Aad0002 Jee "I don't think Balbir's question is about any of this. If we are the Soul Bride, as both men and women are, and He is our Husband Lord, then are married Sikhs practicing bigamy?"
Is it all right for a Sikh to marry someone on physical level and marry God on other levels? Does the true Sikh live in duality?

Balbir Singh

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Quote "May be Guruji is not talking about Physical body when becoming suhagan ."

Quote "As per History available Guru ji were also Married to spouse in thier life and also they wrote about being Suhagaan of GOD."

Quote from Aad0002 Jee "I don't think Balbir's question is about any of this. If we are the Soul Bride, as both men and women are, and He is our Husband Lord, then are married Sikhs practicing bigamy?"
Is it all right for a Sikh to marry someone on physical level and marry God on other levels? Does the true Sikh live in duality?

Balbir Singh

Physical body follows the genetic urges of finding the opposite sex which is just natural duplication of life forms. Worms and bacteria do not need sex education. Yet they have existed from time immemorial. Ask a worm if it has a husband. A worm does not know that it knows. But man does.
So, my good old buddy, Balbir Singh Jeeee, you either enter a wormhole towards elevated consciousness or just live like an insect or worm.

Hum Kirae Kiram Satgur Sarnai, Kar Daya Naam Pargaas.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
NamJap

I am not getting it. Please tell me what I said on a subliminal level. And I didn't say this part

If it is too embarrassing, you can send me a pm. I hope I did not embarrass myself. However, I do feel another attack of exasperation around the corner. "Does God Have Hands?" "Who is Waheguru's Guru?" and so forth.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Balbir Singh

Balbir ji

Now I am in trouble with NamJap:{;o:

Let me answer a question with a question. Is it all right for a Sikh to marry someone on a physical level and marry God on other levels, if Sikhism is a householder's religion?

At least 8 of the 10 Gurus were married and had children. I am not sure about Guru Angaad.

I am off the thread for now -- :whisling:unless someone else says something that sounds as if it is going to really make a difference in my connection with Sikhism.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Hum Kirae Kiram Satgur Sarnai, Kar Daya Naam Pargaas.

Guru Ji says that we are like insects and worms until we come to His Grace and get the enlightenment from Naam.

Here's some info about wormholes :

Albert Einstein and Nathan Rosen realized that general relativity allows the existence of “bridges,” originally called Einstein-Rosen bridges but now known as wormholes. These space-time tubes act as shortcuts connecting distant regions of space-time. By journeying through a wormhole, you could travel between the two regions faster than a beam of light would be able to if it moved through normal space-time. As with any mode of faster-than-light travel, wormholes offer the possibility of time travel.

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear all and Namjap Jee!

Quote "Physical body follows the genetic urges of finding the opposite sex which is just natural duplication of life forms."
Did the true Gurus also appreciate the genetic urge of the physical body finding the opposite sex?

Quote "Worms and bacteria do not need sex education."
Human beings always claim to know Lord's creation.

Quote "you either enter a wormhole towards elevated consciousness or just live like an insect or worm."
Is it really your experience? Strange, some people are experts of the rest of the world.
Dasam Dwaar is above worm holes found within.

Quote from Aad0002 Jee " . . . if Sikhism is a householder's religion?"
I found many Sikhs living in Udaasee, as Nirmalee or as Nihungs. Divorced Sikhs are the most modern Sikhs.
Apart from this many householders living on earth may not be knowing what is Sikhism.

Quote "At least 8 of the 10 Gurus were married and had children. I am not sure about Guru Angaad."
Have Sikhs learned anything else from their true Gurus than imitating them on physical level?

Quote "I am off the thread for now -- unless someone else says something that sounds as if it is going to really make a difference in my connection with Sikhism."
The true Sikh is like the soft clay in the hands of the potter to receive the shape.

Better seek Truth accompanying the Naam. Do not follow your Guru Mustuk (Mind) Singh Khalsa.

The curiosity raised is 'Are Sikhs inclined to bigamy?'
I want to extend this query. Does your spouse feel fine with it when someone prepares his bed to share with God?

Sikhi is not wearing symbols with a particular dress while chanting borrowed Hymns alone and seeking appreciation from others.

Balbir Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Balbir ji

I guess I am back.

I said Quote "At least 8 of the 10 Gurus were married and had children. I am not sure about Guru Angaad." End my quote

And you answered quote
Have Sikhs learned anything else from their true Gurus than imitating them on physical level? End your quote.

Wow!

And I said
"I am off the thread for now -- unless someone else says something that sounds as if it is going to really make a difference in my connection with Sikhism." End my quote

And you answered Quote
The true Sikh is like the soft clay in the hands of the potter to receive the shape. End your quote.

And if that potter is not Waheguru, then pray tell who?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Physical body follows the genetic urges of finding the opposite sex which is just natural duplication of life forms."
Did the true Gurus also appreciate the genetic urge of the physical body finding the opposite sex?

What makes you think True Guru (not True Gurus) is physical ?

Quote "At least 8 of the 10 Gurus were married and had children. I am not sure about Guru Angaad."
Have Sikhs learned anything else from their true Gurus than imitating them on physical level?

So now you've come to terms with the concept that Guru isn't physical. Hmm.... Are you OK?

Is it really your experience? Strange, some people are experts of the rest of the world.
Dasam Dwaar is above worm holes found within.
My experience is everything we perceive is a reflection of our inner state of development.

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear all and Aad0002 Jee!

Quote "And if that potter is not Waheguru, then pray tell who?!"
It depends when one recognizes God Potter. Most people find potters made of earthly matter.

Dear Namjap Jee,
I do not know the state of marriage less people. Marriage may be deadly or Godly. Rarely someone recognizes God's offer to marry HIM, the ring of Naam Simran.

Balbir Singh

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Man is polygamous by Nature. To say, that one is not, is to admit something that is not a truth. However, there are exceptions to everything.

In my humble opinion the kind of the upbringing that Sikh boys have as per the value system provided by the family, they do not tend to be bigamous/polygamous either.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Balbir Singh ji

Sat Sri Akal!

May be one Seize to exist as seperate entity after becoming Suhagan of GOD

May be when one gets the wisdom of God and God himself it is called being Suhagan so at that stage may be their is no need of two spouses or duality to exist

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear all and Namjap Jee!

Quote "Man is polygamous by Nature."
Man entangled with the multiplicity of Nature does not realize Nirgun Lord.

Quote "In my humble opinion the kind of the upbringing that Sikh boys have as per the value system provided by the family, they do not tend to be bigamous/polygamous either."
Is this a fact or a secret?

Quote from Jatinder Singh Jee "May be one Seize to exist as seperate entity after becoming Suhagan of GOD."
Suhaagan is joining ONE.
It is not existing as one separate entity.

One first sign is that He puts saliva into the mouth of the accepted Suhaagan.
Please listen. Gurdev is singing.

ਕੀਓ ਸੀਗਾਰੁ ਮਿਲਣ ਕੈ ਤਾਈ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਲੀਓ ਸੁਹਾਗਨਿ ਥੂਕ ਮੁਖਿ ਪਈਆ ॥੭॥
कीओ सीगारु मिलण कै ताई प्रभु लीओ सुहागनि थूक मुखि पईआ ॥७॥
kee-o seegaaru milan kai taa-ee parabhu lee-o suhaagan thook mukhi pa-ee-aa. ||7|| SGGS 836-10
Did makeup for the meeting Prabhu accepted Suhaagan receiving Saliva through the mouth.

Quote "May be when one gets the wisdom of God and God himself it is called being Suhagan so at that stage may be their is no need of two spouses or duality to exist."
How many lives Jeevs have lived expecting? The true Gurus never used the words 'may be'.

God is ONENESS. Duality or numerality is the illusion.

Balbir Singh

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਕੀਓ ਸੀਗਾਰੁ ਮਿਲਣ ਕੈ ਤਾਈ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਲੀਓ ਸੁਹਾਗਨਿ ਥੂਕ ਮੁਖਿ ਪਈਆ ॥੭॥
कीओ सीगारु मिलण कै ताई प्रभु लीओ सुहागनि थूक मुखि पईआ ॥७॥
Kī­o sīgār milaṇ kai ṯā­ī parabẖ lī­o suhāgan thūk mukẖ pa­ī­ā. ||7||

(Translation by Sant Singh Khalsa)
She may adorn herself to meet her Husband Lord, but still, only the virtuous soul-bride meets God, and the other's face is spat upon. ||7||

(Translation by Manmohan Singh)
The bride bedecks herself to meet with her Spouse, but the chaste brides obtain the Lord and her face is spat at.

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM