Islam - Are Sikh Women Expected To Cover Head At All Time? | Page 2 | Sikh Philosophy Network
  • Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Are Sikh Women Expected To Cover Head At All Time?

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Though I am not an authority to guide someone on this aspect, yet I would like to speak out my experience on such matters.
As per SRM keeping of hair is mandatory as also covering your head when you enter a Gurdwara or when you are ( not a religious edict but a social practice/custom) in the presence of your husband's (if you are married) Male relatives who happen to be elder to your husband.
I personally do not deem it fit, girls/women, tying Turbans. A dupatta is good enough. For sports the girls can tie a scarf.
Two points.

First, the SRM deems it fit for a woman to tie turban, if she chooses.

Sikh Reht Maryada
Section Four
CHAPTER X
Living in Consonance with Guru's Tenets (Gurmat Rehni)
Article XVI
t. For a Sikh, there is no restriction or requirement as to dress except that he must wear Kachhehra (A drawer type garment fastened by a fitted string round the waist, very often worn as an underwear.) and turban. A Sikh woman may or may not tie turban.
Second point (usually overlooked). The SRM spells out the minimum that a Sikh should do. One can always choose to do more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Shabad Vichaar by SPN'ers

ਗਉੜੀ ਮਹੱਲਾ ॥੫॥ Raag Gauri | Guru Granth Sahib 199

ਗਰੀਬਾ ਊਪਰਿ ਜਿ ਖਿੰਜੈ ਦਾੜੀ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਸ ਅਗਨਿ ਮਹਿ ਸਾੜੀ ॥੧॥ ਪੂਰਾ ਨਿਆਉ ਕਰੇ ਕਰਤਾਰੁ ਅਪੁਨੇ ਦਾਸ ਕਉ ਰਾਖਨਹਾਰ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

ਆਦਿ ਜੁਗਾਦਿ ਪਰਗਟੀ...

SPN on Facebook

On a scale of dominating ones, which vices affect you the most and Explain Why? You can make multipl

• Kam (Lust)

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Krodh (Rage)

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Lobh (Greed)

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Moh (Attachment)

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Ahankar (Ego)

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Not Sure!

Votes: 4 10.0%