• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Are Nihangs: A Legacy To Behold And A Core To Build From?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
We in Sikh body are seeing tremendous challenges through the degeneration of our once revered institutions. Be it the SGPC, the Akali Dal politicians or the goings on through the Akal Takht Sahib institution. Lot of it is very disturbing, abhorrent and distasteful. It reeks of members of these institutions having sold the Sikh panth/community to interests damaging to core of Sikhism. We may not be alone as this is a natural occurrence in the life cycle and development of most religions.

At times like this it behooves on the believers, guardians and well wishers to rise up to the challenge. If the core or elements of purity in the religion have life in them then there is a much greater chance for the main body to recover.

The question is, are the Nihang Jathebandis and Dals such a core that we could help ourselves with to save ourselves? Nihangs have shown over time their velour, their ability to sacrifice and be the straight thinkers and shooters versus the more convoluted and damaging organization that exist in the name of Sikhism.

I believe we are at a stage where we need to address and accord respect, recognize and get help from the Nihang Jathebandis and Dals to rejuvenate Sikhism from the core out.

What you think?

Sat Sri Akal.

PS: Let us not make this a thread about Niddar Singh and pros-cons on what and how things happen around him. Nihangs and their heritage is much more than that. mundahug

Attachments

• nihungs_nihangs.jpg
    nihungs_nihangs.jpg
    40.9 KB · Reads: 563
Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Goat meat is good, marijuana will be standard offering everywhere like beer in 50 years and Nihangs are never confused about the complex of Hindu/Sikh. Oh the wise one.

The following are people beyond reproach if you ever came across more than just videos and internet chatter. The stuff these carry is made to be used not just ceremonial.

nihangsikhsatgurdwarabanglasahibdel.jpg

Anything positive to add Ms.

Sat Sri Akal/Namaste

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Well most nihags that I see cut goats alive and do drugs aca marijuana aka bhaang.

..would it be ok.... if they cut "DEAD" goats ? (rather than the alive ones ).....:singhbhangra:
as a side note..The Film Censorship Board of india has with-held Public showing of the Film Rise of the Khalsa on the flimsy excuse..Nihungs mistreat their horses...and thus the Film maker must first ensure the Nihungs shown have never mistreated their horses...there must be something about THE RISE OF THE KHALSA.. even in film form) that makes people tremble...enough to hide behind alleged animal rights when even human rights are ignored..:tablakudi:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
A lot of sanatan sikhs are vegetarian, but it is not what we are supposed to be Bhenji, also, if you search youtube for nihangs, goats and marijuana, that is what you will see, try looking for nihang on its own and a whole new world will materialise.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Err, well you are supposed to be vegetarian in this religion, why do you think thee is a thread called "fools who wrangle over flesh"?

Have you actually read THAT Thread Jios ?? Its the direct OPPOSITE of what you are saying....real FOOLS always Wrangle over DIET instead of engaging in real BHAGTEE ( following His HUKM in PRACTISE..daily LIVES CHANGING due to this practsing...practising..practising...). So the moment anyone drags in the "diet" thingy into an otherwise normal Thread...then thats what i mean...This is a THREAD about NIHUNGS..not meat eating or daal eating. Eat what you love....many a person is so "drugged" on Daal he/she will kill for Amritsaree Mahan dee daal....People put Tarrka to daal, add Ghee and condiments..and then do an about turn and declare..TASTE ?? No lah...i ma not addicted tomtaste..its NOT about taste..its the Mutton eater who is after "taste"..i eat daal...definitley NOT for taste...and they expect you to beleive them !! IF daal is NOT about taste..then just add water and boil it and eat....as Farid Ji says..Roti meri kaath ki..lavan meri bhukh..jinah khadhee CHOPPRREE....WHY add huge lops of Butter/ghee/makhan/etc on ROTI...is it for "TASTE" ????? supremely hypocritical ...Gurbani revers the TRUTHFUL LIVING...eat plain unchopree roti with plain boiled daal if one is a true vegetarian...????
Lets concentrate on NIHUNGS please...add to the thread..jios..

Feb 6, 2012
Zürich
Satsriakal.

The Nihangs are much more than cutting goats and drinking Bhang...

We shoud show more resoect to Nihangs, they r a very interesting part of the Sikh culture.
They the warriors,that made as strong in war times, they leafe there lives on the frontline to protect our culture and religion.

They exist since the times of the Gurus, they have the permition from Guru Gobind Singh Ji himself... some sources say that the Nihangs was found by Guru Gobin Singh Ji, some other sources say that they are much more old.
they can be found in Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

And the Jhatka (cutting Goat), is a part of our Warrior Tradition. And was practice, from the Khalsa since Guru Gobind Singh, and please dont forget that Guru Gobind Singh Ji himself didt Jhatka at founding day of the Khalsa.

and also the Bhang (Shaheedi Degh) has a very long tradition in Sikh culture...

BaljinderS

SPNer
Dec 29, 2011
Mere piare veero... every effort has been made to demilitarize Sikhs and make them defenseless. Just look at the state of us now from what we were. All they want us to be is sitting ducks.. so they can do as they can do as they please without any comeback.

The enemies know very well that Sikhs do not fear or frighten anyone. They never have and never will. Just look at the below clip of Lion walking with sheep's around him..

Jagtar Singh Hawara slapped Hindu Suraksha Samiti activist - YouTube

This is part of our tradition(as Pritam Singh veer ji said). Sikhs have never tried to convert others to their ideology so why are Hindus making every effort to do the opposite?? If they say we are Hindus..then why all this effort? They don't need to do anything?? right???

Its NOT EVEN WORTH TALKING ABOUT diets as it has nothing to do with Sikhism... Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is our Guru and the nihung spirit is in their.

Lets LEARN, UNDERSTAND AND LIVE the true spirit of Nihungs. Sorry if I offended anyone.. that was not my intention.

Feb 6, 2012
Zürich
there a r two holy scriptures more from the sikhs...
we have them before with Guru Granth Sahib Ji in the Gurdwaras. Today just the Nihangs use them in Gurdwaras, the Sri Dasam Granth and the Sri Sarbloh Granth. i found a lot of sources about the Dasam Granth, but nothing about Sarbloh Granth...
The only Thing i no that The Sarbloh Grant was used just by Nihangs, thats why maybe i didnt found sources about it.

so the question is did anyone, have informations about the Sarbloh Granth from the Nihangs??? Sources,Weblinks ect?...
i have heard that the Sarbloh Granth was written by Guru Gobind Singh Ji... hope some one about it
Satsriakal

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
It would be great if nihangs could rejuvenate sikhism.
They are the ultimate warriors that made the ultimate army.

When I hear the word Nihang, the first things that come to mind is the complete blue bana with big dumalla, sword and spear, battlefield,shastar vidiya, Anandpur,story of Bachittar Singh battling the charging elephant.
I know that alot of the others have the bhang coming to mind first. It's sad, as these bhang practices apparently crept in slowly due to strong hindu influences that have infiltrated the temples in the last couple of hundred years.

Sadly, the shastars are of less use in this day and age. Using firearms etc.. is what would be expected but hand combat training would still be a strong element in devoloping skills.

I remember that back in UK there was a strong movement that started with youths mainly calling themselves nihangs. Many held great respect and pride for this group, as they had fantastic combat skills, knew what to do with spears and swords, dressed in the full bana .
But they did lack the spirituality of the historics. They were kind of wannabe nihangs with the intentions of rebuilding sikhism from the core.
Slowly, they faded from the scene.

I think there is still alot of true widespread spirit that was among the historic heretics.
If this could be united and cultivated, new horizons would open.

Waheguru
Luckysingh

Last edited:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Luckysingh ji wonderful post. Thank you. mundahug

Sat Sri Akal.

Gurfateh

I waited a while to see if others would contribute to this post.

I'm not sure if the awareness is not there, as to me it is quite a sensitive but powerful issue..

Perhaps it might be a good idea to try and post some material that can help educate all of us the importance and great spiritual charachters of the Nihangs.
'Khalsa mera roop hai khaas'- there is no better example that I can think of besides the Nihangs that abide by this quote by Guru Gobind Singh Ji

'jo jo prem khailan ka chaou, sir thar thallee gallee mere aiao'-when taking amrit from the panj pyare, this comes to my mind.
You virtually must be prepared to give your head as the ceremony proceeds..... How many would actually do that in reality????
There is no better example than the original Nihangs.

This is my perception i'm sorry if I offend but I feel that when you look and consider the mentality and true spirit of the Nihangs.... It puts the rest of the sikh kaumh to shame...(i'm sorry if i offended, but I mean what I say)

We could ALL learn a great deal from these forefathers and better the whole Sikh kaaumh.

Waheguru
LuckySingh

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Let me just continue from the above post.

Ambersaria ji,

I'm sorry that I didn't make it clear but I was trying to suggest that we could get some links or highlight pastes from other sources etc to help let us all get a clearer uniform understanding and feel for the Nihangs.
This way we could all be on the same wavelenghth in terms of awareness of this issue.

I'm not being lazy, It's just that I'm new and still climatising to the spn format.
You have posted some useful links along with other members that have been great for knowledge expansion.

I'm still trying to learn and shovel along with trying to identify the better researched.

Thank-you

LuckySingh

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Luckysingh Veer no worries or rush.

I believe "nihanghsingh dot org" has some good material that can be brought in with due reference. Including the names and background of the six Nihang Batallions.

For example the following extracted from the mentioned site,
‘The Nihangs are today divided into several groups or Dals each with its own cantonment and a headman, but are loosely organised into two Dals – Budha Dal and Tarna Dal, names initially given to the two sections into which the Khalsa army was divided into 1733 CE.’ (Surjit Singh Gandhi, History of the Sikh Guru’s Retold, page 1003)

Key DALs,

• Shiromani Panth Akali Budha Dal, Panjva Takht
  • Tarna Dal Khyale Wale
  • Baba Bidhi Chand Dal
  • Tarna Dal Baba Bakala
  • Tarna Dal Guru Nanak Dal
  • Tarna Dal Harienwela Dal

The Budha Dal was supreme in terms of authority in exercising decision making within the Khalsa. It was also responsible for managing the affairs of Sikh shrines, the Khalsa treasury and political matters. Therefore, the leader of Budha Dal was traditionally considered the head of the entire Sikh community, par with the role Baba Binod Singh was bestowed by Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji as the supreme commander of the Khalsa Panth. We see this pattern continuing into the 1800s with the unchallenged authority of Akali Phula Singh and his Nihang warriors. Even in the twentieth Century Baba Teja Singh and Baba Sahib Singh Kaladhari, both Jathedars of Budha Dal, served with their band of warriors at the Akaal Takht from where Sikh leadership has traditionally been exercised. The Nihang Singhs and other Sikh groups who prescribe to more traditional tenants of the Sikh faith still recognise the supreme authority of Budha Dal and its leader. At major festival it is custom for the of Budha Dal to lead the procession of the Khalsa. The leaders of various battalions accompanied by their respective battle standards then traditionally congregate around the leader of Budha Dal recognising his position of Commander in Chief of the Khalsa.

Within each Dalpanth various posts of responsibility are given. The various posts which need to be filled include, but are not limited to:

Jathedar – supreme leader of the battalion who often stays stationary.
Mit Jathedar – second in charge, often leads the dalpanth.
Mukhtiare-aam – can be thought of like Prime Minister (serves only the Budha Dal)
Likhari – scribe
Khajanchi – treasurer
Head Granthi – responsible for the readers of scriptures who are referred to as a pathi.
Raagi – musicians who perform Asa Di Var on mornings and Sodar Chounkee in evening
Kathavachik – gives discourse on religious sermons from the scriptures
Nagarchi – beats the battle drum
Nishanchi – flag bearers
Garvaee – personal assistant to a senior or elderly Nihang Singh.
Chatkaee – responsible for chatka
Darji – responsible for making clothes
Langeri – in charge of the kitchen
Raghraee – prepares Sukhnidhan at least twice a day – usually 12 am and 12pm
Dhoppea – Twice a day they the light incense and take it round the entire encampment
Very wonderful and organized structure with needs both functional and spiritual addressed.

Please comment and add as how we can learn or see Sikhism as one stream with different parts in the Mosaic.

Sat Sri Akal.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Thanks, this Nihangsingh.org site looks great and informative.
It is the sort of material I was hoping and searching for.

I will get into it and start learning more

Thanks once again

Luckysingh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Here is a write up on whats known as saints today..aka brahmgyanis..aka sri 108 ji..aka sahib sri singh sahib ji and what not...THEY are MILES away from what Gurbani says they should be...

http://rozanaspokesman.com/fullpage.aspx?view=main&mview=Feb&dview=15&pview=13

An example: Guru nanak ji was a Brahmgyani..He ahd knowledge of the Brahm..thats how he told us about the patala patal lakh agas..worlds and planets and suns and stars...in stark contrast to established beliefs of the day.... so a Modern day BRAHMGYNAI hsould eb able to easily tell us if theres water on mars..a relatively EASY question since Mars is so near to us and a Brahmgyani ahs knowledge of brahm....NASA can save BILLIONS and TRILLIONS of USD being spent..and the worlds poor cna be fed and clothed and housed with the money saved..if that isnt a SACHA SAUDA ??? then what is ?? Whats the sort of Brahmgyan these fakes are having..which is NOT available for free in SGGS nayway ??

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Gyani Ji

If a True Saint were to say there is water on Mars ,even if there was not any water there before he said it ,there would be afterwards, as God abides on his tongue.

Last edited:

lionprinceuk

(previously Lion_Prince_Jatinder)
SPNer
Jun 29, 2004
west london
there a r two holy scriptures more from the sikhs...
we have them before with Guru Granth Sahib Ji in the Gurdwaras. Today just the Nihangs use them in Gurdwaras, the Sri Dasam Granth and the Sri Sarbloh Granth. i found a lot of sources about the Dasam Granth, but nothing about Sarbloh Granth...
The only Thing i no that The Sarbloh Grant was used just by Nihangs, thats why maybe i didnt found sources about it.

so the question is did anyone, have informations about the Sarbloh Granth from the Nihangs??? Sources,Weblinks ect?...
i have heard that the Sarbloh Granth was written by Guru Gobind Singh Ji... hope some one about it
Satsriakal

Please see website: http://www.manglacharan.com/

Satsriakal

Also main dharam of Akali Nihangs and Khalsa is not sant/saint dharam but kshatriya/shattri/warrior dharam!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: