• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Are Copyrights Against Sikhi?

Dr.Alta

SPNer
Apr 16, 2018
First thing a little parable from Everthing's 13

As a young man working as a storeman, Guru Nanak Dev Ji, the first Guru, was counting out the goods ordered by customers. When he got to 13 and said ‘Tera’” he felt he was saying to the Creator that “This is yours” and then couldn’t move onto 14 as everything he touched was also made by the Creator. In this spiritual connection to the Creator, Nanak kept repeating “Tera” and handing out more and more provisions. The customers were getting a great deal of food for free!!

The store owner (not there at the time) heard of this and sent the town police to stop Nanak. When questioned, Nanak explained his actions and was ordered to make up the owners loss from his own wages. However when the stores were checked, there was no shortfall, everything was exactly as it should have been.

Notice he didn't have to pay for the lost sales.

As Thomas Jefferson put it:
It would be curious then, if an idea, the fugitive fermentation of an individual brain, could, of natural right, be claimed in exclusive and stable property. If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it. Its peculiar character, too, is that no one possesses the less, because every other possesses the whole of it. He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. That ideas should freely spread from one to another over the globe, for the moral and mutual instruction of man, and improvement of his condition, seems to have been peculiarly and benevolently designed by nature, when she made them, like fire, expansible over all space, without lessening their density in any point, and like the air in which we breathe, move, and have our physical being, incapable of confinement or exclusive appropriation.

Doesn't copyright go against the principles of sharing and helping one another that are core to Sikhi?

Copyright not only says that I will not share with you but others can't share with you ether.

To quote the Free Software Song:

Hoarders can get piles of money,
That is true, hackers, that is true.
But they cannot help their neighbors;
That's not good, hackers, that's not good.

Last edited:

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK

As a young man working as a storeman, Guru Nanak Dev Ji, the first Guru, was counting out the goods ordered by customers. When he got to 13 and said ‘Tera’” he felt he was saying to the Creator that “This is yours” and then couldn’t move onto 14 as everything he touched was also made by the Creator. In this spiritual connection to the Creator, Nanak kept repeating “Tera” and handing out more and more provisions. The customers were getting a great deal of food for free!!

The store owner (not there at the time) heard of this and sent the town police to stop Nanak. When questioned, Nanak explained his actions and was ordered to make up the owners loss from his own wages. However when the stores were checked, there was no shortfall, everything was exactly as it should have been.

As Thomas Jefferson put it:
It would be curious then, if an idea, the fugitive fermentation of an individual brain, could, of natural right, be claimed in exclusive and stable property. If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it. Its peculiar character, too, is that no one possesses the less, because every other possesses the whole of it. He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. That ideas should freely spread from one to another over the globe, for the moral and mutual instruction of man, and improvement of his condition, seems to have been peculiarly and benevolently designed by nature, when she made them, like fire, expansible over all space, without lessening their density in any point, and like the air in which we breathe, move, and have our physical being, incapable of confinement or exclusive appropriation.

Doesn't copyright go against the principles of sharing and helping one another that are core to Sikhi?

Copyright not only says that I will not share with you but others can't share with you ether.

To quote the Free Software Song:

Hoarders can get piles of money,
That is true, hackers, that is true.
But they cannot help their neighbors;
That's not good, hackers, that's not good.
Respect!

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN

This is what happens when we start taking a parable/saakhi (fake?) on its face value, literal meanings ruin the essence of the message. Do you think or suggest that the Guru would steal from the store owner. Only the gullible would think it is a true story.

And, this fake parable (saakhi) is being attributed to a Guru who literally proclaimed on SGGS Ang 141:

Hak paraya nanaka, ous suar ous gaaye ||
Gur peer hama ta'n Bhare ja murdaar na khaaye ||
Galli bhisat na jaiyeh chooteh sach kamaye ||
Maaran paaye haram mein hoye halalna jaaye ||
Nanak galli koodayee koodon palle paaye ||

Literally means – if you use something, which is not earned by you or on which you have no right to use, is like eating beef by Hindus and eating pork by Muslims. He not only propagated this theoretically but demonstrated it practically by grazing the cattle, working in Modikhana (stores) and carrying out cultivation in Kartarpur at the end of his life.

The message of Sab Tera (Everything 13) has been expounded in a very poor way by the author of the fake parable/saakhi.

If we go through Guru Granth Sahib ji, each and every word has been attributed to its respective authors... Even when a Guru has expounded on a shabad of another Guru or Bhagat, it is clearly stated... so, again, above shabad kicks in... Hak paraya nanaka, ous suar ous gaaye || if you use something, which is not earned by you or on which you have no right to use...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM