• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Anti-Sikh Riots Cases Lawyer To File Defamation Case

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Anti-Sikh riots cases lawyer to file defamation case<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=blackbold></TD></TR><TR><TD class=blacktextgen>2010-07-24 - 05:30:00

Sify News

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=24></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%" align=left></TD></TR><TR><TD height=32></TD></TR><TR><TD class=blacktext align=left>New Delhi: Senior advocate H S Phoolka, who has been handling the 1984 anti-Sikh riots cases on behalf of all victims, on Friday said he would file a defamation suit against former Delhi High Court judge R D Sodhi for accusing him of professional misconduct.

"I am going to file a defamation suit against justice R S Sodhi for making statement against me. He should have thought before questioning my credentials," Phoolka told media persons.

Phoolka was referring to justice Sodhi's statement, in which he had said a senior advocate had got monetary benefit for handling riots cases.

Countering the allegation Phoolka said he had not taken "even a rupee" for appearing in these cases.

"These are the baseless allegations to divert my attention from the anti-Sikh riots cases, which are at crucial stage in the court," he said.

Phoolka has been on the forefront of raising a banner of support for the riots victims during judicial proceedings.

He has been appearing on behalf of the victims in riots cases filed against senior Congress leaders Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar.

Phoolka had decided to withdraw from all the riots cases following allegations of "personal benefits" levelled against him by justice Sodhi and President of Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC).

However, on Thursday, he said he would continue handling the cases after Akal Takth -- the apex decision making body in the Sikh religion -- intervened and asked him to continue appearing on behalf of the victims.

source:
http://sify.com/news/anti-sikh-riots-cases-lawyer-to-file-defamation-case-news-national-khxtubhjedg.html

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Soul_jyot ji

I may be wrong - not a lawyer. But this looks like H.S. Phoolka will not be returning to defend victims of Sikh genocide.

The defamation case makes complete sense given all that has transpired - that we know about from published reports.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM